U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 08-24-2015, 12:12 PM
 
308 posts, read 194,786 times
Reputation: 274

Advertisements

With the economic downturn this morning with the Dow down 1,600 points at the opening bell, will this affect whether the republicans or democrats will win? Its safe to say that 08' caused the republicans to loose that election but will the same happen for the democrats in 16'?

I personally think this decline this morning was a foreshock, kinda like in earthquakes how you have small shakings then 2 days later, BAM the main shock hits. I think the real crash hasn't happened yet and it is going to occur by the end of this year. It's just a matter of time before all hell brakes loose.

But back to my main point, will what happened this morning affect the which party will win the white house?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 08-24-2015, 12:13 PM
 
78,844 posts, read 33,532,796 times
Reputation: 15792
Could we get so lucky that they both lose?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2015, 12:16 PM
 
Location: Jacksonville, FL
11,145 posts, read 14,116,699 times
Reputation: 7075
Definitely more favor to Democrats. It's about time people wake up and smell the coffee and vote for BERNIE. I think BERNIE should choose Robert Reich as his running mate. It would be epic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2015, 12:20 PM
 
Location: Newport Beach, California
33,255 posts, read 20,087,069 times
Reputation: 12991
Both will lose the coming argument over the economy if they are talking to me.

It is about voting the Lesser of two evils for me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2015, 12:30 PM
 
308 posts, read 194,786 times
Reputation: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Definitely more favor to Democrats. It's about time people wake up and smell the coffee and vote for BERNIE. I think BERNIE should choose Robert Reich as his running mate. It would be epic.
You do realize I am talking about 2015, not 2008 right? The economic downturn that just occurred was under a democrat president? How does this favor the democrats over republicans?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2015, 12:33 PM
 
12,842 posts, read 4,642,177 times
Reputation: 5213
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercheswold View Post
You do realize I am talking about 2015, not 2008 right? The economic downturn that just occurred was under a democrat president? How does this favor the democrats over republicans?
I think it would favor the longest serving independent in Congress history. Bernie Sanders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2015, 12:44 PM
 
Location: Alameda, CA
7,465 posts, read 3,958,185 times
Reputation: 1369
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercheswold View Post
With the economic downturn this morning with the Dow down 1,600 points at the opening bell, will this affect whether the republicans or democrats will win? Its safe to say that 08' caused the republicans to loose that election but will the same happen for the democrats in 16'?

I personally think this decline this morning was a foreshock, kinda like in earthquakes how you have small shakings then 2 days later, BAM the main shock hits. I think the real crash hasn't happened yet and it is going to occur by the end of this year. It's just a matter of time before all hell brakes loose.

But back to my main point, will what happened this morning affect the which party will win the white house?
What economic downturn? The stock market going down is not the same as an economic downturn.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2015, 12:46 PM
 
308 posts, read 194,786 times
Reputation: 274
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
What economic downturn? The stock market going down is not the same as an economic downturn.
When was the last time (not including 08') you remembered the Dow dropping 1100 points at the opening bell?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2015, 01:04 PM
 
Location: Alameda, CA
7,465 posts, read 3,958,185 times
Reputation: 1369
Quote:
Originally Posted by jennifercheswold View Post
When was the last time (not including 08') you remembered the Dow dropping 1100 points at the opening bell?
It never has, but then the prices have never at these levels before.

That doesn't however alter the fact that a drop in stock prices does not mean there is an economic downturn. You can have a drop in stock prices, even a severe drop, even as the economy is growing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 08-24-2015, 01:07 PM
 
Location: US
17,922 posts, read 17,824,107 times
Reputation: 13930
If the market continues free falling, then it would definitely help Republicans. The 2008/2009 market crash played a big part of Democrats winning the White House, Senate and House. Iraq was also a big part, but the stock market was the icing on the cake.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top