Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-15-2015, 12:59 PM

5,960 posts, read 5,543,319 times

Advertisements

Imagine a press conference sometime around Thanksgiving where the two men who are dominating the GOP side of the race announce that they are giving Reince Priebus an ultimatum and a pledge to sign (Contract with America II or another version of the Contract From America from 2010).

Unless Priebus signs it promising the two men he will lead the GOP toward fulfilling the document's goals they will take their delegates to the National Convention next summer and call for a brokered convention (much like Ron Paul's delegates tried and failed to do in 2012).

The pledge would be a hodge-podge collection of the two candidates platforms (English as the official language of the U.S., immediate deportation of illegals, a Southern Wall, heavy tariffs, a return to Judeo-Christian principles in government, etc.).

They now have the power to do this...I don't see why they shouldn't mold the GOP in an image that they see fit for the party as the de facto party leaders.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-15-2015, 01:02 PM

587 posts, read 379,148 times
Hell no, leave Carson alone. Trump can team up with Speedy Gonzales, his daughter or that Canadian candidate with the helium voice who is also a Texas senator.

Old 09-15-2015, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pulgarcita View Post
Hell no, leave Carson alone. Trump can team up with Speedy Gonzales, his daughter or that Canadian candidate with the helium voice who is also a Texas senator.
But he and Carson own over 50% of the GOP vote at the moment so it'd be those two who would get together to lead the party in a different direction.

Old 09-15-2015, 02:12 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,287,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
But he and Carson own over 50% of the GOP vote at the moment so it'd be those two who would get together to lead the party in a different direction.
But could a Trump/Carson ticket win the general election? Maybe, but I don't think their appeal would be broad enough to expand the base.

Just my take.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:01 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,650,576 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Imagine a press conference sometime around Thanksgiving where the two men who are dominating the GOP side of the race announce that they are giving Reince Priebus an ultimatum and a pledge to sign (Contract with America II or another version of the Contract From America from 2010).

Unless Priebus signs it promising the two men he will lead the GOP toward fulfilling the document's goals they will take their delegates to the National Convention next summer and call for a brokered convention (much like Ron Paul's delegates tried and failed to do in 2012).

The pledge would be a hodge-podge collection of the two candidates platforms (English as the official language of the U.S., immediate deportation of illegals, a Southern Wall, heavy tariffs, a return to Judeo-Christian principles in government, etc.).

They now have the power to do this...I don't see why they shouldn't mold the GOP in an image that they see fit for the party as the de facto party leaders.
I can't imagine even thinking of something like this? As for them holding over 50% right now, that is based on one poll, 1 debate and 4 months before there is even a causus. Not to mention you are talking one poll. Let's not start talking about any unusual teaming until we have had a number of primaries.

Old 09-15-2015, 03:58 PM

25,932 posts, read 22,076,838 times
Independents: Trump - President Carson - Vice President. Yes, I think they might make a good team. I have just finished reading about Ben Carson, a biography online. The one thing they have in common appears to be that they don't give up. They fall or get knocked down and they always get back up.

I think the GOP will dump them both. Right now, they are pushing Carson to try to push Trump out of the way. I bet you they run Jeb.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:01 PM

1,384 posts, read 2,691,245 times
Trump is holding steady, Carson gaining at expense of other establishment candidates. What does that mean?

Simple, it means Trump's base is still with him but the cuckservatives supporting the assorted establishment candidates are turning to Carson as their next big attempt to take down Trump.

Carson is an especially good candidate for them since he is black and it allows them to pat themselves on the back over how inclusive and progressive they are. It will also let them think they can get the black vote, even though blacks are unlikely to identify much with a black neurosurgeon - too stuffy and professional for them, would make them feel inadequate over having a life they could never lead. They are more likely to identify with Trump since he sets basically the usual rap star dream life example and that's something any african american could achieve if he got lucky.

The Republican establishment banding around Carson won't help them beat Trump. Even if they do manage to get Carson as the Republican candidate, Trump's voters aren't going to back a free-trade establishment cuckservative. They won't vote, or they will vote Democrat to spite the Republican establishment, or they will vote Trump if Trump decides to run independent anyways.

The Republicans can either have Trump as president or a Democrat as president. One thing's sure, the cuckservative establishment is finished - they just haven't realized it yet.

Old 09-15-2015, 04:11 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,109,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boosane View Post
Carson is an especially good candidate for them since he is black and it allows them to pat themselves on the back over how inclusive and progressive they are. It will also let them think they can get the black vote, even though blacks are unlikely to identify much with a black neurosurgeon - too stuffy and professional for them, would make them feel inadequate over having a life they could never lead. They are more likely to identify with Trump since he sets basically the usual rap star dream life example and that's something any african american could achieve if he got lucky.
Wow. Actually, most blacks wouldn't identify with Dr. Carson because of his conservative rhetoric. They also see hypocrisy, because he, like Clarence Thomas, was clearly a beneficiary of affirmative action. Not saying anything bad, because he proved that he can compete at the highest level once he was given a chance.

Mick

Old 09-15-2015, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I can't imagine even thinking of something like this? As for them holding over 50% right now, that is based on one poll, 1 debate and 4 months before there is even a causus. Not to mention you are talking one poll. Let's not start talking about any unusual teaming until we have had a number of primaries.
I don't know where you got "one poll" from. There have been multiple polls from multiple sources regarding voter preference.

I'd love to see what would suddenly have to happen for Trump and Carson to become so unpopular among republicans that they would not make a dent with their supporters at the convention.

Old 09-15-2015, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
But could a Trump/Carson ticket win the general election? Maybe, but I don't think their appeal would be broad enough to expand the base.

Just my take.
Not a ticket...just a partnership where they push the GOP back to its focus on individuals and families and away from billionaire donors.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections