Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2008, 12:27 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,083,054 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Just currious what makes him more of a "good old family man" like ozzie and the Beav more so than Obama?

Other than of course Ozzie and Romney are white, I mean....
Nothing I know of, so why bring it up. Romney reminds me of what I saw in those family shows, Romney in real life is a very good teacher and role model for children and I've repeatedly seen this in public. He is much older than he looks by the way, Obama is much younger.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2008, 12:30 AM

1,156 posts, read 2,083,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Oh really, I'll put Obama up against either Romney or McCain, in a debate, and he'll wipe up the floor with them. The man is a tremendous orator.
I have never cared for orators in the least, nor personality, only substance/issues which is what should count.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:47 AM

11,135 posts, read 14,138,054 times
You know if you would have asked me 6 months to a year ago, I would have said, there is no chance in heck that a Republican would win in 2008. Today, I'm not so sure.

Watching the unfolding saga taking place in the Democratic party right now, I will be amazed if Democrats can pull off a win in 08. Like trying to herd angry cats, they are likely to self destruct before they can shore up a solid run against Republicans this cycle.

Old 01-29-2008, 04:49 AM

1,658 posts, read 4,714,960 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post
You know if you would have asked me 6 months to a year ago, I would have said, there is no chance in heck that a Republican would win in 2008. Today, I'm not so sure.

Watching the unfolding saga taking place in the Democratic party right now, I will be amazed if Democrats can pull off a win in 08. Like trying to herd angry cats, they are likely to self destruct before they can shore up a solid run against Republicans this cycle.
C'mon, don't tell me you have never before seen acrimony like this between rivals in the same party. Apparently you didn't notice a real dogfight going on too in the Republican party, Cain and Mitt. Do you believe that their party will implode too? Parties will coalesce around the nominee come crunch time.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:26 AM

5,408 posts, read 7,769,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TnHilltopper View Post

And you see the Republican race faring better?

Good lord, McCain and Romney are going to start choking one another pretty soon.

Old 01-29-2008, 07:28 AM

5,408 posts, read 7,769,602 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
Nothing I know of, so why bring it up. Romney reminds me of what I saw in those family shows, Romney in real life is a very good teacher and role model for children and I've repeatedly seen this in public. He is much older than he looks by the way, Obama is much younger.
Why bring what up? You said Romney was like Leave it to Beaver, I was just responding to that staement.

Yea he is old isn't he...you can see he goes through a bottle of Just For Men every couple days.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:34 PM

11,135 posts, read 14,138,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
C'mon, don't tell me you have never before seen acrimony like this between rivals in the same party. Apparently you didn't notice a real dogfight going on too in the Republican party, Cain and Mitt. Do you believe that their party will implode too? Parties will coalesce around the nominee come crunch time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
And you see the Republican race faring better?

Good lord, McCain and Romney are going to start choking one another pretty soon.
I am of the opinion that the Republican party imploded in 2006 and is currently still burning like forest brush fire. Slowly smoldering away while folks rummage through the ashes looking for something worthy to salvage.

In the case of the Democrats, it is more akin to a coal mine fire that smolders for years and never allows folks to pick up the pieces of what is left.

Trust me, I am quite familiar with the dirty nature of politics and all the shenanigans that take place. However when I see Obama and Clinton scraping over completely non-issue things (imho) that seem quite petty and basically devoid of any policy subject material, I have to ask myself why this is about the personalities instead of the issues.

Fisa = democrats rolled over, Mukasey and the torture issues = democrats rolled over and it is still unresolved, Iraq war funding= democrats rolled and it is now barely discussed, Cheney's energy meetings = what meetings, Downing street memos, forged Niger documents, and the list goes on and on. Pelosi has the audacity in light of all these things to say that impeachment is "off the table" and not even worth a discussion. This lack of a unified democratic position on anything is one of the biggest reasons democrats make me scratch my head. Then again, maybe Bush and Co are closer to the liberal mantra than folks care to admit. (ducks)

As far as republicans go, well I will give them until 2012 and they will likely be right back to their authoritarian mannerisms and in lock step running roughshod over all in front of them.

Old 01-29-2008, 12:35 PM

7,730 posts, read 14,096,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by faith10 View Post
I have never cared for orators in the least, nor personality, only substance/issues which is what should count.
Ronald Reagan had both. Until about 1981.

Old 01-29-2008, 01:21 PM

384 posts, read 284,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Upton View Post
Oh really, I'll put Obama up against either Romney or McCain, in a debate, and he'll wipe up the floor with them. The man is a tremendous orator.
And thats about all he is good for not to mention he's got beautiful teeth.

Old 01-29-2008, 02:31 PM

11,573 posts, read 13,884,389 times
Anyone that simply votes for someone simply due to the fact that they are a good speaker needs to have his/her head checked.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections