Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 08:40 PM

72,874 posts, read 62,362,868 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Google it:
Reagan phone
or
Reagan Lifeline Assistance program
It's been around since 1984/1985. Kind of proves ironic for those who like to look at Reagan as a conservative. No one has said a word about this. However, "Obamaphones" are often mentioned.

https://www.fcc.gov/lifeline

https://transition.fcc.gov/Bureaus/C...tor/mr98-2.pdf

I now know it existed back then. However, I still don't understand why I've never heard about this until, today actually.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2015, 08:41 PM

18,986 posts, read 9,041,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
It is not as no-frills as you make it out to be. It is like my plan, and they have iPhone now.
"We wish we could tell you that the free government cell phone you’ll receive is the latest, greatest smartphone, but that simply isn’t always true. In most cases, Lifeline Assistance companies are likely to send you a used, but refurbished model. The companies usually buy these refurbished phones in bulk, and you never know which make or model you will receive. While a few companies offer newer smartphones such as Androids, many will send a basic feature phone. If you feel that you must have the most up-to-date technology, such as an iPhone, the Lifeline Assistance free government cell phone program may not be a good match for you."

Free Cell Phones, Unlimited Talk & Text from the Government

My sister is using this program. The phone she got looks a lot like the first cellphone I bought 10 years ago. Very basic, nothing fancy, but she is happy to have it.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:43 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,201,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post
Can you refute that the "free phones" stuff was implemented before President Obama even got to office?
Most social programs start small and justified but become loose and ridiculously big over time. Knowing Obama I am sure he has done everything to expand it, just like he did with food stamps. I might actually go through the application process to find out what it takes to get one. I am sure you can also lie your way through it, just as people did with Obamacare.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Most social programs start small and justified but become loose and ridiculously big over time. Knowing Obama I am sure he has done everything to expand it, just like he did with food stamps. I might actually go through the application process to find out what it takes to get one. I am sure you can also lie your way through it, just as people did with Obamacare.
Here you go. Go see how lucky these people who qualify are. They are living the high life, all right.

Who Qualifies for a free government cell phone?

Old 09-26-2015, 08:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post

My sister is using this program. The phone she got looks a lot like the first cellphone I bought 10 years ago. Very basic, nothing fancy, but she is happy to have it.
My son has a prepaid phone(T-Mobile) for $30 a month. If someone doesn’t have $30a mont to spare I really like to look at their budget. How do they pay rent, eat, drive or clothe themselves?

Old 09-26-2015, 08:49 PM

Quote:
My son has a prepaid phone(T-Mobile) for $30 a month. If someone doesn’t have $30a mont to spare I really like to look at their budget. How do they pay rent, eat, drive or clothe themselves?
They often struggle to do all of these things and do without a lot of things you take for granted. If you have to ask the question you have no concept of what it's like to truly be poor.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by green_mariner View Post

You have failed to answer any of my questions. Those were not rhetorical, they require answers.

1) How many Blacks are living in roach-infested, substandard housing compared to Blacks who don't?
2) How big was the Black middle class in 1965 compared to now?
3) How many Blacks are in the professional ranks now vs 1965?
This is like saying how many Muslims are terrorist Oh, may be 0.0000001%, but is that really the point because 99% of terrorists are Muslim. Of course most blacks don’t live in projects but of those who do they live in inhumane conditions. If projects were owned by private landlords they would be in jail by tomorrow. The other two questions are irrelevant to the discussion. It does not change how the rest live now.

Old 09-26-2015, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
They often struggle to do all of these things. They often live on a razor thin margin and do without a lot. If you have to ask the question you have no concept of what it's like to be poor.
So it is not just phones. It is everything else as well. If that is the model, then fine.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:40 PM

Quote:
This is like saying how many Muslims are terrorist Oh, may be 0.0000001%, but is that really the point because 99% of terrorists are Muslim. Of course most blacks don’t live in projects but of those who do they live in inhumane conditions. If projects were owned by private landlords they would be in jail by tomorrow. The other two questions are irrelevant to the discussion. It does not change how the rest live now.
Those question are relevant for this reason. There are far more Blacks in the middle class than living in the housing projects. Black middle class Black upper middle class voters are voting Democrat in large numbers. Why is the middle class and middle upper class segment of the Black population doing fine? Better yet, why has the Black middle class grown substantially since the days of Johnson?

And the fact that you refuse to answer my questions and call them irrelevant shows that you don't think rationally and demonstrate an inability to have an intelligent conversation. My questions are relevant because Blacks are in better shape now than in 1965. The Black middle class is much large, Black professionals are in much large numbers than in 1965. Seems like all of these things have been increasing since 1965. It is the underclass that isn't doing well at all.

It's relevant because you do not tell people who are not looking for free stuff to "stop looking for free stuff". Why would people who are looking for "free stuff" show up at a speech given by a Republican? Why would Given that most Blacks who consider themselves Republican and middle to upper class, why would they be looking for free stuff? That is why it is stupid for a Republican candidate seeking Black votes to bring up "free stuff". Most Blacks aren't looking for "free stuff" and the ones that are probably would not be looking to Republicans for it.

Old 09-26-2015, 09:59 PM

As stupid as Jeb Bush's comment was, think of the video below. This video pretty much shows why Trump will not get the Black vote. I don't think Trump cares either.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hpvvcF7EBwc
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections