Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2015, 07:37 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,381,429 times

Advertisements

You can switch back and forth between 100 different channels, and you still won't find the GOP looking favorable. The GOP stinks on every channel, and reporting this reality doesn't make the media "disingenuous".

No margin of error can help the free-falling Conservatives...and don't you forget it either.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2015, 08:12 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Both networks cited the WSJ/NBC poll in talking about the GOP race but neither bothered to mention the 6.5% margin of error in that poll
I don't believe you are right on this. Any poll graphic that networks put up always contains margin of error data. Like these (squint!):

They are very challenging to see, however.

On the other hand, I am sure that most networks do not mention the margin of error when they are describing polls verbally.

Mick

Old 09-29-2015, 08:17 AM

4,540 posts, read 2,767,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I'm probably going to get this thread closed and maybe get a suspension but if you talked that condescendingly to me in person I'd kick you in the nuts.
I sincerely hope not... we'd be deprived of your thoughtful and original commentary!

Bless your heart...

Old 09-29-2015, 08:24 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
The polls had the same error margin when Trump was leading by more. Clearly you are simply upset his lead has shrunk, and you blame CNN for it.
Nope. Even the pollster admits that 6.5% is pretty bad. Basically they called up some random people, got the result they wanted, and then reported it as news & fact. There is no correlation to real world because no serious pollster would actually admit to this.

The MSM is against a Trump nomination. This is how they are attempting to engineer that outcome.

Old 09-29-2015, 08:33 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Nope. Even the pollster admits that 6.5% is pretty bad. Basically they called up some random people, got the result they wanted, and then reported it as news & fact. There is no correlation to real world because no serious pollster would actually admit to this.

The MSM is against a Trump nomination. This is how they are attempting to engineer that outcome.
Sooooo, why are all polls showing a big lead for Mr. Trump? I guess he really isn't winning. Is that what y'all saying?

If "MSM is against a Trump nomination" (and assuming all the polling firms are controlled or influenced by MSM) as you say, why would they allow polls to show Mr. Trump leading the field time and time again. With all due respect, hogwash.

Mick

Old 09-29-2015, 08:35 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,618,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Sooooo, why are all polls showing a big lead for Mr. Trump? I guess he really isn't winning. Is that what y'all saying?
If you took a moment to think about what was written you would have your answer. Look at the margin of error for this particular poll. Even NBC said it was hugely high.

Old 09-29-2015, 07:16 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,968,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey-head View Post
I sincerely hope not... we'd be deprived of your thoughtful and original commentary!

Bless your heart...
The Elections forum needs Laura's Trump threads. Nothing more exciting that reading how wonderful Laura thinks Trump is 50-100 times a day. Duplicate Trump threads? Who cares.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:22 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
I don't believe you are right on this. Any poll graphic that networks put up always contains margin of error data. Like these (squint!):

They are very challenging to see, however.

On the other hand, I am sure that most networks do not mention the margin of error when they are describing polls verbally.

Mick
Show me it or let me listen to a clip where the 6.5% or 6.1% in the WSJ poll is mentioned anywhere. The margin of error on the people being polled is lower when both Democrats and Republican are being asked the question but when they polled on the "Who would you vote for today?" question they polled much less people because Democrats only answer the Democrat version of the question and Republicans only answer their version of the question. They have to poll more people. But the pollsters can do whatever they want. I'm annoyed the reporters stay silent when the margin of error is so high. If they are going to flit from poll results polling all to polling results by party only, doubling the MOE, the reporters should say the higher MOE. I'm no fan of Jeb! but they're all dooming him on his low number in the WSJ poll when if they just mentioned the real MOE you would see he could be in 3rd place.

Last edited by LauraC; 09-30-2015 at 06:32 AM..

Old 09-30-2015, 06:26 AM

76,975 posts, read 47,615,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post

On the contrary, the MSM is in love with Trump.

Old 09-30-2015, 10:13 AM

37,801 posts, read 41,003,240 times
Here's a new poll out today. It is the ABC News/Washington Post Poll. Can you tell me from reading this news article what the margin of error is for all adults vs Republicans? We know they surveyed all adults (includes Democrats)and Republicans separately based on what is written but this is the only statement about margin of error in the article.

"The ABC News/Washington Post poll was conducted among 1,000 adults and has a margin of error of +/- 4 percentage points."

Okay but what's the margin of error for Republican voters only. Democrats and illegal aliens and unregistered eligible voters are adults but won't be voting in the Republican primary.

Poll: Less-educated Republicans love Trump the most | Sun Times National

The actual poll says this:

"This ABC News/Washington Post poll was conducted by landline and cell phone Sept. 23-27, 2015, in English and Spanish, among a random national sample of 1,000 adults. Results have a margin of sampling error of 4 points."

http://www.langerresearch.com/wp-con...sonFiorina.pdf

Again, how many Republican voters were sampled and what's the margin of error for that group since analysis is done for all adults and just Republicans? Are the "adults" even registered to vote?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections