Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-05-2015, 08:23 AM

26,563 posts, read 14,439,886 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
This lawsuit will go nowhere fast, just like the lawsuit against Bill Maher.
agreed.

trump doesn't seem to have a good understanding and/or love for the first amendment.

Donald Trump Sues Bill Maher for $5M - ABC News

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...t-have-a-case/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2015, 08:30 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,945,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrecking ball View Post
agreed.

trump doesn't seem to have a good understanding and/or love for the first amendment.

Donald Trump Sues Bill Maher for $5M - ABC News

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...t-have-a-case/
Worse, Trump doesn't have a grasp of how to manage publicity. He has the entertainer's view that all publicity is good. That's not true for a politician.

If he shut-up, most of the people wouldn't know about this. Make it an issue and everyone knows and views him as a whiner (instead of a winner.)

Old 10-05-2015, 09:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
.... everyone knows and views him as a whiner...
a character trait he seems to be proud of:

Donald Trump: I keep whining until I win - CNN Video

Old 10-05-2015, 09:56 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Rudy Giuliani liked to take credit for reduction in crime. The realty was that crime dropped nationwide at the same time. Crime dropped because of demographics. Teens committed most of the crime and at the time there was an abundance of teens. When they aged out, crime dropped.
Yes, and to take it a step further, Roe v. Wade in 1973 led to legalized abortions that got rid of countless unwanted kids from underprivileged background, and that in turn led to lower crimes because there were much fewer such people. I've read Freakonomics. I think they are right.

Mick

Old 10-05-2015, 09:59 AM

27,798 posts, read 32,427,246 times
Most of us can see what Trump is all about......no problem, what's concerning to me is that he seems to have a following of people who can't see him for who/what he is......

Old 10-05-2015, 10:02 AM

11,755 posts, read 7,114,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
Most of us can see what Trump is all about......no problem, what's concerning to me is that he seems to have a following of people who can't see him for who/what he is......
I am good with that. If Mr. Trump never ran, those same people would be supporting Raffy Cruz, iCarly or Dr. Carson. God help us. At least Mr. Trump is a moderate Democrat at heart.

Mick

Old 10-05-2015, 10:30 AM

5,940 posts, read 3,570,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldogdad View Post
Funny reading all the posts from wannabe trademark lawyers who slept at a Holiday Inn Express last night.
Some folks may have slept there, and some folks may have sat through a "Trade Mark" ordeal. Others may have the intelligence to read, and the Law is pretty specific and available for reading. The Name, the Appearance, and short Phrases are protected. If a product resembles another product close enough to be mistaken and purchased by a consumer, instead of the original product, you have a problem. Just that plain and simple.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:54 AM

6,230 posts, read 3,607,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dane_in_LA View Post
The protections extended to political speech are not exclusively for literal speech - speech is interpreted broadly.

Do you consider it likely that a reasonable person would accidentally think that Blasio was wearing an acrtual Trump hat, or that someone would purchase a Blasio hat when they intended to buy a Trump one? That's the standard that a straightforward trademark case has to meet. Add to that the reasonable-use protection for parody and the extra protection added to political speech. Doesn't help that the "visual likeness" is essentially a red cap with white lettering - not exactly a unique design.

It's a waste and it will go nowhere.
Not just a red cap with white lettering, but the exact same shade of red with lettering that is the same font, and the same slogan save for one word. Also, you have to look at what context the De Blasio hats are being represented or sold. Are they always associated with the mayor? If not, then yes some people could mistake one for the other.

Old 10-05-2015, 10:57 AM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
While those are laudable goals, he needs to balance other considerations, too. He needs to execute existing laws better as well. I think Rudy Giuliani is a fascist, but he and Bloomberg restored NYC as one of the best cities in the world, in large part with enforcement of law and order. If you lived through the Dinkins administration, you'd know exactly what I am talking about. NYC had become a very unpleasant place to live.

Mick
Crime in NYC started to decline during the Dinkins administration. Peaked in 1990 and dropped during each of his last three years in office.

Old 10-05-2015, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Not just a red cap with white lettering, but the exact same shade of red with lettering that is the same font,....
for this to be a concern trump would have had to specifically add the color combo and font to the trademark application. since he's also put the slogan on white hats, blue backgrounds and in multiple fonts i find it unlikely that he did.

even if he had, i'd still fall into the camp that believes blasio is within his rights and expect trump to quietly drop the suit in a few weeks when the attention dies down ( same as with his lawsuit against bill maher ).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections