Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-17-2015, 04:56 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,330,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
I don't think GOP would have any choice but to nominate Mr. Trump (assuming he wins the primaries and caucuses). If he goes independent (and you know he will in that circumstance), GOP would presumably (but not necessarily) lose. Would they accept an almost certain loss versus having some chance of a Republican in the White House?

Mick
He won't come out on top in the primaries and caucuses when all it said and done. It'll be some mainstream GOP guy (maybe Bush, maybe someone else). It WON'T be Trump.

Ken
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-17-2015, 05:29 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Oh, no coalition lasts forever, but the GOP is wayyyyyy closer to fracturing than the Democrats are. It could happen in the GOP this election. When Trump doesn't get the nomination (and he won't) his supporters will be PO'ed big time. Remember how ticked the "Paul" people were when they felt they were "push out" at the GOP convention? That's nothing compared to what will happen this time.
Pass the popcorn.

Ken
Wishful thinking. I heard an ABC analyst comment today about how there are similar fractures in both parties making this the year of the outsider--Sanders and Webb on the left, Trump, Carson, and Firorina on the right. The ABC guy also noted that Ted Cruz, who has been moving up in the polls, is kind of an insider-outsider who has fought DC from within DC.

As for Trump, out of all of my conservative friends, I know only one who supports Trump, and he is an ex-rodeo performer who unfortunately has brain damage from rodeo activities (I'm not kidding). IMO Trump is primarily getting support from the low info segment of the right, just as Obama exploited the low info left in 2008. The only difference is that the low info left is more numerous than the low info right. This is why Democrats have a natural advantage in presidential years, when low info voters are more likely to turn out, and a natural disadvantage in mid-terms.

I also wonder how much support Trump is getting from working-class whites who typically would vote Democratic. I haven't seen any data on this, but I'm willing to bet that it is significant. After all Trump takes many positions that would naturally appeal to that segment--protectionism, single payer health care, anti-Mexican-immigration, etc.

Old 08-17-2015, 05:54 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,199,011 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
Wishful thinking. I heard an ABC analyst comment today about how there are similar fractures in both parties making this the year of the outsider--Sanders and Webb on the left, Trump, Carson, and Firorina on the right. The ABC guy also noted that Ted Cruz, who has been moving up in the polls, is kind of an insider-outsider who has fought DC from within DC.

As for Trump, out of all of my conservative friends, I know only one who supports Trump, and he is an ex-rodeo performer who unfortunately has brain damage from rodeo activities (I'm not kidding). IMO Trump is primarily getting support from the low info segment of the right, just as Obama exploited the low info left in 2008. The only difference is that the low info left is more numerous than the low info right. This is why Democrats have a natural advantage in presidential years, when low info voters are more likely to turn out, and a natural disadvantage in mid-terms.

I also wonder how much support Trump is getting from working-class whites who typically would vote Democratic. I haven't seen any data on this, but I'm willing to bet that it is significant. After all Trump takes many positions that would naturally appeal to that segment--protectionism, single payer health care, anti-Mexican-immigration, etc.
This isn't working.

Old 08-17-2015, 06:04 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think Nate Silver should go run after the Scooby van and hope no one throws it in reverse.

Has ANY of the so-called expert analysts been right so far?

I'm not under-educated or low income and referring to a trailer park riot...well, try not to fall off your high horse.
Actually yes, Nate Silver has gotten it exactly right often. He called the last general election to a state. Know why? He doesn't make predictions based on emotion.

"Obama may have won the presidency on election night, but pundit Nate Silver won the internet by correctly predicting presidential race outcomes in every state plus the District of Columbia — a perfect 51/51 score."

And the midterms: "Assuming Landrieu and Begich lose their seats, FiveThirtyEight will have correctly predicted the outcomes of every Senate contest but two."

Was Nate Silver the Most Accurate 2012 Election Pundit? - CFAR

How did Nate Silver’s forecasts stack up against midterm results? - Salon.com

Old 08-17-2015, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Actually yes, Nate Silver has gotten it exactly right often. He called the last general election to a state. Know why? He doesn't make predictions based on emotion.
Which is why he got Hillary wrong. You can't take the numbers from previous candidates and apply them to Hillary.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:26 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,360,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
This isn't working.
That is not much of an argument.

We'll see what happens when the actual primaries start. If a guy who has supported socialized medicine, an assault weapons ban, and confiscation of private property can win a GOP primary I will be shocked, dismayed, and looking for a new political home.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:52 PM

Quote:

We'll see what happens when the actual primaries start. If a guy who has supported socialized medicine, an assault weapons ban, and confiscation of private property can win a GOP primary I will be shocked, dismayed, and looking for a new political home.
It's not about Trump. He could support pulling the wings off of flies and it doesn't matter.

This is what those who claim to be smarter can't seem to grasp.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:26 PM

325 posts, read 255,542 times
Quote:
IMO Trump is primarily getting support from the low info segment of the right, just as Obama exploited the low info left in 2008. The only difference is that the low info left is more numerous than the low info right. This is why Democrats have a natural advantage in presidential years, when low info voters are more likely to turn out, and a natural disadvantage in mid-terms.
Absolutely true - at least in a mathematical sense. You cannot carry a Presidential election by appealing to lower-end white voters, but you certain can take the Senate or House half the time (for another 10 years, anyways). The base is just not strong enough, even with a deep red Texas. When that get's purple-ish, look out.......

The GOP would do a lot better if they embraced a random "RINO" as their standard-bearer and pick-off some moderate voters (married people who make money, upper-middle class conservatives, +15% on Hispanics); for Christ's sake, they couldn't even unite in adequate opposition to a black, left-wing President of conspiratorial immigrant status, which is the Holy Trinity of AM-radio ire.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:31 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,844,326 times
Quote:

Your comment, in bold, is really what the Republicans have always wanted. They have wanted a principled candidate who keeps promises and fights for them. Cruz was saying the same things that Trump has been saying, albeit, in a more polite and educated manner. He's been doing that for 4 years.

The GOP Establishment talking heads are the ones pushing the meme that the people who are the most angry are the low info segment of the right. There are people like Ben Shapiro who take great exception to that. And I know a whole lot of educated people who are angry at the GOP Establishment.

Old 08-18-2015, 02:53 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,746,928 times
Quote:

I see it this way too.

But I have to admit, it's been, by turns, funny and just plain weird, to see all these so-called conservatives line up for Trump, dissing other R contenders as RINOs.

Not to mention his personal life, and the four bankruptcies. Yes, I know it was his businesses that declared bankruptcy - you have to think that he has structured his companies to protect him for the consequences of his risky decisions. AFAIK, his companies have all been privately held.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections