Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 10:00 PM

18,782 posts, read 17,356,787 times

Advertisements

that there are 15 candidates in the race. If we categorize the candidates as far right, moderate, and Trump (who IMO is his own unique category), by my calculation, the far right is winning by far at 40.2 percent. Trump is in second place with 26.5, and the moderates are just behind him at 24.6.

I use the RCP avg to make it simple.
RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - 2016 Republican Presidential Nomination
They do not list Gilmore or Graham, who I assume are not getting enough support to even register in the polling.

I categorize as right-wing candidates (current RCP avg in paren for each name):

Carson (12.0%)
Cruz (7.0)
Rubio (6.5)
Walker (6.3)
Fiorina (5.8)
Perry (1.3)
Jindal (0.3)
------------
total=40.2%

I categorize as moderate/center right:

Bush(9.5%)
Kasich(5.0)
Huckabee(4.5)
Christie(3.0)
Santorum(1.3)
Pataki(.0.3)
------------
total=23.6%

Trump is his own category. He's not right-wing (supports single payer), but certainly not moderate...he's Trump. His RCP avg is currently at 26.5.

I don't know how to categorize Rand Paul, but in any case he's currently at 3.0%, so it would not make much difference. We could put him in his own category, or we could say he is far right, which he arguably is. In that case the far right jumps to 43.2%.

Rubio could be put in either category. He draws support from both the right and the moderate/establishment GOP. Maybe the best thing would be to allocate half of his points to 'far right' and half to 'moderate,' in which case the 'moderate' total would be bumped to 26.8, leaving Trump in third place. We could probably do the allocation move on several others, but 'keep it simple, stupid.'

Bottom line, the right wing is far ahead at about 40 pct. and the moderates and Trump are roughly tied for 2nd place at around 24%. If you disagree with my categories, which after all are subjective, make up your own and calculate the results.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2015, 10:04 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,692,234 times
You seriously gotta lay off the mocha frappachinos with an extra shot after 5pm.

Old 09-01-2015, 10:14 PM

9,827 posts, read 6,934,706 times
I understand what you are saying and it's true, but, as candidates start falling by the side, there is absolutely no way to say that voters will lean one way or the other. There are moderates that support say Huckabee that in no way would support Bush, where do they go? The same can be said for each candidate. That is why it is much too early to put much stock in what the polls are saying. Sit back and enjoy the ride for a while and wait and see where it leads us. We really don't have much say in this process anymore anyway.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
You seriously gotta lay off the mocha frappachinos with an extra shot after 5pm.
thx for that, but no way am I going to pay $5 or more for a cup of coffee. I drink green tea at work, which I get for free, and instant coffee at home. I think I last had a frappachino over 20 years ago.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:12 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post
that there are 15 candidates in the race. If we categorize the candidates as far right, moderate, and Trump (who IMO is his own unique category), by my calculation, the far right is winning by far at 40.2 percent. Trump is in second place with 26.5, and the moderates are just behind him at 24.6.

The complete failure of logic here is that you put Trump in 3rd place not to another candidate, but to an emotional category that you have made in an arbitrary manner. People don't vote for categories.

Old 09-02-2015, 01:33 AM

33,387 posts, read 34,832,973 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
The complete failure of logic here is that you put Trump in 3rd place not to another candidate, but to an emotional category that you have made in an arbitrary manner. People don't vote for categories.
absolutely right. wutitz, how do you know that those that support candidates in your categories, wont jump to trump if their candidate drops out?

Old 09-02-2015, 02:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
absolutely right. wutitz, how do you know that those that support candidates in your categories, wont jump to trump if their candidate drops out?
Trump has been far and away the leader when GOP voters are asked for whom they would never vote. The history is pretty clear. In 2012 there was one after another 'not Romney' with Newt Gingrich as the last 'not Romney' standing. When the story of his work for Freddie Mac, along with his other big-gov't proclivities came out, he was toast.

I expect that Trump will similarly drop like a rock once his eminent domain abuse and other pro-big-gov't positions become more widely known. The timing may be different due to the 17 person field this time around, but the end result will be the same. Trump will drop out in 2016 just as Gingrich did in 2012.

Old 09-02-2015, 03:55 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,154,780 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wutitiz View Post

I use the RCP avg to make it simple.
RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - 2016 Republican Presidential Nomination
They do not list Gilmore or Graham, who I assume are not getting enough support to even register in the polling.

I categorize as right-wing candidates (current RCP avg in paren for each name):

Carson (12.0%)
Cruz (7.0)
Rubio (6.5)
Walker (6.3)
Fiorina (5.8)
Perry (1.3)
Jindal (0.3)
------------
total=40.2%

I categorize as moderate/center right:

Bush(9.5%)
Kasich(5.0)
Huckabee(4.5)
Christie(3.0)
Santorum(1.3)
Pataki(.0.3)
------------
total=23.6%

Trump is his own category. He's not right-wing (supports single payer), but certainly not moderate...he's Trump. His RCP avg is currently at 26.5.

I don't know how to categorize Rand Paul, but in any case he's currently at 3.0%, so it would not make much difference. We could put him in his own category, or we could say he is far right, which he arguably is. In that case the far right jumps to 43.2%.

Rubio could be put in either category. He draws support from both the right and the moderate/establishment GOP. Maybe the best thing would be to allocate half of his points to 'far right' and half to 'moderate,' in which case the 'moderate' total would be bumped to 26.8, leaving Trump in third place. We could probably do the allocation move on several others, but 'keep it simple, stupid.'

Bottom line, the right wing is far ahead at about 40 pct. and the moderates and Trump are roughly tied for 2nd place at around 24%. If you disagree with my categories, which after all are subjective, make up your own and calculate the results.
I classify Rubio, Kasich, Christie , and Bush as RINOS, Repubican In Name Only.

Carson, Jindal, Cruz, are definitely NEW BLOOD. We need new blood because this country is weak and is close to dying. Trump is the apparatus for that Blood Transfusion.

Old 09-02-2015, 04:00 AM

5,051 posts, read 3,579,034 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
I classify Rubio, Kasich, Christie , and Bush as RINOS, Repubican In Name Only.

Carson, Jindal, Cruz, are definitely NEW BLOOD. We need new blood because this country is weak and is close to dying. Trump is the apparatus for that Blood Transfusion.
...close to dying ? Really ? On what basis ?

Agree with you on the new blood comment but certainly not the justification.

Old 09-02-2015, 05:36 AM

1,748 posts, read 2,083,266 times
LOL at Huckabee and Santorum as moderate candidates!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections