Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2015, 08:55 PM

54 posts, read 43,605 times

Advertisements

So, you can add your own candidate + running mate of your choosing. I will only be choosing the top-tier candidates from each side.

Republicans-
(I will still be leaving Trump out, because I do not see any chance that he wins the nomination)
Marco Rubio-Scott Walker ticket
Marco Rubio-John Kasich ticket (Florida/Ohio ticket)

Scott Walker-Marco Rubio

Jeb Bush: I could see him picking a female VP nominee for some reason. I do not think Fiorina would be a wise choice for a national ticket. Nikki Haley, maybe, but she is not a governor of a battleground state. Overall, I am not sure about Bush's VP choice. So, as of now, maybe Bush-Haley, but that is a weak prediction.

Democrats-
Clinton-Kaine
x Clinton-Castro (People think he will be the pick, but I think he is too young and he will be ready in the '20s)

If Biden jumps in and wins..
I think Biden would choose a female, as well.
Biden-Gillibrand (the main negative with this one is that it would be a Delaware-New York ticket, not enough geographic diversity).

So, pick the likeliest nominee choices plus a possible running mate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2015, 09:43 PM

546 posts, read 408,622 times
I'm not even going to try to predict the Republican nominee, but if they go with a female VP, could be Kelly Ayotte or Susana Martinez.

Of the people I think might get the nomination....

Trump - Ayotte for her foreign policy in the Senate experience
Walker - Ditto Ayotte
Rubio - Martinez for the executive experience as governor
Cruz - ditto Martinez
Carson - Ayotte
Kasich - Ayotte

I refuse to consider Bush as the nominee

Old 08-17-2015, 06:15 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Democrats

Clinton - Big Al From Ossining or Ed Rendell (former PA governor) if she's pardoned by Obama. This will be the worst job for whichever person she picks because she'll have an ex-president living with her so she's not likely to utilize her VP much for advice.
Sanders - No idea. Don't know enough about him to know with whom he pals around.
Biden - No idea but if he's really floating a one term presidency, I suspect he'll pick some minority group, middle aged person the party and donors will force on him because they'll want that person to be the next President. Maybe Warren although I suspect the reason she isn't running herself is because she has skeletons in her closet.

Republicans

Trump - No idea but whoever it is it will be a low-key, git 'er done kind of person. His VP will be a workhorse type like a Dick Cheney type who actually has real duties but prefers to stay out of the spotlight, not a showpiece pick, because Trump is the show. It will be a calculated choice done the same way he hires people for business leadership positions.
Carson - No idea but maybe he'll really go outside the box and pick Fiorina.
Fiorina - No idea but she'll go for an establishment pick. Her big donors will heavily influence her choice.
Rubio or Bush - If either one is the candidate I'm not voting. One is an empty suit who speaks well and the other is competent but is bought and is being forced on us. Won't matter to me who they pick for VP.
Cruz - Maybe Gowdy or Mike Lee but I don't actually think Cruz could win. If he ever becomes president I suspect he'll serve for the next president first.
Kasich - He plays the game. Expect a standard pick.
Walker - I don't know.

Old 08-17-2015, 07:51 AM

20,524 posts, read 15,899,930 times
Too fuzzy to call out the VP candidates. Tho add me to the list that neither Hillary nor Jeb will bag their party nominations for POTUS.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:02 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
I disagree with the silly notion that Trump "can't" win the nomination.

If he really wants to wreak King Hillary's campaign strategy then he should pick a Black woman as his running mate. Else, I don't think it really matters. As demonstrated time and time again, people don't vote for the VP.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:13 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Lightbulb Possible Running Mates for the Candidates

For whoever ends up getting the GOP nod:

Palin

She's experienced and a proven performer, beloved by the low-info base.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:15 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Packard fan View Post
Too fuzzy to call out the VP candidates. Tho add me to the list that neither Hillary nor Jeb will bag their party nominations for POTUS.
I agree with this.

If Kasich gets it I think he's be wise to go with Fiorina, Martinez, Ben Carson, or Rubio. Basically, if the Republican nominee is a good old white boy their best chance is to pick a VP that is a minority. Wonder how many spinning heads a Carson/Fiorina combo would create, and from where.

Last edited by Oldhag1; 08-17-2015 at 08:22 AM.. Reason: Autocorrect is not always correct

Old 08-17-2015, 08:18 AM

20,126 posts, read 16,153,979 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
For whoever ends up getting the GOP nod:

Palin

She's experienced and a proven performer, beloved by the low-info base.

I think John McCain might have a little advice about the wisdom of that choice. But, please no. I think I could stomach Trump better..... or maybe not. A Trump/Palin ticket would be the dream team for whoever the Democratic nominee turns out to be.

Old 08-17-2015, 08:38 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,549 times
I could get down on a Trump/Cruz ticket. But I think Trump would pick someone more low key and maybe not even running right now.

Old 08-17-2015, 11:40 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskyMama View Post
I'm not even going to try to predict the Republican nominee, but if they go with a female VP, could be Kelly Ayotte or Susana Martinez.

Of the people I think might get the nomination....

Trump - Ayotte for her foreign policy in the Senate experience
Walker - Ditto Ayotte
Rubio - Martinez for the executive experience as governor
Cruz - ditto Martinez
Carson - Ayotte
Kasich - Ayotte

I refuse to consider Bush as the nominee

One thing with Ayotte is her Senate seat is also up. While it certainly isn't unheard of for someone running for VP to also be up for re-election to their current seat (Biden was in 2008, Ryan was as well in 2012), they both were well entrenched and in a state/seat that is favorable to their party Ayotte on the other hand is a one term Senator in a Dem leaning state who is vulnerable as it is. If she is running for VP and remains on the ticket for Senate, she really won't be actively campaigning for the seat, not what you want to have in a vulnerable seat especially when facing a strong challenger (Governor Maggie Hassan has hinted she will likely run for the Senate)

Granted the impact it will have on the N.H Senate seat won't be the only consideration, but it might certainly be one, because if Ayotte runs for VP the chances of retaining that seat are basically nil if Hassan runs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections