Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2015, 02:37 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times

Advertisements

Maybe we need Common Core after all.

http://elalp.cbalwiki.ets.org/Common...+Comprehension

Q: "Tell us US American student, what was this passage about?"

A: "I read the first line and it said something about rape, so it's about rape"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2015, 03:27 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by victorianpunk View Post

And Ron Paul did not write the articles, unlike Sanders who was proud of that essay at the time. This is Ron Paul on racism:

I'm sure that was just dubbed by the vast right-wing conspiracy, and in fact he was dropping "N bombs" the whole time.
Ron Paul said he didn't write them. I personally don't believe him and I say this as someone who actually likes Ron Paul.

Ron Paul doesn't sound like he has those beliefs anymore and I give him credit for speaking up against racism. I would not call him a racist but can I trust him a 100%? no, just like I can't trust any flip flopper like Trump or Charlie Christ. However I wouldn't bring back those articles. Too much time has passed and he has already spoken about racism too many times after that.

I can't comment on Rand Paul. I don't know enough about him.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:18 AM

6,351 posts, read 9,978,608 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
Ron Paul said he didn't write them. I personally don't believe him and I say this as someone who actually likes Ron Paul.
He didn't write them because, if you bother to read the newsletters and compare them to his writings, the writing style isn't even his own. Writing styles are like a fingerprint or handwriting. JK Rowling was found to be a ghost writer to that mystery novel by analyzing writing style. Likewise, anyone can see that writing style and compare it to his books and see the difference.

Quote:
Ron Paul doesn't sound like he has those beliefs anymore and I give him credit for speaking up against racism. I would not call him a racist but can I trust him a 100%? no, just like I can't trust any flip flopper like Trump or Charlie Christ.
And Sanders flip-flopped on rape, but nobody said anything.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Maybe we need Common Core after all.

http://elalp.cbalwiki.ets.org/Common...+Comprehension

Q: "Tell us US American student, what was this passage about?"

A: "I read the first line and it said something about rape, so it's about rape"

That is exactly what it is about, and I read the whole thing. It ends with him making it clear that rape is something so many women desire and people find abuse appealing. And he ADMITS TO WRITING IT. If that was a Republican, all hell would be breaking loose.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:12 AM

46,955 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
That is exactly what it is about, and I read the whole thing. It ends with him making it clear that rape is something so many women desire and people find abuse appealing. And he ADMITS TO WRITING IT. If that was a Republican, all hell would be breaking loose.
You're still not on board with the entire "describing a concept in order to criticize it", I see.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
You're still not on board with the entire "describing a concept in order to criticize it", I see.

That sounds great, if only Sanders actually did so. He never said "of course, women don't think like that" or "the above is what some idiots actually believe." He just goes on and on about rape in a really creepy manner.

And you didn't answer the question: if, I don't know, Paul Ryan did the same thing when he was in college, don't you think the media would be making a much bigger deal out of it?

Old 08-22-2015, 02:05 PM

46,955 posts, read 25,990,037 times
Quote:
He never said "of course, women don't think like that" or "the above is what some idiots actually believe."
Perhaps his intended audience doesn't need to be hit with a clue-by-four to identify cultural critique when they see it.

Quote:
And you didn't answer the question: if, I don't know, Paul Ryan did the same thing when he was in college, don't you think the media would be making a much bigger deal out of it?
There's no thing there.

Old 08-22-2015, 06:26 PM

37,949 posts, read 17,865,154 times
Quote:
How about liking the truth?

Quote:
Ron Paul doesn't sound like he has those beliefs anymore and I give him credit for speaking up against racism. I would not call him a racist but can I trust him a 100%? no, just like I can't trust any flip flopper like Trump or Charlie Christ. However I wouldn't bring back those articles. Too much time has passed and he has already spoken about racism too many times after that.

I can't comment on Rand Paul. I don't know enough about him.
You shouldn't comment on Ron either. There is no proof whatsoever Ron Paul wrote them. btw James B Powell was outed as the author as his name appears on a byline.
Not one person, NOT ONE has come out and said Ron Paul uses the language that was in the newsletters. Guess that didn't matter right?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections