Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-28-2015, 06:03 PM

2,366 posts, read 1,647,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Hey, I don't have Trump's assets but none of my endeavors have EVER filed bankruptcy or stiffed creditors, a stunt that Trump pulls off repeatedly. And I do have successful businesses.
How many businesses do you own? Surely not as many as Trump. Trump holds ownership in over 400 companies, of which only four have filed for bankruptcy. That's less than a 1% bankruptcy rate compared to the top 500 largest U.S. companies bankruptcy rate of 5%. Quite remarkable. Even more remarkable, he's created tens of thousands of jobs which far outweighs any financial losses stemming from his four business bankruptcies.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-28-2015, 06:04 PM

773 posts, read 786,528 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
Again, depending on where you live, $50,000 for a household and what you can do with that differs greatly. Cost of living makes a difference. That also enters into "living wage" discussions that I see. Obviously I get tired of hearing how we are probably barely getting by. Debt-free since 2001.
Then dial in the cost of living into the equation, if our elected officials don't find that too challenging. Bottom line is to allow wage earners to keep what is needed to pay for their needs.

"Debt-free since 2001." What were you referring to?

Old 09-28-2015, 06:08 PM

6,369 posts, read 6,408,962 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
World trade collapse? So? The American Middle Class hasn't benefited from it.

Worrying about "world trade" is pointless if you have a job being sent to Mexico because the globalists want it there. Let the "world" worry about their jobs and we will worry about ours.
Doesn't the American Middle Class put together Caterpillar machines in Peoria that get exported around the world? And John Deere machines that are sold to farmers who sell grain around the world? And drive the trucks and run the trains that bring imported goods from our ports to the rest of the country?

Trade equals prosperity. Always has, always will. You have to ignore history and arithmetic to pretend otherwise. But that is Trump's platform, and yours too, I guess.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:30 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by marcopolo View Post
Doesn't the American Middle Class put together Caterpillar machines in Peoria that get exported around the world? And John Deere machines that are sold to farmers who sell grain around the world? And drive the trucks and run the trains that bring imported goods from our ports to the rest of the country?

Trade equals prosperity. Always has, always will. You have to ignore history and arithmetic to pretend otherwise. But that is Trump's platform, and yours too, I guess.

Fair trade equals prosperity. Shared job loss equals less harm. We have to wait and see what happens and how it's done..

Caterpillar layoffs could ripple through central Illinois economy - News - The State Journal-Register - Springfield, IL

"Any loss of good-paying jobs here in the Midwest, that's harmful," Bruno said. "But if these things are distributed in a way that … it's spread around the world, that really doesn't have as much of an impact.
"If you close a plant or you dislocate 300, 400 or 500 people from the city of Peoria, that's really going to be felt." Indeed, moves like Thursday's are one of the effects of being a globalized company, Bruno said.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:47 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
Me no like it.

But I have to admit it is a good plan.

Old 09-28-2015, 06:49 PM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times
If no one is paying any taxes in, where is the money going to come from for Social Security? Sounds like Trump has figured out how to bankrupt the system. Don't pay anything in, you won't get anything out later in life.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:00 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times
"Trump favored a one-time surtax of 14.25 percent on people worth more than $10 million. "The plan would cost me $700 million personally in the short term," Trump wrote, "but it would be worth it." If Trump's back-of-the-classy-monogrammed-handkerchief math was correct, the surtax would have wiped at the debt."

I like the above

However,

What did were tax changes described (but not validated) as "revenue neutral," which flatted out some rates in a way that actually made them easier on the very rich. Exhibit A: Cutting the tax on small business, or "pass-through," income from 39.6 percent to 15 percent.

"By lowering the rate of pass-through income to 15 percent he's creating a massive new loophole," said Jared Bernstein, who served as chief economist and economic adviser to Vice President Joe Biden. "Every single person in the top bracket would have a huge incentive to incorporate somehow."

and I don't like the above.
http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/p...pulist-moment/
and you just have to decide if this is a good plan yourself. Sounds awesome on paper though.

Old 09-28-2015, 07:17 PM

39,078 posts, read 51,231,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Did you see this?

"Republican presidential candidate Donald Trump's newly released tax plan was given a blessing Monday by the nation's biggest anti-tax advocate, Grover Norquist, who said it would produce "jobs, jobs, jobs." As Trump revealed his plan at a press conference, Norquist's influential Americans for Tax Reform released its review that Trump's plan is "consistent" with the advocacy group's "Taxpayer Protection Pledge."

Grover Norquist blesses Trump's tax plan, brings 'Jobs, jobs, jobs' | Washington Examiner

Good thing I'm not a candidate. I would have to apologize for calling Norquist a Muppet, in the past.
I bet Norquist likes that corporate rate. Obama's been talking 28, Republicans 25%. I am an advocate of sharply reduced corporate taxes - to zero even given certain conditions. They are too often used as payback to donors, public policy tools (not that that is always bad) and to meddle in the free market. BUT, you gotta make it up somewhere and I fear under Trump's plan as well as the others like the flat tax schemes that the government will be reaching into my pocket for that. Trump plans to balance his marginal rate changes with taking away deductions from the middle class. Norquist's support makes me even more worried. We will have to wait for the fine print details that are probably not forthcoming any time soon.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:25 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
It matters in the sense that it gives him more presidential appeal than insulting women does. What gets me is that his supporters actually believe that any of this would ever become law. Like if you vote for Trump you will ever see his policies in action. You won't. History is instructive. Obama's fans felt the same way in '08. Washington is where hope and change goes to die.
Then why badgering him for months to produce a plan? Can’t you say this about any candidate? Why have any plan then? Every law was somebody’s plan at some point.

Old 09-28-2015, 08:27 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Is Trump really a Republican? No wonder Club for Growth is taking out ads against him.
First of all, let us worry about that. Second, Grover Norquest was just on CNN heaping praise on this plan. That’s one confused organization for sure.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections