Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2015, 08:02 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,934,716 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobdreamz View Post
What is there exactly there to do in Alabama on a Friday night? High school football (which they are already used to a hot humid raining outdoor stadium) or Trump flies in for a presidential rally.
Both are free.
LOL at thinking people in 'Bama either watch high school football or stare at the wall.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2015, 08:48 AM

2,366 posts, read 1,647,005 times
Quote:
Let's take your points one by one:

E-Verify We already have that! It doesn't work when you have AMERICAN employers who will hire "illegals" anyways so this point of verifying is moot.

build a wall We saw how effective that is when "El Chapo" the drug dealer was able to tunnel out his way out of a Mexican prison. There is a "drug trade" between the US & Mexico because of America's insatiable appetite for "illegal" narcotics. The US needs to address it's drug problem & legalize Marijuana & stop throwing black people in jail for using crack which was criminalized by the Reagan administration.
Trump builds a 50 foot wall & Illegals will build a 51 foot ladder.

impose fees for Mexicans crossing the border if you are so poor that you are willing to die to cross the US border from Mexico please explain how you are going to "charge" a "illegal" with no money.

He said he would appoint Carl Icahn who is a great businessman to negotiate deals with China and Japan.

This is the great "businessman" Icahn" is :

"developed a reputation as a ruthless "corporate raider" after his hostile takeover of TWA in 1985.[12] The result of that takeover was Icahn systematically selling TWA's assets to repay the debt he used to purchase the company, which was described as asset stripping. In 1988, Icahn took TWA private, gaining a personal profit of $469 million, and leaving TWA with a debt of $540 million. In 1991, Icahn sold TWA's prized London routes to American Airlines for $445 million.

Icahn also attempted the grand prize of U.S. Steel, launching a hostile takeover for 89% of the industrial giant for $7 billion ($15.1 billion in 2014) in late 1986. He was finally rebuffed by CEO David Roderick on January 8, 1987."

Icahn is nothing but a Wall Street opportunist who bankrupts companies in the US. Just what the US needs another Wall Streeter who will probably need a bailout.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Icahn

Why am I not surprised Trump likes somebody like this? He has stated he knows how to manipulate the system in the first debate regarding business & politicians. He has had 4 bankruptcies and the banks basically loaned him more money.

He said we would bomb and then rebuild the oil fields taken by ISIS and keep the proceeds to take care of our veterans.

Dubya & Cheney tried that after 9/11. Of course Cheney and his Halliburton cabal cohorts profited immensely at the expense of 4500 US servicemen who died in Iraq for a "false" war searching for WMDs.

I am amazed how there was no investigation as to how we as a NATION went to war with IRAQ over WMD's and none were found but basically "murdered" 4500 US troops and other allied troops plus countless innocent IRAQIS yet the GOP is worried about 4 dead Diplomats in Benghazi and Hillary's E-Mail server!
Really? Which is more criminal?
I guess you are for perpetual War in the middle east for OIL. It's quite funny how Gas prices are half of what they were when President Obama took office with out him starting a War in the Middle East.

He said he would use tariffs, basically a form of protectionism to keep manufacturing strong in the country.

Is this a joke? American manufacturing left our shores 30+ years ago under Reagan when we gave tax breaks to US companies to move overseas where they wouldn't be encumbered with Union wages and can exploit Chinese labor at very low labor wages.
How convenient for Corporate America to move manufacturing jobs to a Communist nation that will provide healthcare & housing to it's citizens at no expense to them and with very little regulation and then you wonder why there is "lead" in Chinese made products being sold in Wal-Mart.

I understand Trump's appeal but the man is a political scatterbrain.
Your opinions are devoid of any facts (don't believe everything you read on wikipaedia). And you have the audacity to call Trump scatterbrain?

Old 08-22-2015, 09:50 AM

6,141 posts, read 3,372,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
I don't mind if my taxes go up, at all. I'm not a greedy, selfish person. I believe that rich people should give back to society and invest in society as a "thank you."
Good for you!! It's called "Paying it Forward" You are amongst those who believe in and realize "There, but for the grace of God, go I." mentality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Xenophobic base? Whom would they be? It's xenophobic to want our immigration laws respected and enforced?
NO..Actually it's his bloviating in his descriptions of ALL those he deems to be "Invaders" to HIS nation that exposes his Xenophobia that is fuelling those who have been similar feelings about "Immigrants" in general! It's even causing those with such feelings to act on them as Trump has validated their views!

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
20,000 to listen to someone who isn't even a politician is impressive.
True

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Trump played to a half empty stadium talking to people about what a great guy he was. It was a Trump infomercial. It was pathetic by any measure. Trump has peaked reaching his maximum of about 25%. People will tire of the bs and bravado soon and he will drop from there and be a non-factor by Christmas.

BBM~ IF that happens look out. The Donald will become vindictive as he refuses to lose. I wouldn't put it past him to then run as an "Independent". which would be a death blow to the Republican Party ( and RNC knows it!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Julian658 View Post
Trump is playing the xenophobia card and the supporters actually buy the concept of reversing the constitution to send Hispanics born in the USA back to Mexico. Anyone with an IQ of 60 knows this is BS and still the supporters buy this stuff.

The only good thing Trump has said was that the cash donors buy politicians and that he cannot be bought. He also hinted at a One Payor health care plan. Good for him on these points!
BBM~ Agree and what he actually said about it VALIDATES what has been said for decades! The SCOTUS ruling which opened the floodgates for "Dark Money" to enter into politics made this even worse...and I give kudos to Trump for actually confessing it's true as he's been doing it for his whole corporate life! How else to do you think he has been allowed to rake in multi-billions in "Corporate Welfare" building his Corporate Brand. ? So, there you have it..His net worth was built on the backs of the taxpayers and using bankruptcy law loopholes to avoid actually going broke...Interesting to see him doing this

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
The corporate media love Trump. If they didnt, they wouldnt give him more air time than all the other candidates combined. And that should tell us all we need to know. He will not get legalized bribery and corporate hijacking of the democracy out of the political process. He has been a part of it for decades and will continue it. He simply pays lip service to it.
I guess Media can't ignore the Donald since he has gone to the top in the polls. If they did..they would be accused of trying to control the message. It's Trump who is the consummate media seeker, who controls them. Not the other way around. He dismisses any media outlet who don't report positively about him. He goes so far as to name call, bash, point fingers at until they succumb to his wishes..i.e. He bashed Fox after debate until Roger Ailes called him to make peace.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:05 AM

119 posts, read 95,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
A lot of Trump supporters have kids at home to raise and/or jobs to report to in the morning. Bernie supporters are mostly college or high school students or burned out old hippies with nobody that depends on them except a posse of cats and dogs.
No. Feel the bern.
And most people who like Bernie also are rather fond of Trump. Go take a walk outside. It's good for you.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:23 AM

4,582 posts, read 3,408,206 times
Quote:
Let's take your points one by one:

E-Verify We already have that! It doesn't work when you have AMERICAN employers who will hire "illegals" anyways so this point of verifying is moot.
I see this comment alot and usually I would agree, however there is one factor that many are not aware of: The legislature of California is debating and may have already passed a law that prohibits employers form using e-verify and the penalties are criminal, plus the administration has already indicated that they will take no measures to sue to block this regulation. So, here you have a state government representing I would figure 1/7 of the US population not permitting e-verify. And that won't work when you have a state government who wants illegals to get hired anyway.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:39 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,524,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
LOL at thinking people in 'Bama either watch high school football or stare at the wall.
I grew up in 'Bama'. That's pretty much exactly what they do. Unless maybe they live in Birmingham.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:41 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,953,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Well then I suppose there are more college students, high school students and burned out old hippies than people who have kids and home to raise and/or jobs to report to in the morning.

I am a Bernie supporter and have a full time white collar accounting job, and I'm in my 30's.

Bernie would defeat Trump in a general election and it wouldn't even be close.
Bwahahaha.

Bernie can't even beat back two teenagers before turning tail and running. He's a coward and a joke. Although he's better than Clinton, that isn't saying much. The Democrat candidates are laughable this cycle.

Old 08-22-2015, 10:58 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhult View Post
Yeah, I agree. But the guy is just a political hack like the guy I just addressed. They try to write the narrative even if they have to make up numbers and talking points to created a false perception for people to think what they hope will be the outcome. " Sanders equals excitement and hope.So Nep,"He can't even reach Bernie status"\Bernis Stats

Phoenix 11,000
Seattle 15,000
Portland 28,000

So in one of the most progressive cities in the US he can only pull in 15k? Portland 28k. How long has he been in the race?
LA only 27k Really LA? If you are going to make such statements about little old Alabama only bringing out 20K for Trump and Bernie can only reach 27 in the second largest city in the United States compared to 122 largest city? Really?
But what a minute! Here is a update for you from CNN from 4 hours ago.
30,000 turn out for Donald Trump's Alabama pep rally - CNNPolitics.com
Hmm, more than Bernie brought in LA, Seattle and Portland. Nice try.
Responses to your point.
  1. You give negative opinion of Trump. It's your right to hold opinion, but it's not fact or even reality.
  2. Bernie Status - You were proved wrong. You hold one standard for Trump a different one for the politician you support. Nothing new about this either.
  3. Get back to us when Trump holds rallies in those same cities. Hence it's irrelevant.
  4. Your last points are fallacious commentary. Ignoring the insult, I compared apples to apples. This is something you don't do because it simply proves you wrong.
Fact remains, in two deep South states on the same night, Trump pulls a crowd that is more than ten times larger than Sanders. This fact alone torpedos your statement that Trump can't reach Bernie status.

Old 08-22-2015, 11:01 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,624,120 times
Quote:
What is there exactly there to do in Alabama on a Friday night? High school football (which they are already used to a hot humid raining outdoor stadium) or Trump flies in for a presidential rally.
Both are free.
Why are you asking me this. Are you planning to travel there for some reason?

Old 08-22-2015, 11:14 AM

26,563 posts, read 14,441,941 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
I'm fairly certain that is what 80s hair bands pull in.
Flock Of Trump.

( hairstyles are similar )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections