Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-07-2015, 09:06 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,563,362 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
Kelly questioned him on what he had done in a reality TV show. Very little debating took place anyway. It was more of an interview on candidates positions which could have been done better in an interview.
Most people want a sense of fairness in competition. That is why they flip a coin at the start of many team sports. Many times a team has to play well enough to not only beat the other team but also beat the referees. When the moderators become a major part of the story post debate it's because they are not neutral.

A referee is the person of authority in a variety of sports who is responsible for presiding over the game from a neutral point of view.

You don't have to like Trump to dislike what took place at the so called debate. It may be your candidate next time. We see all to often support for unethical behavior. It doesn't need to be seen as a badge of courage.
I think the candidates have to be prepared to sleep in the bed they have prepared for themselves. If they provide fodder for tough questions based on brash/foolish comments they have made, they have to be prepared to defend themselves. If Rubio, Bush, etc. had made some of the statements Trump has made, I think they would have been called out too - it's just that they don't provide such fodder, while Trump does - then he whines about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-07-2015, 10:23 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RVAtoCNC View Post
As a conservative, I flirted with liking Trump off and on. After last night, it's a resounding NO. He was horrible, belligerent, disrespectful, and basically treated the debate forum as a joke - like a reality TV show. I don't totally discount the poster who says he's a Clinton plant, to disrupt the Rep. primaries. I expect him to exit at some point - after he figures he's done enough damage, and if he has enough support remaining, will declare an independent candidacy to take votes away from the Rep. nominee. To be fair, and to look to see if he had any specific agenda, I surveyed his election website - it's totally devoid of any specific plans for anything. His debate verbage was absolutely nothing more than what he has been spouting on Fox and elsewhere for the past few years. It consists of nothing more than accusing the Bama admin of being idiots (I agree with that) but absolutely no plan for what he would do. This guy is a joke. And in all seriousness, with his ego, he would have us in a nuclear showdown or holocaust with Russia or China in about 6 months, and he's so egotistical, he would probably "push the button"
I'm sorry but the debates have been a joke long before Trump decided to run for President. Without Trump there last night it would have just been 10 jack***es basically agreeing with each other or arguing over meaningless arcane bulls**t. It would just be the Yeb! coronation show, which is what they tried to make it anyway.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:23 PM

605 posts, read 704,606 times
Many of us on the (D) side are not surprised at all. We were (and are) enjoying our popcorn.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:29 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,936,812 times
Quote:
Trump made his comments regarding females he didn't like, calling them names, and it was a fair game question Kelly asked him, and he says

“And honestly, Megyn, if you don’t like it, I’m sorry. I’ve been very nice to you, although I could probably not be based on the way you have treated me. But I wouldn’t do that.”

This not how you talk to a moderator in a presidential debate regardless of whether you like the question(he made his bed - let him answer for it) - have some respect. He doesn't. He expects everyone to respect him, but no need on his part to reciprocate.
Crap like this is why the only successful politicians have to be career calculated liars. Can you honestly say you've never made an inappropriate joke or called someone an idiot in your life? Trump is just a businessman, normal citizen and he had a reality tv show for entertainment. Geez, will you people relax and understand this is the reason why we have to always choose between a douche or a turd sandwich.

Old 08-07-2015, 10:35 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,646,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldhag1 View Post
The after the debate verbal diarrhea is enough for no woman with an ounce of self respect to vote for him.

Trump says Fox’s Megyn Kelly had ‘blood coming out of her wherever’ - The Washington Post
Why the thin skin? His comment was directed squarely at Megyn, not you and not at all women.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:38 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:
I think the candidates have to be prepared to sleep in the bed they have prepared for themselves. If they provide fodder for tough questions based on brash/foolish comments they have made, they have to be prepared to defend themselves. If Rubio, Bush, etc. had made some of the statements Trump has made, I think they would have been called out too - it's just that they don't provide such fodder, while Trump does - then he whines about it.

No problem with Kelly making a bed. With some training she might do quite well at it. Adding in words to comments made for incendiary purpose is trying to set the bed on fire. Anderson Cooper, not a fried of Trump, did a search on the words as expressed by Kelly and exposed her for what she was. She fabricated the comments she claimed were made by Trump.
But even if they were true, which they are not, would someone like Clint Eastwood, or Ronald Reagan who were Hollywood actors who played parts, that slapped and raped women, be held to that standard. Not many seem to think so.

Bush (and Hillary) could have been called out on support for Bankruptcy which is a position they both support for Puerto Rico. So your claim that there is no double standard, on that issue, wouldn't hold water.

If you think defending yourself and trying to set the record straight is whining then why bother to whine about anything Trump does. The obvious reason would be you support someone else and like many people would benefit if he was gone. That's understandable.

Last edited by phma; 08-08-2015 at 01:07 AM..

Old 08-08-2015, 12:42 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,438,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Was he lying?? Did he lie?
Meg has slammed him on Fox News repetitively before the debates.

When the truth is treason........

You should hear what I call women that have crossed me and I don't like......
I bet you have some doozies too, about people that have crossed you.
What I like about "The Donald" is, he is not PC. It drives the snooty intellectuals insane.

I agree with you, the one thing about the Donald, whether you like him or not. He is no Phony.

I believe you, I hear with some of our men friends say about some women, sometimes not so nice.

If you judge others, also judge yourself.

Old 08-08-2015, 12:44 AM

19,893 posts, read 18,438,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annilyna View Post
Many of us on the (D) side are not surprised at all. We were (and are) enjoying our popcorn.

Then you must have stock in Popcorn, because of who you gave us to run the W.H.

And we are not surprise some voted him in twice!

Old 08-08-2015, 01:35 AM

1,763 posts, read 2,045,946 times
she started it.
or Fox made her start it.

I wouldn't vote for trump, but I actually enjoy his rhetoric.

This election, we may actually have more previously-disinterested people tune in.
Who knows, we may have record voter turnout.

Old 08-08-2015, 01:45 AM

9,418 posts, read 13,491,150 times
Quote:
Not talking about lying, talking about being totally non-presidential, on a national stage in a presidential debate. This guy is taking you all for a ride. Yeah, he talks brash about things a lot of folks want to hear - seal the border, stop the inflow of illegals (I agree). Stop being fools in your deals with foreign governments (I agree). Stop being weak/wimps around the world like we've been (I agree)....BUT... Trump is not the guy. Don't know who it is, but it's not Trump..... sorry.
He's vulgar. Why this appeals to some people (he's just being himself!) escapes me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections