Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-04-2015, 09:58 AM

587 posts, read 379,221 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Please describe how Trump offended Latino "citizens or legal immigrants". I'll wait. A political debate should be held in English. It's our national de facto language which the majority speak. Otherwise, it's just pandering. Yeah, I've always wondered why the Cubans continued to cling to Spanish as their primary language of usage same goes for many Latinos with roots south of our border. A mono-lingual English speaker is discriminated against in hiring practices in many cities in Florida and many southwestern states also. WTH?
Miami grew because hispanics moved there worked hard, invested money, bought properties and created jobs. Monolingual English speakers have had plenty of time to build Miami or any other city in FL. No one has stopped them or is stopping them. there is plenty of undeveloped land to build cities in FL.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2015, 12:22 PM

62,871 posts, read 29,103,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulgarcita View Post
Miami grew because hispanics moved there worked hard, invested money, bought properties and created jobs. Monolingual English speakers have had plenty of time to build Miami or any other city in FL. No one has stopped them or is stopping them. there is plenty of undeveloped land to build cities in FL.
You missed the point entirely. Why aren't Miami Hispanics assimilating to our nation's language after all these years?

Old 09-04-2015, 12:34 PM

Quote:
You know the answer. Calling Mexican immigrants rapists and criminals. Telling people to speak English in Miami.

You might not thinks offensive but it's not your call to tell others how they should feel because you are not the one on the receiving end. Nobody is telling YOU what things you should find offensive. That's how most Hispanics feel. Trump has consistently used ambiguous language to attack Hispanics. Instead of calling people illegal aliens by their name "illegal aliens" he calls them "Mexican" He has also criticised Bush for marrying a Mexican when he married 2 immigrants himself. But I guess since they were not Mexicans it was ok for some people.

And it wasn't a politically debate, it was a rally in a Spanish neighborhood in Miami. Just like in Puerto Rico, there are American citizens who speak Spanish and live in cities where Spanish is spoken. Don't like it? Don't move to Miami, this country is big enough for everybody. What's your beef with cities you don't freaking live in and don't plan to move to like Miami or Orlando FL? Live and let live for Christ sake. Give it a freaking rest, no one is telling you how YOU should live your life wherever you live.
But Trump was only referring to some illegal aliens of Mexican descent. He didn't say all and he wasn't referring to Mexicans here legally so why would Hispanic "citizens" be offended? They weren't on the receiving end because they aren't illegal aliens. Telling "people" to speak English? Wasn't he only referring to Jeb Bush conducting a rally in Spanish?

Please cite where Trump used ambiguous language to attack Hispanics? Again, are you blurring the lines between those here illegally and Hispanics that are not? Spanish neighborhood? I didn't know that Cubans or Mexicans are simply Spaniards and that we had such neighborhoods. I thought our neighborhoods were American neighborhoods. What has that to do with them? Where did he criticize Bush for marrying a Mexican. You make a lot of claims without backing them up.

Oh I see, don't like it, Americans should just leave certain areas or not move to them? WTH? How about they assimilate to us rather than the other way around? Why don't they move to a Hispanic country of their choosing then? Oh, we put up with this nonsense here in the southwest also, not just Miami. I suggest if they don't like that we are an English speaking country that they move instead.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:09 PM

Quote:
You missed the point entirely. Why aren't Miami Hispanics assimilating to our nation's language after all these years?
Because they live in a free country and can speak whatever language they want. It's none of your business what they prefer to speak. Nobody is telling what language you should speak or what God to believe in. Again live and let live.

Don't like Miami? Then don't go there. Trump never had an issue with Miami until now because that is what his base wants to hear.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Because they live in a free country and can speak whatever language they want. It's none of your business what they prefer to speak. Nobody is telling what language you should speak or what God to believe in. Again live and let live.

Don't like Miami? Then don't go there. Trump never had an issue with Miami until now because that is what his base wants to hear.

Doesn't answer the question at all. It's not about me but their refusal to assimilate linguistically in this country and why they won't. I don't care what language they speak at home but when it affects job opportunities for other Americans by their refusal out in public then we have every right to complain. It's not about freedom but rudeness and arrogance. It's also a constant reminder of how many of them are here illegally. It's like rubbing salt in a wound. Done discussing this with you. Have a nice life, bye.

Old 09-04-2015, 01:46 PM

7,800 posts, read 10,102,524 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The public event was in South Florida, where the Primary language is Spanish, ESPECIALLY among Republican voters.
I don't understand why certain posters cannot grasp this. In Florida anything south of Orlando is overwhelmingly Spanish dominant in terms of the primary spoken language. The Cubans and Puerto Ricans have transformed Florida from the retiree state to the Latin American state. This is basic knowledge. Miami isent known as the capital of Latin America for no reason.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:17 PM

Quote:
But Trump was only referring to some illegal aliens of Mexican descent. He didn't say all and he wasn't referring to Mexicans here legally so why would Hispanic "citizens" be offended? They weren't on the receiving end because they aren't illegal aliens. Telling "people" to speak English? Wasn't he only referring to Jeb Bush conducting a rally in Spanish?

Please cite where Trump used ambiguous language to attack Hispanics? Again, are you blurring the lines between those here illegally and Hispanics that are not? Spanish neighborhood? I didn't know that Cubans or Mexicans are simply Spaniards and that we had such neighborhoods. I thought our neighborhoods were American neighborhoods. What has that to do with them? Where did he criticize Bush for marrying a Mexican. You make a lot of claims without backing them up.

Oh I see, don't like it, Americans should just leave certain areas or not move to them? WTH? How about they assimilate to us rather than the other way around? Why don't they move to a Hispanic country of their choosing then? Oh, we put up with this nonsense here in the southwest also, not just Miami. I suggest if they don't like that we are an English speaking country that they move instead.
Oh big deal I said Spanish instead of hispanic. The horror!!! Of course I meant Hispanic.

Again Miami was built by Hispanics. Why do some people want to go there and impose how the majority of Miami's population should live their lives? Obviously Miamians have been doing fine so far.

Are you aware Donald Trump built a luxurious hotel in Doral FL(in Miami) a residential area away from the beaches where 90% of its residents speak a foreign language a home which most likely is Spanish since 80% of the population is Latino? if the place was a s...hole, do you think he would have built it there? How many hotels has Trump build in Mobile Alabama again? Pensacola FL? They have nicer and whiter beaches there, why not? if he loves English speaking Americans so much why hasn't he built hotels there? Let me guess because Latinos have purchasing power to stay in his hotels. He is a big time hypocrite, biting the hand that feeds him by insulting those who prefer to speak Spanish in Miami. He also has other properties in South Florida. Spanish speaking in South FL had never stopped anybody from investing in the area.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:35 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Don’t be ridiculous. Why are we talking about hotels and beaches now? Get back on track.

Old 09-04-2015, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Don’t be ridiculous. Why are we talking about hotels and beaches now? Get back on track.
It's the same subject, Spanish speaking in America.

Trump has heavily invested in those "Spanish speaking" communities. This country is so big, most people speak English but yet he chooses Spanish speaking Doral Florida out all places.

Trump is such a fraud. What he promises have nothing in common with his actions.

Old 09-04-2015, 03:23 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,895,818 times
Quote:
It's the same subject, Spanish speaking in America.

Trump has heavily invested in those "Spanish speaking" communities. This country is so big, most people speak English but yet he chooses Spanish speaking Doral Florida out all places.

Trump is such a fraud. What he promises have nothing in common with his actions.
IF Trump wins AND starts coming down on illegal aliens; him not speaking Spanish may help. The ugly truth is MOST illegals are "Hispanic" and, many Americans of Hispanic family don't like the illegal alien kind either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections