Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 10:07 PM

16,568 posts, read 15,137,233 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
There are plenty of immigrants who have a grasp of the English language, but are still more comfortable speaking and communicating at times in their mother tongue.
Don’t forget what he was saying. He was trying to convince Hispanics that Trump is NOT a conservative. What do they care? I don’t sense a rush of Hispanics to vote for conservatives, true or not. And don’t forget, even Bush will lose the Hispanic vote and with the electoral college it may not matter by ho much. This is a trick they pull on us every 4 years.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:07 PM

62,501 posts, read 28,720,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I call it bad timing. At a time that he is suspected of having dual loyalties, speaking Spanish is not very smart. Besides, Rush said something interesting. Exactly how many conservatives are in the Hispanic community (if we can believe what we are told) that Bush is trying to woo them in Spanish? This also shows that he doesn’t believe a common language is a glue that holds together.
I agree, and just who is advocating for English "only"? No, many just want English as our "official" language.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:09 PM

62,501 posts, read 28,720,972 times
Immigrants can't vote so why appeal to them in their native tongue for votes?

Old 09-02-2015, 10:22 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,270,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oldglory View Post
Immigrants can't vote so why appeal to them in their native tongue for votes?
Many/most immigrants become naturalized citizens. You don't stop being an immigrant when you become an American. They may learn enough English to pass the citizenship test but that doesn't mean they necessarily fluid in both languages.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:11 PM

22,121 posts, read 19,336,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
Don’t forget what he was saying. He was trying to convince Hispanics that Trump is NOT a conservative. What do they care? I don’t sense a rush of Hispanics to vote for conservatives, true or not. And don’t forget, even Bush will lose the Hispanic vote and with the electoral college it may not matter by ho much. This is a trick they pull on us every 4 years.
I'm certainly no fan of Jeb, but keep in mind he was speaking in Miami. Also the fact that south Florida has a large Spanish speaking Cuban population especially around Hialeah (which is a heavily Republican and Cuban city right outside Miami). The Cuban vote has drifted more Democratic in recent years to the growing influence of younger 2nd and 3rd generation Cubans. However, first generation middle age and older Cubans are still heavily Republican, and are pretty much the base of the Republican Party in south Florida

Old 09-02-2015, 11:21 PM

16,568 posts, read 15,137,233 times
Relations with Cuba animated the Cubans in Miami. With that off the table, I am not sure what makes them conservative anymore. I am sure they like the largess of the Federal government as much as anybody.

Old 09-02-2015, 11:39 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,957,426 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
What a snob Trump is! I'll bet his German immigrant parents had to struggle to learn English and spoke German long after coming here. Freedom of speech covers---guess what---all speech! First generation Americans have always used two languages and understood their native language the best.
Jeb isn't a first generation American.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:07 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,708,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WIHS2006 View Post
I call it the reality of the 21st Century United States. Also, we seem to forget that Spanish speaking people were here long before the first British settlers showed up at Jamestown. Do you think St. Augustine, San Antonio, Los Angeles, and San Juan were settled by us Gringos?

Opposing illegal immigration is one thing but what reason do we have to oppose Spanish other than bigotry, ignorance, and nativism? Why not replace English Only with English+?
The reality of 21st century America is that people don't need to learn Spanish. They can if they want to. Or they can learn any other second language they choose. Or, unlike most of the world, they can just remain monolingual and suffer no ill consequence. This is an extremely privileged position to be in and there is no good reason to **** it away. An English/Spanish bilingual America, where learning Spanish is pretty much required, would be great for Hispanics who can learn the language at home as children. But it would suck for everyone else.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:44 AM

13,562 posts, read 10,284,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
The reality of 21st century America is that people don't need to learn Spanish. They can if they want to. Or they can learn any other second language they choose. Or, unlike most of the world, they can just remain monolingual and suffer no ill consequence. This is an extremely privileged position to be in and there is no good reason to **** it away. An English/Spanish bilingual America, where learning Spanish is pretty much required, would be great for Hispanics who can learn the language at home as children. But it would suck for everyone else.
Why are many Americans so disdainful to those who speak more than one language?

While I am not a fan of Jeb, instead of applauding fluency in more than one language we smugly, ignorantly abhor anything but English spoken in these United States.

I realize English is a global language, and many educated people all over the world speak it.

I have been abroad many times and am well aware of the proximity of European counties making it almost mandatory for them to pick up other languages.

But there is a certain arrogance with Americans with close proximity to Mexico who refuse to speak Spanish, and Trump, actually berates someone who can.

Old 09-03-2015, 12:52 AM

15,292 posts, read 7,708,668 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Why are many Americans so disdainful to those who speak more than one language?

While I am not a fan of Jeb, instead of applauding fluency in more than one language we smugly, ignorantly abhor anything but English spoken in these United States.

I realize English is a global language, and many educated people all over the world speak it.

I have been abroad many times and am well aware of the proximity of European counties making it almost mandatory for them to pick up other languages.

But there is a certain arrogance with Americans with close proximity to Mexico who refuse to speak Spanish, and Trump, actually berates someone who can.
I agree that no one should be criticized for speaking a foreign language with their own family or friends. But Jeb is campaigning for President of the United States. Is it really too much to ask that he do it in the language of Americans?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections