Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 05:58 AM

628 posts, read 1,309,703 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
In the case of Medicare (not Medicaid), this isn't the case. It has a proven track record of providing quality care at reasonable cost. People on Medicare also generally like it.

The biggest reason that Obama and his cadre did not push to extend Medicare to everyone, is that it would completely devastate the profits of insurance companies, pharmacy companies, and force medical practices to reign in excessive testing especially when the practice owns the testing facilities. We instead got Obamacare which insures those profits.
Exactly! Obamacare made insurance companies way richer and more powerful than they already were.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 06:15 AM

77,772 posts, read 104,081,702 times
Well when he wins as some of you actually think he will and your pay check suddenly isn't enough to pay for a meal at Burger King even once a month, come back and tell us how great his plans are. When poorer people are not even going to try to go to work cause the government does even more for them than now, tell us how great he is and when we can actuallly see those 200,000 volunteers working for him, then maybe more of us will believe his way is the best way.

For me, not on your life would I think of voting for someone like him, nice guy or not, caring guy or not. Nor would I bother to watch anything program hosted by Maddow. I usually am very open to hearing both sides, but she is so far out there, she make Ann Coulter seem mild.

Old 09-18-2015, 06:37 AM

18,754 posts, read 17,961,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DJboutit View Post
I do not understand how people do not support the things that sanders is pushing for

Better healthcare
Higher taxes on the 1% to 3%
Go after wall street that helped caused the 2008 melt down
Give rid of citizen united
Higher min wage
Free College
Ok; so what is he going to do for America? I see he is going to take care of the teachers and I presume more illegals will work under the counter. I am curious where all of or 'educated' will work; other than in government?

Old 09-18-2015, 06:59 AM

36,766 posts, read 18,709,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Wait until he has to explain his actual policy positions to the general electorate. So far, he has been giving "feel good" stump speeches. His policy positions will scare the crap out of people.

I don't often commend the DNC, but at least they know why they can't run this guy in a general election.
Bernie's platform is almost identical to the one Eisenhower ran on in 1956. Bernie would have been a republican then.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
It's important to remember our country has 300 million people, it's very different than a small country with 10 million people. You can't do the same, that's just reality.

It would be great to give every American a brand new Lambo and a suitcase of $1 million.
It sure is. You get greater economy of scale and lower costs overall.

If a company manufactures widgets, it has cost associated with production. To set up and produce one widget will cost, say, $1000. When you produce 10,000 of the same widget you can buy materials much more cheaply in bulk, and your setup cost is reduced to almost nothing. The actual costs of producing a lot are simply material, disposable tooling, and labor, since setup has already been minimized. The machinery is in place and has a fixed cost whether it is running or not.

Much better to approach healthcare and education from a business standpoint. It's cheaper in the long run to produce the biggest lot possible. Simple economics.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:09 AM

6,353 posts, read 6,210,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Not really true. Tuition free college will cost 70 billion per year. Its not that expensive really.

Medicare for all system is much, much cheaper than the current system which is a huge burden on businesses, but big pharma is making out like bandits (and they have the biggest army of lobbyists in DC, spending more than $250m to bribe politicians and laugh at the voters.
Now it's BIG MANAGED CARE. The set up there is a joke. It's a jobs program except we actually need the medical staff back in the hospitals. The upper management can go back to big business and Republican politics where they came from. The things I saw would even anger conservatives. The whole system needs single payer. The contracts now are only for administrative services.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:10 AM

9,294 posts, read 16,576,057 times
My problem with Bernie is he has been in the Senate since 2007 and has done anything. He wants to raise the tax on corporations and the rich to pay for all his "ideas." His single pay health care idea didn't work in VT yet he thinks it will work for the nation, even though they couldn't pay for it in VT. His ideas are ideological rather than have the ability to work. He bases his responses on the fact other countries are doing and therefore we should be able to do it. Many of the countries he is using as an example have higher tax rates, yet he wants to lower the tax for the middle class.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Like I said to pay for a lot of these things is cut 200 to 300 billion from defense currently it is 1 trillion that is way to high. Our Army defense budget is higher than the next 25 countries with the biggest armies.
That's because Reagan bumped the "defense" budget up 40% to avoid the recession that W eventually gave us. George wasn't smart enough or interested enough to avoid it.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:20 AM

38,945 posts, read 50,850,868 times
Quote:
Like I said to pay for a lot of these things is cut 200 to 300 billion from defense currently it is 1 trillion that is way to high. Our Army defense budget is higher than the next 25 countries with the biggest armies.
You need to consider the economic dislocations that would cause. You are taking a few hundred billion out of the productive economy, ending jobs, decimating local economies and killing cities, towns, even states that are dependent on defense spending. It would lead to massive and intractable unemployment and create new poverty pockets. Spending the money elsewhere would not erase the consequences. It is just not that simple.

Old 09-18-2015, 07:22 AM

52,568 posts, read 47,690,485 times
On a channel with very few viewers, this is practically a "Who cares?" situation. It comes down to basically this: A hardline leftist interviewed by a hardline leftist. Cable access billboards are more entertaining.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections