Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-25-2008, 09:45 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
Folks, I noticed one part of that debate didn't get much press so far today and it was quite telling about the currently anointed front runner, John McCain. When Ron Paul asked:

McCain's response was that of a deer in the headlights look. The man was totally lost and didn't have a clue as to what Ron Paul was even talking about. When he started to carry on about Phil Gramm and Warren Rudman and "Gramm-Latta and all of those people got the first real tax cuts done" back in 1982, which was five years before the executive order that created the Working Group on Financial Markets. (the plunge protection team)

John McCain's answer just showcased the fact that it appears he knows less about economics than I do, and I don't know squat about economics but at least I knew what the Working Group was and when and why it was formed and what Ron Paul was asking.

I just find it odd that no one has mentioned this exchange today as it was the one thing that made John McCain appear to be the empty warhead he really is.
When McCain was asked that I looked at my husband and smiled. I said here goes the I have no idea what you are talking about but I will try to look like I do answer. He didn't address the question at all. He did that a couple of times. Al I heard was Pork Pork Pork and security. Just the fact that he won in SC and possibly Florida has my husband rethinking our moving there someday!!!!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-25-2008, 09:46 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,855,247 times
Of course McCain doesn't know diddly betwee the dollar and the euro.. he probably thinks they are toys to play with. He even stated that OTHERS would manage the economy. So what does he do exactly? Oh yeah, he wants to extend the Iraq war for another 100 years... uhhhh... this guy is a moron...

Old 01-25-2008, 10:32 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,158,279 times
Quote:
McCain's response was that of a deer in the headlights look. The man was totally lost and didn't have a clue as to what Ron Paul was even talking about. When he started to carry on about Phil Gramm and Warren Rudman and "Gramm-Latta and all of those people got the first real tax cuts done" back in 1982, which was five years before the executive order that created the Working Group on Financial Markets. (the plunge protection team)

John McCain's answer just showcased the fact that it appears he knows less about economics than I do, and I don't know squat about economics but at least I knew what the Working Group was and when and why it was formed and what Ron Paul was asking.

I just find it odd that no one has mentioned this exchange today as it was the one thing that made John McCain appear to be the empty warhead he really is.
He also mentioned it on Neil Cavuto's show on Wednesday. There's a youtube of that interview somewhere.

As for the President's working blah blah blah, here's an article from two weeks ago that explains it.

Bush convenes Plunge Protection Team - Telegraph

Quote:
It appears to have powers to support the markets in a crisis with a host of instruments, mostly by through buying futures contracts on the stock indexes (DOW, S&P 500, NASDAQ and Russell) and key credit levers. And it has the means to fry "short" traders in the hottest of oils.
So our government is using tax dollars to artificially prop up the stock market because that's what they mistakenly see as the true indicator of economic health.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:20 AM

471 posts, read 1,508,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floridabound09 View Post
Sure NY Times back Hillary and McCain, they can get almost the same candidate with whoever wins.
Yikes. What an insult for McCain to be endorsed by the NY Times. What Giuliani said about their criticism of him was right on. Frame that baby and put it up on the wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bls5555 View Post
Just wondering WHY he should work with any of these people?
You have to learn to work with people if you really want to get things done, enact change. Try to convince others of seeing things your way. But put yourself in a corner, and you're standing there all by yourself. No progress.

I do wish they gave Paul more time though. More democratic of a process that way...

Romney set the right tone (in contrast to the previous dem's debate) speaking of the trust and respect he has for his fellow candidates in response to one of Tim's early questions, which clearly opened the door for him to attack their character. He closed that door, and talked about the issues as usual.

I think he's clearest in getting his message across. He's intelligent and experienced, and has a broad knowledge base. Others dance around the issues or fall back on general platforms when they don't know what else to say. Romney outlines his thinking when he speaks, and it makes sense. I think the look of smugness some perceive is really the rare look of listening, concentration and thinking found in a politician.

I especially liked what Romney said about our military. The successes in Iraq being due to the blood and courage of our servicemen and women, not to General Hillary. And the well made point of not wanting Bill back in the White House with too much time on his hands. Let's elect a real leader this time people.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:26 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,104 times
BTW, I heard this live on the debate last night. After Russert asks Romney a question someone whispers a hint to Romney. Who was it? Was he fed answers?

YouTube - MSNBC DEBATE: WHO FED ROMNEY THE ANSWER?? LISTEN AGAIN

Does this story have legs?

Old 01-25-2008, 11:28 AM

9,986 posts, read 18,670,703 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MamaBee View Post
BTW, I heard this live on the debate last night. After Russert asks Romney a question someone whispers a hint to Romney. Who was it? Was he fed answers?

YouTube - MSNBC DEBATE: WHO FED ROMNEY THE ANSWER?? LISTEN AGAIN

Does this story have legs?

I heard it, they said raise taxes. Dont know who, but I think he was fed.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by emeraldsky View Post
I especially liked what Romney said about our military. The successes in Iraq being due to the blood and courage of our servicemen and women, not to General Hillary. And the well made point of not wanting Bill back in the White House with too much time on his hands. Let's elect a real leader this time people.
Actually, our success in Iraq is not really our success. We are paying Sunnis (Al-Qaeda) for their loyalty. Remember the Mujahadeen in Afghanistan in the 80s?

Tribal sheiks offer Iraq peace for a price - The Boston Globe
Quote:
US officials tout the fact that the program, credited for a dramatic drop in violence, pays formerly unemployed tribal fighters a monthly salary of about $300 to secure their areas against Islamic militants. But US military leaders in Iraq also acknowledged in interviews that it is the sheik who commands the fighters who initially receives the money, which can add up to $60,000 a month and $720,000 per year for a sheik with 200 fighters.
If we are really winning, why do we need 6 more months, again, to realize it?

Think Progress » Petraeus: I Need Another Six Months To Determine Whether ‘We’ve Reached A Turning Point’

January 22, 2008

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patraeus
We think we won’t know that we’ve reached a turning point until we’re six months past it. We have repeatedly said that there is no lights at the end of the tunnel that we’re seeing. We’re certainly not dancing in the end zone or anything like that.
If Iraq is an issue, please understand that things aren't going as well as the media's lack of coverage would make you think it is.

We're going to allow Iraq to dictate US troop involvement. Talk about losing our sovereignty.

Iraq seeks sharply reduced U.S. military role - Conflict in Iraq - MSNBC.com

Quote:
But a senior member of the Iraqi negotiating team, which has been almost completely appointed, said they would seek to have U.S. troops — who for five years have conducted aggressive combat missions across the country against al-Qaida and other radical Muslim militias — largely confined to their bases.
I understand this thread is about the debates, but this is an important issue considering all but one GOP candidate wants to keep us in Iraq for a long time. If this agreement goes through and the Iraqis get their way, our troops will be there doing nothing. Why? Bring them home.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nea1 View Post
I heard it, they said raise taxes. Dont know who, but I think he was fed.
It was Brian Williams. Russert didn't finish the question.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:35 AM

1,725 posts, read 3,115,104 times
If only we had a video of the moderators at the time. If it was Brian Williams then end of story. I still question it though.

Old 01-25-2008, 11:57 AM

163 posts, read 908,712 times
Quote:
Folks, I noticed one part of that debate didn't get much press so far today and it was quite telling about the currently anointed front runner, John McCain. When Ron Paul asked:

The media should be talking about this, but as usual, they ignore Ron Paul and refuse to even discuss him. I thought it was awesome when RP asked this question, as he obviously crafted the question to prove McCain is clueless, and make him look like a fool.

The problem with RP, is that even though his ideas are spot-on, his delivery is weak, and he simply doesn't have communications skills equal to his opponents. I'm sure this is partially due to the fact that RP was trained as a doctor, and not a lawyer like most other candidates. He needs to have an arsenal of rehearsed answers, just like the guys he's running against. Problem is that he's too genuine to do this.

Paul is seen as a "fringe" candidate, because his ideas are such a radical departure from the reality of how our country is today. The changes he suggest, like doing away with many government agencies, and the Federal Reserve, seem like ill conceived plans that would be impossible to implement. He needs to give specific details of how these changes would occur over time, and how our country would continue to function during the transition. So long as he doesn't provide these types of details, nobody will take him seriously.

The other reason he's getting no attention or respect is the simple fact that 95% of the US Population would rather hear pretty lies than the ugly truth. They think if they ignore, and ridicule what RP is saying, the problems will all just go away. Love or hate the man, he raises some VERY valid points and arguments, and he has the ability to identify the real issues.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections