Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-11-2015, 05:07 PM

4,081 posts, read 3,576,227 times

Advertisements

I guess that's a yes.

It's kind of funny that even Lindsay Graham's campaign forgot about Gilmore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-11-2015, 08:45 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,579,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by treasurefinder View Post
Graham, Pataki,Jindal, Huckabee and Santorum should all drop out. None of them has a snowballs chance.
I give Huckabee some points for his grasp of foreign affairs. Maybe would make a good Secretary of State?

Old 11-11-2015, 08:53 PM

6,301 posts, read 9,579,348 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
I'd like to see Christie stick around too. I'm not supporting him in this race, but I think he adds meaningful content to the collective conversation.
I agree with this and would add that Paul and Huckabee should stay in for the same reason.

Old 11-11-2015, 09:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 495neighbor View Post
I agree with this and would add that Paul and Huckabee should stay in for the same reason.
I would apply the same to Paul as well. I'm in favor of having candidates staking out different audiences within the same party. No longer should liberal Republicans, moderate Republicans, establish Republicans, or Conservative Republicans feel left out of the party because of hostility from the other party factions. Having a homogeneous party is damaging. The same goes for the Democratic Party.

Old 11-11-2015, 10:29 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,716,899 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
I would apply the same to Paul as well. I'm in favor of having candidates staking out different audiences within the same party. No longer should liberal Republicans, moderate Republicans, establish Republicans, or Conservative Republicans feel left out of the party because of hostility from the other party factions. Having a homogeneous party is damaging. The same goes for the Democratic Party.
I'm only saying Paul shouldn't because he is a dope that got lambasted by Christie in the first episode.

Old 11-12-2015, 09:48 AM

14,354 posts, read 20,424,213 times
Why is Jindal hanging on?

He got into it with Christie on the debate night undercard.

Old 11-12-2015, 12:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by howard555 View Post
Why is Jindal hanging on?

He got into it with Christie on the debate night undercard.
Jindal must talk over his advisers that advise him to drop-out.

Old 11-12-2015, 01:48 PM

7,531 posts, read 11,502,384 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
The rebubs and Bush alone did not cause the crash. It was in part due to the lending policies of the Clinton administration and Bush was in part responsible because he ignored the testimony present warning of the cracks in the Fannie and Freddie Mac program. We lent too much money to people who could not and should not be buying a home.
It was a push by the dems to lend money to more minority home buyers. So, political correctness was in part responsible along with We The People buying cars and homes and toys and whatever else they could with the equity in their homes they could not afford in the first place. Open your eyes instead of smacking yourself in the head.
Republican were like 75% if the cause

Old 11-17-2015, 05:17 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,727,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Who will be voted off the island in the next episode of Republican Candidate Survivor?

Let's look at the possibilities.

Jim Gilmore
Aside from wandering around New Hampshire, he really doesn't have much of a campaign. It's hard to run short of funds when your entire operation consists of nothing more than driving around a small state.

George Pataki
He's just running to puff up his law practice. Why should he drop out?

Lindsey Graham
Like the others above, Graham isn't running for President in order to be President - he's just fishing for a SecDef appointment. All he really needs is an appearance every Sunday morning on the political shows, and no one - with the possible exception of John McCain - is featured more often.

Chris Christie
Donald Trump has cornered the angry loudmouthed bully market, freezing Christie out. Toss in Bridegate and the fact that Christie is simply not conservative enough and he's a hopeless candidate. On the other hand, he probably doesn't have much of a political future, so what's the downside of staying in?

Rick Santorum
Huckabee is getting all the scolding moralist attention, leaving Santorum with no niche of his own. But as with Christie, why not? It's not like he's tarnishing a political brand, since he has no chance of ever holding statewide office again.

Bobby Jindal
Jindal is a classic example of a candidate who looks good on paper, but once he hits the trail one realizes he hasn't the foggiest idea how to run for President (see also: Scott Walker, Rick Perry, Bill Richardson, Fred Thompson). Jindal's young and has a political future. He would probably be well advised to drop out and end the embarrassment sooner than later.

The only other candidate I'd even mention is Rand Paul - his faux-libertarian shtick has gone precisely nowhere, and he probably won't even make it to Super Tuesday. But for the boost from the cult-like following of his father, he'd just be some anonymous eye doctor. But he's still aways from having to throw in the towel.

So my answer is Jindal.
Louisiana Gov. Bobby Jindal suspends presidential campaign - POLITICO

Old 11-18-2015, 10:45 AM

11,110 posts, read 9,727,554 times
So episode 3 of Republican Survivor ended with Bobby 'The Exorcist' Jindal being voted off the island. Who will fall in the next episode?

Trump, Carson, Rubio, Cruz, Bush and Kasich have no reason at all to drop out at this point.

Jim Gilmore & George Pataki
Who knows and who cares? Neither are running with the intent of winning the nomination.

Lindsey Graham
He's not running to win either, but he is running to burnish his credentials for an appointment as Defense Secretary in a Republican administration. The Paris attacks and the right-wing war-and-fear-mongering have given new life to his campaign. He stays in until Iowa, at least.

Chris Christie
As I noted before, it's hard to see much of a political future for Christie outside of running for President. Therefore, why not stay in?

Rick Santorum & Mike Huckabee
They're a pair of happy crusaders content to run long-shot campaigns while basking in the warm fuzzy of believing they're winning brownie points with Jesus by railing against the 'teh gays'. They'll hang for awhile.

Fiorina
First, she's got nothing better to do. Second, she just keeps raising her profile, thereby making her a more lucrative booking on the conservative speech-making circuit once she's done pretending she has any business running for President. No reason for her to bail anytime soon.

Rand Paul
Things have gone from bad to worse for Rand. No one's buying his kinda-sorta libertarian nonsense, and his isolationist tendencies are going to hurt him in the wake of the Paris attacks and the palpable "We're all doing to die unless we invade someone quick!" hysteria currently fomenting in the GOP. Plus, the self-styled anti-Washington guy is desperately clinging to his Senate seat as a fallback position, and he's got an election for that coming up next year that's going to soon need his undivided attention.

So more likely than not the next one out will be Paul.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections