Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-03-2015, 01:43 PM

2,013 posts, read 1,429,427 times

Advertisements

Still 15 months until the elections. Let's see how he is doing August 2016.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-03-2015, 01:47 PM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
This is good news for Democrats.
It is, Trump will make things much better for both parties.

Old 08-03-2015, 01:54 PM

30,370 posts, read 19,162,886 times
It will be interesting to see if Trump's numbers go up or down after the Debate. I'm guessing down but I could be wrong...he certainly has struck a nerve and garnered more support than I thought he could.

Old 08-03-2015, 02:07 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
I just talk out of both sides of my mouth.

Mick
Does that mean your are going to run for president too ???

Old 08-03-2015, 03:44 PM

12,997 posts, read 13,644,862 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM05 View Post
That's great, lily mae

Now, Please don't muddy the fresh Trump water with anymore Rand Talk!!

I luv this.....and stinking Bush needs to be pushed aside. Roll Trump Roll
Are you a native English speaker?

Old 08-03-2015, 04:13 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,117,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Does that mean your are going to run for president too ???
There's gonna be a big reveal at 8 pm tonight on C-SPAN.

Mick

Old 08-03-2015, 11:35 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I'm going to explain here why I disregard Trump's numbers. Essentially, it's the same reason I disregarded Herman Cain's numbers in 2011, and Rudy Giuliani's numbers in 2007.

Polls are useful, but you have to separate the wheat from the chaff. In the modern primary and caucus era (which began in 1976), as I've noted in various threads before - such as here: http://www.city-data.com/forum/34911888-post9.html - there are only four types of nominees, as follows:
Incumbent Presidents
Sitting of former Vice Presidents
Sitting or former Governors or Senators
[actually, this trend holds true back through the 1956 election - that's no less than 30 nominees - but I consider those before 1976 to be less statistically relevant]

So I never considered Cain a contender for a single primary or caucus win, much less to be the nominee. He was just a businessman. And as for Giuliani, the fact that he was a mayor made him a slightly more plausible nominee than Cain, but the fact that he was pro-choice, pro-gun control, and pro-gay rights made it clear he had zero chance to ever be the nominee.

And so it is with Trump. We're currently in the silly season. The highest polling serious candidates (ie, in the absence if a President of a Vice President among the contenders, we're talking solely about Governors and Senators) should be taken seriously. The others (Trump, Carson) can be dismissed (Fiorina can be ignored not only because she's never held any relevant office but also because she's polling under 1%).

So right off the bat, we have the top tier contenders of Bush and Walker and the second-tier contenders such as Rubio, Paul, Cruz, Huckabee, Perry and Christie worth considering, at least initially (I'd immediately write Cruz, Huckabee and Christie off as hopeless, but for different reasons, and so that's another discussion altogether). I'd also add Kasich to the second-tier - even though he's not there yet numerically, he has just entered the race and the data suggest he is making a move.

That's it. This isn't rocket science. This isn't some special year, where none of the conditions that have applied before. Major parties nominate Presidential candidates under very clear-cut conditions. Those who ignore those conditions, those who ignore history and precedence, those whose arguments are nothing more than "Nuh uh!" and "Well... just... because!" need to go and get a clue. They need to learn to properly analyze data. They need to learn the difference between wheat and chaff.

Most of all, they need to stop, stop, stop, stop substituting their wishes and desires for what the totality of the evidence suggests. What you want is meaningless. All that matters is the now viewed through the cautious lens of precedent.
Well this Monmouth poll had some interesting things in it. This from the actual poll:

http://www.monmouth.edu/assets/0/322...246a83da56.pdf

Trump’s support spans nearly all demographic groups:

Ideology – Trump leads Walker 27% to 16% among very conservative voters; has 22% support among somewhat conservative voters to 14% for Bush and 12% for Walker; and takes 28% of the moderate to liberal voter compared to 20% for Bush.

Tea Party – Tea Party supporters back Trump (35%) over Walker (15%) and Cruz (11%). Non-Tea Party supporters split their top support between Trump (20%) and Bush (16%).

Age – Trump (26%) has a clear lead over Bush (15%) and Walker (12%) among voters age 50 and older. Those under 50 years old also prefer Trump (26%) over Walker (10%) and Bush (9%).

Gender – Trump leads among both male and female Republicans, with men (32%) giving him a large advantage over Bush (13%) and Walker (11%). Women (20%) give him a narrower lead over Walker (12%) and Bush (11%).

According to the pollster there's no clear sense of who his constituency is. Old, young, very conservative, somewhat conservative, tea party, non-tea party, moderate to liberal, men and women - he's leading in all of those categories.

Plus, his favorability rating is now the same as Jeb Bush: Trump is 52% favorable to 35% unfavorable. This may be more important than his lead. Last time they polled it was 40% favorable, 41% unfavorable.

I usually look at trending with the same pollster. Who went up and who went down from the last time they polled. In the case of Monmouth it was 3 weeks ago that they polled.

The actual poll has a whole section related to the debate but since Fox News will make that announcement today no sense mentioning it.

Old 08-03-2015, 11:43 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WestCobb View Post
Are you a native English speaker?
Hey, you might finally get some excitement in your Party's zzzzzzzzzzz race. You are excited about Joe Biden maybe getting in, aren't you?

Old 08-04-2015, 12:03 AM

2,345 posts, read 1,670,437 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
I'm going to explain here why I disregard Trump's numbers. Essentially, it's the same reason I disregarded Herman Cain's numbers in 2011, and Rudy Giuliani's numbers in 2007.

This explains why your opinion is totally disregarded around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections