Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 07:40 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times

Advertisements

Trump handled himself well on 60 min. He came across much better than Pelley.

One thing I learned early on in life is that when someone tells you that you can't do something, what they are really saying is they can't do it. Because they can't do it they want you to believe you can't do it either and your better off not to try. People like Trump who are doers have heard that all their life. Leaders do, all the time, what the nay sayers believe is impossible.

If we had great leaders running the country they would look at things like NAFTA and do something to correct it. How anyone can buy into harmful free trade that cost us jobs and declining standards as opposed to fair trade where we would actually gain something demonstrates how American workers and people have been sold out by weak leaders.

Last edited by phma; 09-28-2015 at 07:53 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 08:08 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Trump touched a bunch of sacred cows last night. The biggest one was repealing NAFTA. When was the last time you heard anything about NAFTA. NAFTA was sold to us as a vehicle to slow illegal immigration. We lost jobs and got more illegal immigration. I liked it when he said every agreement has an end date.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:29 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post

One thing I learned early on in life is that when someone tells you that you can't do something, what they are really saying is they can't do it. Because they can't do it they want you to believe you can't do it either and your better off not to try. People like Trump who are doers have heard that all their life. Leaders do, all the time, what the nay sayers believe is impossible.

If we had great leaders running the country they would look at things like NAFTA and do something to correct it. How anyone can buy into harmful free trade that cost us jobs and declining standards as opposed to fair trade where we would actually gain something demonstrates how American workers and people have been sold out by weak leaders.
Well said.

Trump's own father told him he couldn't build in Manhattan.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:13 AM

39,072 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:

We did gain from NAFTA. We get cheaper goods sold at greater return for shareholders and owners. That is capitalism working at its most efficient.

Old 09-28-2015, 09:54 AM

2,345 posts, read 1,669,638 times
Quote:

Trump was Commanding. Pelley's garbage rudeness helped Trump, because Trump Shined brilliantly, with calm, firm rebuttal's and concise excellent answers.

Trump entered into a Statesman Presidential Zone !!

Best I've seen Trump.

Old 09-28-2015, 10:58 AM

16,569 posts, read 15,258,911 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
We did gain from NAFTA. We get cheaper goods sold at greater return for shareholders and owners. That is capitalism working at its most efficient.
That kind of capitalism is practiced daily in Latin America. How do you justify tying down domestic manufacturers with loads of environmental and labor laws then leave the back door open for others to leave and set up sweat shops abroad? I assume you are pro labor.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:19 AM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post

You are correct and make a good point. The government by policy and trade agreement have chosen greater return for shareholders and owners at the expense of the working middle class.
The very people necessary that separate us from the 3rd world countries. They picked the winners.
The ones that don't work and live a lifetime off capital gains benefit most. Those that still have jobs and careers that enable them to invest in shares benefit at the expense of those thrown under the bus, now living paycheck to paycheck who will be unable to maintain a decent living standard.
Do we really want a 85 y/o plumber, electrician, roofer, or postal worker to show up with a walker and charge by the hour for the service. The wealth gap is evidence that what you are saying is true. There is no equal opportunity when government picks the winners and losers. It is the corruption of government that does that. If you benefit from that corruption then advocate to maintain it there is no surprise.

It's not good policy or efficient for a labor force that bares the brunt of good jobs lost. Millions of Americans lost good jobs that enabled them to buy good quality products. Stores are full of cheep imports that last a few years then need to be replace. Over a lifetime you will replace those cheep goods many times or you can buy higher quality products that will outlast your life span once and pay a higher price. That price is no longer affordable when the unemployed have to accept the low wage jobs paying $ 12.00 and $15.00 per/hr. It is not efficient or practical in a consumer economy to have a policy or trade agreement that causes unemployment and reduces the consumers choice to nothing but cheep low quality goods because now they have to accept low paying jobs. Add to that the drain on savings and retirement funds while unemployed and no longer being able to contribute significantly to retirement becoming more dependent on Social Security and food stamps and lower standard of living.

In the interview Pelley stated the country was built on the $ 20.00 per/hr jobs. The context is that we don't have those jobs anymore. Certainly not in the numbers that we did in the past. His position is that there is nothing we can do to get them back.
Trump disagrees with with that. Pelley's entire attitude was one of accepting defeat. People that are willing to listen to him might just as well stay in bed all day.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:14 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,405,709 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM05 View Post
Trump was Commanding. Pelley's garbage rudeness helped Trump, because Trump Shined brilliantly, with calm, firm rebuttal's and concise excellent answers.

Trump entered into a Statesman Presidential Zone !!

Best I've seen Trump.
Lord, help us.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:48 PM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Hillary Clinton and Carly Fiorina: Meet The Press
Bernie Sanders (audio): Face The Nation
Ben Carson and Martin O'Malley: CNN's State of the Union
Donald Trump: 60 Minutes
Ben Carson: ABC's This Week
Jeb! Bush: wait for it, wait for it...Fox News Sunday
Thank you for this list. I don't have a TV and rely on much of my information from YouTube (and pray these networks will post these shows).

I found these among those that you've listed, but some are short / cut into several snippets and only focus on one issue (as the first one, with Hillary Clinton), but others go for a full 30 minutes and cover many more questions.

I don't think the debate forum is fair because some of them talk over their time limit or over each other; each candidate is not asked the same question; and some don't get to speak as often as others. It's really irritating to me. I just want to know (from the respective horses' mouths) every single thing each of these people stand for.

Here's the "Meet the Press" coverage, which is chopped up into several video snippets:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...GHUkVkj3oIz-eY

From the list, here's Hillary Clinton:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I9E9-lZ456A

Carly Fiorina:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3imb...GHUkVkj3oIz-eY

Bernie Sanders (a different show; I want to see his face, not listen to his voice)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qUmBp-TJMvc

Donald Trump: (another "Meet the Candidate" show on NBC; couldn't find the entire "60 Minutes" interview):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-GwG1_TkhQI

Jeb Bush:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=asTczDzvtlE

Marco Rubio:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Av32IY811gw

I hope someone adds to or modifies this list to make it more fair and comprehensive.

Old 09-28-2015, 11:57 PM

2,414 posts, read 3,484,744 times
I think Carli Fiorina needs a drug test before she's allowed to stay in the race. I just watched her Meet the Press interview, and her eyes were twitching and blinking a million times a minute. I'm not sure if she's a robot malfunctioning, or strung out on drugs, her answers were robotic and spit out so fast that she looked like a machine with a glitch. It was bizarre and not presidential at all. She's not good for tv.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections