Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-18-2015, 08:24 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times

Advertisements

Since CNN is hosting that one too, how do you think the ratings will compare: About the same? A lot more? A lot less?

What will a yes to any of those 3 questions mean?

P.S. Clinton testifies before Congress AFTER the debate if that makes any difference in how you respond.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-18-2015, 08:32 AM

3,620 posts, read 3,834,088 times
The only reason why people watched either debate was because of Trump. Nobody would care if he wasn't on the stage. I think it'll be way lower, but not because the dems are any worse/better than the repubs.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:32 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,111,606 times
Honestly, it doesn't mean anything because none of us know the motivations of the viewers, who watch for a variety of reasons. I am sure some people will take the ratings to mean that more people will vote for one party over the other, but I don't think that there will necessarily be a correlation.

Mick

Old 09-18-2015, 08:38 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Honestly, it doesn't mean anything because none of us know the motivations of the viewers, who watch for a variety of reasons. I am sure some people will take the ratings to mean that more people will vote for one party over the other, but I don't think that there will necessarily be a correlation.

Mick
I thought it might indicate party voter enthusiasm.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:45 AM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think not.

If Donald Trump had run for the Democratic presidential nomination, the Republican Debates would have been pulling in about only 5 million viewers. The enthusiasm appears to be Trump-driven and not party-driven.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
That would have been a good hypothesis under most circumstances, but most people (especially non-Republicans) tuned in to see what Mr. Trump would say next and the personal attacks among the candidates, especially between Mr. Trump and the other candidates who have traded jabs in the media. People that I know who have no intention of voting for a GOP candidate still tuned in for the entertainment value. That's just anecdotal, but I believe it's a pretty accurate assessment.

Mick

Old 09-18-2015, 08:51 AM

11,046 posts, read 5,266,686 times
I don't know but I will keep an eye on the CNN moderators if they use the same tactics of turning the candidates against each other by asking silly questions.

I really doubt CNN will ask Bernie if Hillary can be trusted with the nuclear codes after she mishandled classified information like they did in the Republican debate about Trump.

Trump isn't the one being investigated by the FBI but Trump can't be trusted with the nuclear codes?

Old 09-18-2015, 09:11 AM

18,984 posts, read 9,067,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
That would have been a good hypothesis under most circumstances, but most people (especially non-Republicans) tuned in to see what Mr. Trump would say next and the personal attacks among the candidates, especially between Mr. Trump and the other candidates who have traded jabs in the media. People that I know who have no intention of voting for a GOP candidate still tuned in for the entertainment value. That's just anecdotal, but I believe it's a pretty accurate assessment.

Mick
Count me as one of these. I wouldn't have wasted my time with these first two GOP debates if not for curiosity to see what Trump would do/say and how the rest of the field would attempt to usurp him. Watching the GOP right now is like watching a soap opera--you feel a little silly for being drawn to such inanity, but somehow you just can't stay away.

Unfortunately for the Democrats, they don't have the same level of entertainment value, so they probably won't draw as many Republicans to watch.

Old 09-18-2015, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
Count me as one of these. I wouldn't have wasted my time with these first two GOP debates if not for curiosity to see what Trump would do/say and how the rest of the field would attempt to usurp him. Watching the GOP right now is like watching a soap opera--you feel a little silly for being drawn to such inanity, but somehow you just can't stay away.

Unfortunately for the Democrats, they don't have the same level of entertainment value, so they probably won't draw as many Republicans to watch.
Me, too.

Uncle Joe is the closest thing we can get to entertaining debates.

Mick

Old 09-18-2015, 09:23 AM

7,685 posts, read 6,192,098 times
The ratings won't be that high and CNN will throw softball questions imho.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections