Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2015, 11:43 AM

7,840 posts, read 9,193,148 times

Advertisements

Another wet dream by Trumpies. As somebody said upthread, the Pubbies already have the disaffected, the left behind, and the bigots, all of whom left the Dems decades ago. There is no great pool of Democrats who will slurp up Trump's nonsense and turn Blue States red. In fact, it's more likely that Trump on the GOP ticket will turn Purple and Red States blue.

Trump's negatives are sky high, and the more he panders to the Far Right Wingnuts, the more people who aren't Trumpies think he's unfit to be POTUS. Those who won't vote for whomever the Democrats nominate to thwart Trump, will simply stay home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2015, 12:57 PM

325 posts, read 255,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
How is it that "intellectuals" only recognize the poor uneducated people in their Democrat party at election time? For which brainiacs do you think you have all of those social programs?
You have to phrase that question better - not terribly sure what you are implying (or how it is related to what I wrote). Are "intellectuals" synonymous with the democratic party (implying no intellectuals in the GOP)? Is time, namely "election time", the key variable - and if so, how is that actioned or even relevant?

The Democratic electoral coalition is very much "U-shaped" income curve - one end has the very poor, another end has wealthy professionals (to be distinguished from moderately wealthy small business owners). The middle of that "U", however, is elevated on account of women, young people, unmarried of all ages and universal appeal to minorities (very important, as minorities become the majority by 2035). The GOP coalition is a lump of social conservatives and lower to mid-earning white people, primarily married ones.

The GOP coalition has been losing a lot of Presidential elections, and the country is becoming less white, married or religious with each coming election. Instead of being afraid of "intellectuals", try embracing math and critical reasoning on occasion......

Old 08-18-2015, 01:42 PM

3,537 posts, read 2,734,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
If this were the case Trump would be doing better in the General Election matchups...
He still has not released his platform. After that we will see what happens.

I have been saying since Trump jumped in - anyone who says he is a RWNJ's dream is incredibly misinformed. Trump is a politcal outlier he is not a far right Tea Party Republican.

The man negotiates deals for a living- you think he does not know how to meet somewhere in the middle?
If he did not he would never make a deal.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
Another wet dream by Trumpies. As somebody said upthread, the Pubbies already have the disaffected, the left behind, and the bigots, all of whom left the Dems decades ago. There is no great pool of Democrats who will slurp up Trump's nonsense and turn Blue States red. In fact, it's more likely that Trump on the GOP ticket will turn Purple and Red States blue.

Trump's negatives are sky high, and the more he panders to the Far Right Wingnuts, the more people who aren't Trumpies think he's unfit to be POTUS. Those who won't vote for whomever the Democrats nominate to thwart Trump, will simply stay home.
You cannot say this until he releases his detailed platform.

He is nowhere near the far right on social issues.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:46 PM

37,164 posts, read 19,170,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
A pet theory of mine has been that some of Trump's support is coming from white, working class voters who would normally be voting for the Democratic candidate. At this stage in the polling game, I wonder how well pollsters are able to delineate between likely GOP primary/caucus participants and unwashed masses.

Here is some fuel for the fire:

Are Reagan Democrats Becoming Trump Democrats? | The American Spectator
There's not a Democrat in America that doesn't want Trump to be the GOP nominee. I'd vote for him in the primary if I didn't need to vote for Bernie so badly.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:47 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,140,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dechatelet View Post
Both political parties have failed this country.

Instead of calling Trump a Republican or a Democrat, it might be most accurate to simply call him a Trumpian.
New Blood.. America is dying and we need a transfusion to keep alive.

Old 08-18-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
There's not a Democrat in America that doesn't want Trump to be the GOP nominee. I'd vote for him in the primary if I didn't need to vote for Bernie so badly.
and there is not a Republican who would not want Bernie on the ballot.

I perosnally would love Bernie Vs Trump.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:41 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,350,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pac_5 View Post
Not too far off base, except for the "normally voting Democrat" part. It is a fairly well-polled and documented that lower middle class, undereducated whites, pleasantly given the Euphemism of "working class", are now a prominent part of the GOP coalition, especially in the South and the Plains-state Midwest. Many theorists find two "wedges" that pry them from erstwhile Democratic alignment - social issues and declining Union membership. People get upset when I mention the "trailer park bloc", but it is true - poorer whites are breaking for the GOP, and it is a declining demographic.

The South effectively "flipped" and realigned for the GOP by 1994 (and is now in the process of legitimate demographic makeover to turn more "blue" - witness Virginia as and NC as a starter). The plains went through their process in the 1990s - Missouri as the reliably red vanguard. All the while, the GOP local party apparatus has been very much co-opted by arch-conservatives of an unelectable color. It is simply part of the 2016 GOP electoral coalition, and it has replaced the well-earning professional or social moderate in large numbers. Great for winning Alabama district #3, no so much for Ohio or Pennsylvania.

Bruce Bartlett (he of Ronald Reagan supply-side fame) had a fairly good quote recently in Politico:

“The Trump phenomenon perfectly represents the culmination of populism and anti-intellectualism that became dominant in the Republican Party with the rise of the Tea Party. I think many Republican leaders have had deep misgivings about the Tea Party since the beginning, but the short-term benefits were too great to resist. A Trump rout is Republican moderates’ best chance to take back the GOP.” But first they would have to suffer losses for the White House and in the Senate.

Again, I would place almost no stock in polling at the moment, aside from Trump will consistently poll in the 20% range in GOP selections - almost entirely of lower middle class, xeonophobic whites who will vote single issue and with associated vaguities. While that 20% cannot carry delegate rich California (or even Texas), it can make some serious noise in Iowa, South Carolina and other states - and poison the 2016 GOP wellspring.
I am a blue collar union worker. The union leadership is of course all Democrat, all the time. I talked to my union president recently, and he was enthused about Bernie Sanders. Of my 70 or so immediate co-workers, the vast majority are apolitical. They wouldn't know Trump from stump. There are maybe 15 or 20 who would have the slightest inkling of what he is all about. The demographics of my crew is about 10% black, 5% Hispanic, 5% Asian, and 80% white. Of the 20 or so who even remotely follow politics, I count 4 who are avowedly left-of center, 10 who are right of center, and the rest somewhere in between. There is exactly one vocal Trump supporter.

As far as the comments by Bartlett, I like him and bought one of his books a few years ago. But I don't see that there is really much "anti intellectualism" among conservatives. My preferred candidate (and tea-party favorite) as of now is Ted Cruz, who has a Harvard law degree and was describe by Harvard law prof Allen Dershowitz as one of his most brilliant students ever. Another tea-party favorite was once ranked as the top neurosurgeon in the US. How does that translate to 'anti-intellectualism?' For that matter, even Trump holds a degree from Wharton.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:52 PM

1,442 posts, read 2,562,896 times
I think Trump could take some democrat votes, like the union guys whose jobs are all disappearing overseas, and the other blue-collar redneck, but democrat voters who aren't happy with the illegal immigration and all. I can even see some black voters, by the time it's all said and done, voting for Trump.

Old 08-18-2015, 05:59 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,701,211 times
I don't know any Democrats that support Trump. They think his whole candidacy is funny but no one wants to actually vote for him. I would have no problem supporting him in the GOP primary but I'd have to re-register. This GOP carnival is entertaining. Trump actually said Heidi Klum is no longer a "10". Has he looked in the mirror? The guy is just bizarre.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections