Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2015, 01:10 PM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times

Advertisements

Trump is the man right now but will he be able to hold on to earn the nomination? Who knows but there are plenty of people right behind him ready to take over in the polls. The Republicans have 18 candidates at last count so who is running for the Democrats?

It seems that Hillary is circling the drain. Why anyone would even consider her and all the excess baggage she carries who believes anything that comes out of her mouth?
Are there any other candidates in the Democrat pool or have they pinned all hopes on Hillary?

Joe Biden has given a run a thought. How about John Kerry or is he waiting to get his Noble Peace prize for the Iran deal first? How about Al Gore or is he too busy inventing the internet and saving the world from global warming by flying his private jet all over the place to talk about it?
How about Obama rewriting the Constitution so he can have a third term?

It is a crazy mixed up world we live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2015, 01:13 PM

5,897 posts, read 3,898,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cape Cod Todd View Post
Are there any other candidates in the Democrat pool or have they pinned all hopes on Hillary?
Many Dems are flirting with Bernie, but I think they'll regain their senses, stick with the status quo, vote for Hillary, and pretend we're in the land of milk and honey.

Old 07-27-2015, 04:03 PM

1,057 posts, read 1,130,450 times
Quote:
Trump is the man right now but will he be able to hold on to earn the nomination? Who knows but there are plenty of people right behind him ready to take over in the polls. The Republicans have 18 candidates at last count so who is running for the Democrats?

It seems that Hillary is circling the drain. Why anyone would even consider her and all the excess baggage she carries who believes anything that comes out of her mouth?

Joe Biden has given a run a thought. How about John Kerry or is he waiting to get his Noble Peace prize for the Iran deal first? How about Al Gore or is he too busy inventing the internet and saving the world from global warming by flying his private jet all over the place to talk about it?

I'll answer your questions by question mark. I'm not a Democrat, but I am following both parties' primaries.

1) No, I don't see Trump winning the nomination. The smart money is still on Bush, but Trump will make things very difficult in the near term.

2) There's Clinton, Sanders, O'Malley, Webb, and Chafee in the running for the Dems. So five as of July 27, 2015.

3) I brought this up in another post, but I have a gut feeling that many Dems aren't voting for her because they really like her. They just see Clinton as the "best" way to keep the GOP out of the White House. It's strategic voting, a necessity in a winner-take-all plurality voting system.

4) There are four other candidates (see #2). Most of the Dems who aren't supporting Hillary are supporting Bernie Sanders, as are a few independents and a small number of Republicans. He's far, far behind in the polls at the moment, but the gap is slowly shrinking. The smart money is still on Clinton to win the nomination, barring a catastrophe.

5) I don't see John Kerry running.

6) Al Gore's done.

7) He won't. Good luck getting 38 states to ratify an amendment to allow Obama to run again. There are only fifteen months left, the GOP controls Congress and a majority of state legislatures, and most voters would disapprove of such an action. How would a third term for Obama happen in the face of such difficult odds?

But yes, it is a crazy mixed up world we live in.

- skbl17

Old 07-28-2015, 07:27 AM

24,484 posts, read 17,220,223 times
"3) I brought this up in another post, but I have a gut feeling that many Dems aren't voting for her because they really like her. They just see Clinton as the "best" way to keep the GOP out of the White House. It's strategic voting, a necessity in a winner-take-all plurality voting system."

That is what scares me the most. People will vote for politics, a sound bite and some because they think it is time we have a woman as president. Any woman. People need to vote for the long term and what is best for the country not the feel good right now vote. I think Obama got votes simply for being black.

I was joking about Obama running for a 3rd term but he seems to do what he wants when it comes to the law of the land. The Rep. Senate is almost afraid to oppose him and he still has a lot of support.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:44 AM

10,829 posts, read 5,434,654 times
Maybe Al Sharpton will run again.

And what about former San Antonio mayor and current HUD Secretary Julian Castro?

I thought he was going to be the Next Big Thing for the Democrats.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:47 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Quote:
That is what scares me the most. People will vote for politics, a sound bite and some because they think it is time we have a woman as president. Any woman. People need to vote for the long term and what is best for the country not the feel good right now vote. I think Obama got votes simply for being black.
Not a crazy idea, considering a lot of white males admitted voting for McCain and Romney because they are white.

Mick

Old 07-28-2015, 08:00 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Maybe Al Sharpton will run again.

And what about former San Antonio mayor and current HUD Secretary Julian Castro?

I thought he was going to be the Next Big Thing for the Democrats.
Castro could be a potential for a VP slot, but he is probably en election or two from running himself. He has plenty of time as he is only 40.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:04 AM

1,069 posts, read 1,047,571 times
Quote:

Oh, come off it, Trump is the biggest nut of them all, he's so full of BS he's about to burst. Bernie Sanders and Rand Paul are the only candidates with any integrity.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:04 AM

5,897 posts, read 3,898,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Not a crazy idea, considering a lot of white males admitted voting for McCain and Romney because they are white.

Mick
And most blacks voted for Obama because he was black.

Old 07-28-2015, 08:12 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
And most blacks voted for Obama because he was black.
92~93% of all Democrats and Republicans voted for their own party candidates.

93% of all blacks voted for Obama.

Your point is?

Mick
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections