Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 07:23 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,822,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
...to referee the conservative candidates. I really miss Bill Buckley. I didn't always agree with him, but I respected him for having informed opinions and being able to articulate them with civility. I met him at a book signing, and he was every inch a gentleman and a lot nicer than he had to be.

Apparently his brainchild, the National Review, misses him and his influence on politics as well.

Donald Trump -- Conservatives Should Excommunicate Him from the Movement | National Review Online
There has definitely been void since Buckley has passed... Limbaugh probably comes the closest to filling that void, I don't believe he would claim that himself though, I know Buckley respected him.
I must say I am disappointed at much of what comes out of NR these days , especially from Jonah Goldberg.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2015, 08:19 PM

1,603 posts, read 1,113,364 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
There has definitely been void since Buckley has passed... Limbaugh probably comes the closest to filling that void, I don't believe he would claim that himself though, I know Buckley respected him.
I must say I am disappointed at much of what comes out of NR these days , especially from Jonah Goldberg.
The American Conservative is a fantastic publication and worth every cent.

Old 09-12-2015, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
Yeah, Pat has gotten a little wacky on some things but for the most part agreed.

Old 09-13-2015, 07:57 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,697,144 times
His debates with Gore Vidal is where I learned to turn liberals into either slobbering or foaming at the mouth idiots by the time they are done debating with me fave to face on political and social issues.

I had a vhs library of their debates back in the 1980's. I wore them out watching them.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:25 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,271,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
What he is saying is that winning is more important than principles. I disagree with him.
You are arguing for voting for Trump. Bush is supposed to be “electable” but you vote for Trump.

Old 09-13-2015, 08:26 PM

I’d listen to NR when they tell me who other than Trump I should vote for.

Old 09-13-2015, 09:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I’d listen to NR when they tell me who other than Trump I should vote for.
Indeed , I have told Goldberg and Beck the same thing... we get it you don't like Trump. Who do you like and why?!

Old 09-13-2015, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
Indeed , I have told Goldberg and Beck the same thing... we get it you don't like Trump. Who do you like and why?!
I suspect it is a safe candidate like Bush or alike. NR is nothing like it used to be. To be honest, I am not sure Buckley would have come down on the side of Trump either. Times have changed. He came across as a country club kind of guy. Trump has outed a lot of people who I thought were true reformists but when push came to shove they sided with those they know.

Old 09-14-2015, 04:30 AM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
You are arguing for voting for Trump. Bush is supposed to be “electable” but you vote for Trump.
I said I would vote for Trump *if* the (D) nominee was Hillary. If it's Trump/Sanders, I'll vote for Sanders. If it would be something like Bush/Clinton, I'll vote for Vermin Supreme.

Vermin Supreme is never electable. But what others argue has nothing to do with me. Yes, many argued that Bush is electable so he should be the candidate. I completely disagree with that. No matter how electable he may be, I'll never vote for him.

Old 09-14-2015, 02:07 PM

4,412 posts, read 3,958,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Veneficus View Post
The American Conservative is just about the only not-pants-on-head-stupid conservative publication out there these days. I certainly don't agree with everything but most of the pieces are intelligently written and approaches issues from an actually conservative, and sometimes pragmatic angle. There's a noticeable lack of emotional vitriol and mean spiritedness.

As for the NRO, it has degenerated to WND and Breitbart levels of confirmation bias and crazy misinformation. Buckley probably would not be too welcomed at today's New Republic.,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections