Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-04-2015, 02:46 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Ah, "the same Trump we have been seeing since he entered the race," like when he said a few weeks ago that he wanted to raise taxes on the rich and the debt was too high, but last week came out with a plan that lowers taxes on the rich while adding $11 trillion to the debt?
You think he's correct on the issues? The guy throws out platitudes, generalities and unworkable ideas. When asked how he's going to "make America great," he answers with, "I'll hire terrific people." Gee, why didn't anyone else think of that?

Trump proposes to build a huge wall across the south border that he says will be "cheap." Meanwhile, very few are trying to cross the border illegally.

If you think that Trump is correct on the issues, what specifics do you agree with?
Very few? You've got to be joking. The following link only reports apprehensions, and does not take into effect the numbers that successfully elude border patrol and make it into this country.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...0-FY2014_0.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-04-2015, 02:49 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,948,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Very few? You've got to be joking. The following link only reports apprehensions, and does not take into effect the numbers that successfully elude border patrol and make it into this country.

https://www.cbp.gov/sites/default/fi...0-FY2014_0.pdf
Instead of saying 'trying' I should have said succeeding. Apprehensions are down by 70% and the rest are apprehended. We really don't need a wall.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/politi...2a4_story.html

Quote:
As the Department of Homeland Security continues to pour money into border security, evidence is emerging that illegal immigration flows have fallen to their lowest level in at least two decades.

Old 10-04-2015, 03:31 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
Ah, "the same Trump we have been seeing since he entered the race," like when he said a few weeks ago that he wanted to raise taxes on the rich and the debt was too high, but last week came out with a plan that lowers taxes on the rich while adding $11 trillion to the debt?
You think he's correct on the issues? The guy throws out platitudes, generalities and unworkable ideas. When asked how he's going to "make America great," he answers with, "I'll hire terrific people." Gee, why didn't anyone else think of that?

Trump proposes to build a huge wall across the south border that he says will be "cheap." Meanwhile, very few are trying to cross the border illegally.

If you think that Trump is correct on the issues, what specifics do you agree with?
You're not listening close enough. We have a lot of unemployed to include those that have given up looking and are on public assistance because there are no jobs in their area, the underemployed and we produce virtually nothing. Obviously, you are younger and don't remember what America used to be and maybe aren't that famliar with economics but what he is saying makes perfect sense. One of the reasons everything is being let go is that the tax base has disappeared as we are pushed into 3rd world status.

Repealing NAFTA, putting the tariff on incoming goods like we used to when America was great. E-verifying ALL jobs will work to open jobs to legal residents as it should be.

I trust that he knows how to hire "terrific people" and probably has an idea who he will ask and has probably asked them and knows that they will be onboard with him when he is elected as POTUS. Others hire who they make promises to, Trump does not. Seriously, someone like Obama who considers himself "good" couldn't recognize "good" from not.

The Wall? You simply charge a fee on incoming goods that will cover it. They don't want to pay the fee, they don't bring in their goods. Everyone crossing could be charged a fee. And, if you don't think that people are crossing the border illegally: 2.5 million illegals cross border under Obama, less than Bush - Washington Times Less, maybe but no one really knows BUT we need the wall to keep them there once deported. This will also help reduce the illegal drug traffic coming in which is a plague on our country and save billions of tax dollars not carrying these people here illegally. Also, he wants to address HB1 visas because these foreign workers are displacing our tech people who are left either underemployed or unemployed.

I agree with everything but then, I studied World History, US History and Economics. I see the plague that illegal immigration is every day of my life now. The Iran deal, oh my gosh, an embarrassment to our country. ObamacareNot is a disaster.

There has been a domino effect going on for some time now. Students graduating from high school and college aren't finding jobs. Wages and benefits have become nothing and pensions are essentially gone. We are constantly told to save for retirement because social security is disappearing. What the heck are we supposed to save when so many can't even make ends meet with the depressed wages?

At this point, giving someone a chance with real ideas and actually acknowledging the issues is well worth the risk that will be minimal. We are so far south that 4 years won't make or break our country. But, Trump will get it started in the first 4 years and finish a lot of the details in his 2nd term as POTUS.

Trump represents hope to a country that has lost hope in the hands of the incompetence, selfish, lazy and corrupt politicians. We need to get behind Trump and kick our representatives in the butt and get them to serve the people that elected them because a POTUS cannot do the job alone (even though King Obama thinks so), he will need our support all the way. "Let's Make American Great Again"? Notice "Let's" - Let US, team effort. Go Trump 2016!

Old 10-04-2015, 03:55 PM

16,569 posts, read 15,274,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
thanks, you and I see it pretty much the same: we have to remember, his wall will be beautiful as well. He told us that last week. Yes, he has stayed pretty true to his opinions the last few months, but lets examine the past?
When I hear someone question how we are going to build a wall I know I am speaking to a hack. How we are going to build a freaking wall? The same way we built the Transcontinental Railway in the 1800s and the interstate highway system int he 50s. You put out an RFP and everybody from Joe the Builder to Bechtel Corporation will step up. Everybody ridiculed the notion that Mexico will pay for it until Trump mentioned that Mexico is running $45B annual trade deficit withe the US. That’s your leverage. My question is why did it take Trump to bring that up?

Old 10-04-2015, 04:03 PM

6,811 posts, read 6,947,168 times
Quote:
Instead of saying 'trying' I should have said succeeding. Apprehensions are down by 70% and the rest are apprehended. We really don't need a wall.

Fewer immigrants are entering the U.S. illegally, and that
Interesting deposition from an actual Border Control agent. Numbers are being fudged.

Hearings | Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs Committee

Old 10-04-2015, 04:18 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,652,035 times
Quote:

You criticize Trump of platitudes and yet you imitate him in your comments with the same "Platitudes" we hear over and over.
Negative generalities and unworkable ideas. A mind that doesn't work well will find almost all ideas unworkable. Someone who hasn't built
anything consistently on a large scale finds it impossible to imagine, let alone accept, the ideas of those who can. That's what happens when when we don't have victory's. We develop a defeated attitude. We don't go to work but are more than willing to collect welfare and food stamps. We can go to the moon but we can't create a barrier to control the border. I was alive when President Kennedy's vision was turned into a goal to be achieved. Many said we will never go to the moon. There were many at the time who thought it couldn't and/or wouldn't be done. Trump has stated how Mexico will pay for the wall. That is a workable plan.
I think you are correct that we are seeing less illegals crossing, and have been sense the economy has been in the toilet, but if it ever gets back on track and improves, demand will change, as it always has. If anyone opened and ran a store like we run this country, they would be broke the day after opening, providing healthcare, education, and all the things that illegals get or want for free.

Now - here is where I'm really going to get myself in trouble. But just like Trump if it's true maybe it needs to be said. When the Pope was here he spoke and encouraged illegal/legal immigration IMO. I have no problem with that if he is willing to open the Vatican Treasury to pay for it. No, he isn't doing that. The churches collect money from the people in this country to enable the migrants to get the services paid for by the Tax Payers. Churches that aid illegals should be in violation of the law and lose their tax free status. To aid and abet illegals should be a crime. Because they are aiding and abetting criminals who have broken the law to get and remain here.

There is no issue by itself from any candidate that can't be torn apart and criticized. What all the other candidates are missing is the VISSION in which the issues must be framed. When that is done Trump is the clear winner. Many candidates address the issues without any vision beyond the issue. Most are selling band-aid BS and a clear example of that is Hillary's tax plan. It's really to early to make a complete assessment of the issues and how they will promote the vision because they haven't all been released. Trump's next release is his cost cutting plan. So far I haven't been disappointed with his plans on the issues as they seem consistent with his overall vision.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:32 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
I believe the leftist media thinks Trump is an idiot savant who just happens to get it right in certain areas they agree with. Maybe they walk away from interviews with a better knowledge and understanding of who Trump is, and that he's serious and not just a caricature. I have definitely noticed a few pundits softening since his tax plans were released.
The leftist media? I don't think Fox is any too impressed either. Maybe they'll come around.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:46 PM
PDD

8,773 posts, read 18,389,033 times
It's kind of difficult to disagree with most of Trumps ideas. What I don't like about Trump is that if you disagree with him, he stoops to name calling and insults. If you want people to agree with you stop insulting them.

How is he going to get congress to spend the money he want to spend building a wall.
Is he going to start taxing Ford, GM, Chrysler for bringing their cars across the border.

Do you really think he is going to stop the Mexican drug Cartel from bringing their drugs here? Too much money involved for that to stop, those people will stop at nothing to make sure we still get the drugs including a presidential assassination.

He said he will bomb Iran and take their oil. Really and nobody in the mid east is going to stop you.

Trump has said a lot of good things but it takes a diplomat to get things done and he has yet to display any diplomacy. Insulting interviewers and your opponents show how much class he lacks.

Running the country is not as easy as paying off the local politicians and strong arming building contractors.

Too many intelligent voter for Trump to win. He may get the TEA Party vote but that has never gotten anybody elected.

Old 10-04-2015, 04:48 PM

9,828 posts, read 9,417,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
Interesting deposition from an actual Border Control agent. Numbers are being fudged.

Hearings | Homeland Security & Governmental Affairs Committee
Yawn @ the conspiracy theories.

Typical whenever reality disagrees with the warped worldview of right-wingers (which is always).

Old 10-04-2015, 05:00 PM

62,958 posts, read 29,141,740 times
Quote:

You of course can provide a link to your claims that last week Trump came out with a plan to lower taxes on the rich while adding $11 trillion to the debt, right? I'll wait.

Huge wall? I wouldn't call building one along only 700 miles of our most porous southern border a huge wall across the entire border. Very few are trying to cross the border illegally? Are you kidding? The more Obama promises them amnesty and continues to grant stays of deportation by EO the more that keep coming in to get in on it. Of course you have a viable link for your claims about that also, right?

Building a wall would be cheaper than allowing more of these leeches to come in here to steal jobs, resources and taxes from the American people. It costs us billions a year. A wall would be a one time expense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections