Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-22-2015, 03:57 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,705,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
I fully support your right to hold whatever opinion you like and would not seek to change it at all. You haven't demonstrated that any of it is based in fact, if that's why you respond to me with it, but I don't mind.
So Donald Trump is not a reality TV star who has made millions off sensationalist entertainment?
Have you never seen The Apprentice or scandals related to his beauty pageants?

So, yes, I am explaining facts to you. Perhaps you weren't around for the Sarah Palin debacle either, but it had a similar feel.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arabianhorsebreeder View Post
Lol, a poll conducted by the Washington Post and ABC??
Stop hitting yourself in the face, son, and join us at the adult table.

From what I've seen, WaPo and ABC polling has an accurate track record (remember when radicals thought Romney was going to win because they didn't understand statistical polling?)

But, if you have evidence that their polls are inaccurate, I'm happy to reconsider.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:04 PM

1,733 posts, read 948,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
He's a reality TV star. He knows how to attract an audience with outrageous entertainment. That's what he does. I wouldn't read too much into it or get too excited.

Look at Obama's growing base at the same period. Obama's was a broad coalition rooted in excitement about something new. Trump's is rooted in capitalizing on fear and distrust. The latter doesn't have legs to last.

Keep in mind, people got really excited about Sarah Palin, too, and she wound up costing McCain the election.

In a roundabout way, you are correct re bolded. Yes, the middle class is in fear of being obliterated by the left/right policies pushed by a Congress that refuses to listen to those they supposedly represent, instead voting themselves more power and perks. Nearly all of our reps play games these days. And yes, many Americans distrust the gov't, well deserved IMO. Trump has no filter which is both good, and bad. He resonates with the middle class b/c he cuts through the smooth talking crud practiced by politicians and gets right to the problem. He also surrounds himself with people that know what their doing; he's not stupid and neither are they. To his credit, the first thing he did was consult with Jeff Sessions to improvise a plan on illegal immigration. Smart. He's Ted Cruz on steroids, and I'm a huge Cruz fan.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Stop hitting yourself in the face, son, and join us at the adult table.

From what I've seen, WaPo and ABC polling has an accurate track record (remember when radicals thought Romney was going to win because they didn't understand statistical polling?)

But, if you have evidence that their polls are inaccurate, I'm happy to reconsider.

The WP and ABC lean left, son. I'm a Sociologist and well versed with statistics; it's a well known fact that stats can be manipulated to reflect the desired outcome. Oh, and I like Trump's views on the issues, so far.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:31 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,941,676 times
Quote:
The WP and ABC lean left, son. I'm a Sociologist and well versed with statistics; it's a well known fact that stats can be manipulated to reflect the desired outcome. Oh, and I like Trump's views on the issues, so far.
I've heard that claim made time and time again ... by people who do not like the results presented by a polling organization.

I heard it during the last presidential campaign.

I saw Karl Rove implode on screen.

Face it: public opinion polling has become sophisticated and scientific. Whether ABS or Gallup or Quninnipiac or WSJ or anyone ... they are concerned about their credibility.

That is why Republicans, Democrats, liberals and conservatives pay hundreds of millions of dollars on polls.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I've heard that claim made time and time again ... by people who do not like the results presented by a polling organization.

I heard it during the last presidential campaign.

I saw Karl Rove implode on screen.

Face it: public opinion polling has become sophisticated and scientific. Whether ABS or Gallup or Quninnipiac or WSJ or anyone ... they are concerned about their credibility.

That is why Republicans, Democrats, liberals and conservatives pay hundreds of millions of dollars on polls.

Depending on who is paying for the poll, questions are framed a specific way to influence outcomes that reflect specific views. A Fox poll will have a different outcome than a CNN poll on the same subject. Re Karl Rove imploding, I wish he would, lol. Can't stand the man.

Old 08-22-2015, 04:44 PM

Quote:
Please present evidence of their polls being manipulated to reflect a desired outcome. Surely an educated mind such as yours does not fall prey to baseless conspiracy theories. I have no doubt you are simply withholding the evidence to support your claim and I look forward to reviewing it post haste.

As for liking Trump, that's fine, but he hasn't really put forth specific policy proposals so what is it you like about him beyond his personality and misogynistic / racist / xenophobic comments?

Old 08-22-2015, 04:51 PM

Quote:
Please present evidence of their polls being manipulated to reflect a desired outcome. Surely an educated mind such as yours does not fall prey to baseless conspiracy theories. I have no doubt you are simply withholding the evidence to support your claim and I look forward to reviewing it post haste.

As for liking Trump, that's fine, but he hasn't really put forth specific policy proposals so what is it you like about him beyond his personality and misogynistic / racist / xenophobic comments?

Lol, you seem like a smart fellow and google is your friend. Look it up yourself Re Trump, I provided my opinion of him and yes, he has given specific proposals regarding illegal immigration. Except for Ted Cruz, none of the other candidates has done the same.

You can continue to attempt to pick a fight, but I refuse to be drawn into one.

I just found this article and yes, it's from a right leaning site. However, it does give an opinion on Trump's appeal.

Liberty News » Has the Unrepresented Majority Finally Reached Its Boiling Point?

Old 08-22-2015, 04:59 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
So Donald Trump is not a reality TV star who has made millions off sensationalist entertainment?
Have you never seen The Apprentice or scandals related to his beauty pageants?

So, yes, I am explaining facts to you. Perhaps you weren't around for the Sarah Palin debacle either, but it had a similar feel.
  1. Do you feel better about Clinton making 100s of million$ from unnamed donors? That should concern you far far far more than Trump's TV show.
  2. So a beauty pageant & reality TV scandal is more important to you than numerous scandals concerning dead Americans, exposure of US classified data, influence peddling, etc.
So if your standard is where they get their money and scandals they have caused, then your scorn is directed absolutely at the wrong candidate. Trump is absolutely tame compared to those of the career politician Washington insiders which you seem to support instead.

Old 08-22-2015, 05:03 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I've heard that claim made time and time again ... by people who do not like the results presented by a polling organization...
Said poll was taken on July 16. It's completely irrelevant now. Furthermore, it has been thoroughly debunked by the photo I posted above of last night's event.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections