Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2015, 09:49 AM

546 posts, read 408,622 times

Advertisements

I must say I'm pretty cynical about the alleged viewer/voter questions asked in debates. I don't think they come close to what people really would like to ask, and receive straight forward answers to.

For example, here's one I'd like to ask Trump:

Mr. Trump, you've previously stated you've made donations to political candidates for access, not specifically out of agreement with the candidate.

For example, you said Hillary came to your wedding because you'd made donations to her campaign. Was it worth it? (OK, that part was serious-not serious)

Please describe to us how the access and influence over elected candidates has benefited you and/or your business. Be specific with regard to naming the officials, and what you asked for in return for your support.

And as a follow-up, can you specify any political donations you have made that were not made to benefit your business interests, but rather to support the cause of limited government, deficit and spending reduction, and other conservative principles. What candidates have you donated to who have not provided you with any sort of quid quo pro, and weren't expected to, because you agreed with their positions on the issues. If you can't name any, can you name some that were dual in nature?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2015, 10:12 AM

38,936 posts, read 23,889,999 times
If you win the nomination and the party is fractured, what will you do to win back the fractured voters?

Old 08-15-2015, 11:06 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMama View Post
I must say I'm pretty cynical about the alleged viewer/voter questions asked in debates. I don't think they come close to what people really would like to ask, and receive straight forward answers to.

Mr. Trump, you've previously stated you've made donations to political candidates for access, not specifically out of agreement with the candidate.

For example, you said Hillary came to your wedding because you'd made donations to her campaign. Was it worth it? (OK, that part was serious-not serious)

Please describe to us how the access and influence over elected candidates has benefited you and/or your business. Be specific with regard to naming the officials, and what you asked for in return for your support.
I'd like to see that one come up during the Fox News debate so he can mention businessman Rupert Murdoch threw Hillary Clinton a fundraiser when she ran in 2008 and he can ask the moderators if they asked Murdoch what he got out of it.

Old 08-15-2015, 11:09 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
To Marco Rubio, Jeb Bush and Lindsey Graham, "Why should we believe any of you on border security?" Were you lying then or are you lying now?" To Rubio and Bush: "How much money have you gotten from immigration lobbyists?"

Old 08-15-2015, 11:58 AM

Another one for Trump.

Mr. Trump, many Americans are angry about the excessive influence big money has on politicians. You say you are different because you have enough money not to be beholden to anyone. If you were elected, what would you propose to bring about a permanent change in that state of affairs, so we don't immediately return to business as usual at the end of your Presidency?

Old 08-15-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'd like to see that one come up during the Fox News debate so he can mention businessman Rupert Murdoch threw Hillary Clinton a fundraiser when she ran in 2008 and he can ask the moderators if they asked Murdoch what he got out of it.
And that would be a dodge. Murdoch is not running for President.

If it appears Hillary will be the nominee, and he knows of any specific quid pro quo for that fundraiser, that might be worthy of mention, but it still doesn't answer the question of Trump's own activities.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:06 PM

Mr. Sanders, if the House and Senate remain in control of the Republicans, how would you be able to fulfill any of your campaign promises? You wouldn't have the votes for many of the policies you propose. (This could be asked of all the Democratic primary candidates, but I think it is the most pertinent to Sanders, as he is ostensibly the furthest to the left)

Old 08-15-2015, 12:09 PM

24,399 posts, read 26,946,756 times
The public is tired of big promises during elections, but no action when elected. Why should we believe you will be any different and what specifically would you focus on during your first 100 days in office?

-This could be asked to any candidate. I'm not into questions that deal with past issues, I want to know about their solutions for the future.

Old 08-15-2015, 12:48 PM

9,890 posts, read 10,821,477 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMama View Post

And as a follow-up, can you specify any political donations you have made that were not made to benefit your business interests, but rather to support the cause of limited government, deficit and spending reduction, and other conservative principles. What candidates have you donated to who have not provided you with any sort of quid quo pro, and weren't expected to, because you agreed with their positions on the issues. If you can't name any, can you name some that were dual in nature?
My question... How are you going to deal with the twin limp dicks Boehner/McConnell ?

Old 08-15-2015, 12:49 PM

8,551 posts, read 10,973,619 times
This would be for ALL the candidates.

"Why should I vote for you"?

Bob.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections