Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 03:19 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times

Advertisements

This shows Romney's views of the 2nd amendment....

Quote:
Huckabee: Mitt, I would like to ask you a question that came up during your interview with Tim Russert on "Meet the Press." And it has to do with the Second Amendment. You indicated that you support the Second Amendment, but on that interview, you indicated that you also supported a ban on so-called -- and I use the term "so-called" -- assault weapons and supported Brady.

For many of us who are strong adherents to the Second Amendment, that's not quite consistent, to say you're for Brady and so-called assault gun ban, but support of the Second Amendment, because we see that that's really a denial of the Second Amendment.

I would appreciate some clarification on, do you support Brady? Do you support the assault weapon ban? And your position on exactly what restrictions government should put on Second Amendment rights.

Romney: I do support the Second Amendment. And I believe that this is an individual right of citizens and not a right of government. And I hope the Supreme Court reaches that same conclusion.

I also, like the president, would have signed the assault weapon ban that came to his desk. I said I would have supported that and signed a similar bill in our state.

It was a bill worked out, by the way, between pro-gun lobby and anti-gun lobby individuals. Both sides of the issue came together and found a way to provide relaxation in licensing requirements and allow more people to have guns for their own legal purposes. And so we signed that in Massachusetts and I said I would support that at the federal level, just as the president said he would.

It did not pass at the federal level. I do not believe we need new legislation.

I do not support any new legislation of an assault weapon ban nature, including that against semiautomatic weapons. I instead believe that we have laws in place that if they're implemented and enforced, will provide the protection and the safety of the American people. But I do not support any new legislation, and I do support the right of individuals to bear arms, whether for hunting purposes or for protection purposes or any other reason. That's the right that people have.
Jan. 24 Republican debate transcript - The Debates - MSNBC.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 08:18 PM
LM1

833 posts, read 998,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
If the Supreme Court deems DC's pistol ban unconstitutional, which I have faith that they will. We'll never see another gun ban again.
It's a virtual certainty that if the SCOTUS does rule in favor of "the people" , it will be on extraordinarily narrow grounds that will neither affirm nor prohibit gun control laws in general.

I think everyone agrees that it's OK to have SOME regulations on gun ownership and sales (prisoners, illegal aliens, people under indictment, mental defectives in wards, etc)- the SCOTUS will determine just how far it can go- IN WASHINGTON, DC.

Old 01-25-2008, 10:27 PM

607 posts, read 922,879 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lionking View Post
Gays should actively support gun ownership also,because they are also subjected to hate crimes,but yet again gays often favor liberal politicians because of other gay issues.
I for one am gay and support gun ownership but not liberal politicians. That's why my vote goes to Ron Paul!

Old 01-31-2008, 03:47 PM

44 posts, read 102,330 times
Hellary and Boobama are watergun wackos! I will definitely vote for Ron Paul on this issue, the 2nd Amendment is important!

Old 01-31-2008, 04:18 PM

266 posts, read 1,333,638 times
Does anyone have a link to NRA grades for all the remaining candidates, Dem. and GOP? I've been looking all over, and can only find them for Paul and Huckabee.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:22 PM

4,688 posts, read 10,105,114 times
Gun control isn't close to a priority for the Democrats as a national issue. I don't think there's been a single gun control bill introduced in either chamber this session.

Old 01-31-2008, 04:28 PM

27,232 posts, read 46,649,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
"People" means us in the 1st, 4th, 9th, and 10th amendments, right? So why does "people" in the second amendment mean the national guard or armed forces to most politicians?
because all those "people" are supposed to be ready to defend their country instead of relying on a standing, professional army.

There's nothing wrong with everyone keeping their guns down at the armory so that they could respond to an attack.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:38 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
The answer is that the only person supporting the 2nd Amendment was Fred Thompson. Now that he is gone, it will be a fight with any candidate.

Take away the 2nd Amendment and you can lose all the rest.

Not many people realize that.... Obama, Clinton and McCain are all totally anti-gun. Romney is the best of the 4 choices.

Old 01-31-2008, 07:39 PM

4,135 posts, read 10,813,590 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TKramar View Post
because all those "people" are supposed to be ready to defend their country instead of relying on a standing, professional army.

There's nothing wrong with everyone keeping their guns down at the armory so that they could respond to an attack.
And if you need to access a gun in the event of -- let's say -- a home invasion? Do you run to the armory? Get real.

Old 02-01-2008, 05:02 PM

44 posts, read 102,330 times
Ron Paul is 100% on gun owners rights, he believe if you are a law abiding citizen, you could carry a concealed weapons, even if you happen to traveling state to state!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections