Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2015, 08:45 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times

Advertisements

I am by no means an expert on congressional procedures, but just because many other politicians vote for something they don't bother to read, does that make it right? We need to hold our elected officials to a higher standard instead of giving them passes for behavior that wouldn't begin to fly in the private sector.

Rubio's connection to David Rivera (voted one of the most corrupt politicians), his ties to his billionaire sugar daddy, and poor job performance make him unsuitable for the presidency. No 40 year old should have someone else pay his living expenses, provide work for his spouse, in addition to numerous other perks, especially when you are already receiving a senator's salary. Rubio's connection with Norman Braman will hurt him, IMO.

If you can't do your job at a lower level, or handle your own personal finances, how can you be trusted to handle the "big stuff" as president? There may be a place for Rubio sometime down the road, but that time is not now.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2015, 08:53 AM

6,811 posts, read 6,941,266 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
I bet the average person doesn't have a clue what you are talking about. If they did they might not be so quick to judge. Or maybe they would; they all have an agenda and a favorite choice for President. Most of us know who they support.
Pairing is a crummy process. The attending member of the 'pair" does not vote anything except "present". So by the absence of the other paired member, both votes are not counted. The absent member actually takes the opportunity to vote away from the attending member by not showing up. How is this a harmless or positive action??

This is an informal voluntary agreement NOT specifically authorized or recognized by House or Senate rules. In other words, collusion and insider shenanigans that others turn a blind eye to. And they wonder why congress has such a low approval rating!

Old 10-06-2015, 08:58 AM

7,413 posts, read 6,225,470 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
I can't believe people are giving him a pass for NOT DOING HIS JOB.

Rubio's voting history is disturbing. He's continued to collect his paycheck, but has been slacking off for the past 4 years.

73 Votes in 2011 .....55 Votes in 2012 .....45 Votes in 2013.....25 Votes in 2014 .....4 Votes in 2015

If this were any job in the private sector, he would have been fired for decreased productivity and excessive absenteeism.

To add insult to injury, one of the few times he DID decide to vote it was for fast tracking Obamatrade - without even reading it. Unfortunately, his was the deciding vote.
Everything about Rubio is disturbing. He's so packaged that he should have 'GOP brand' stamped on his forehead.

The next debate should be interesting. Something tells me Rubio doesn't handle confrontation very well.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:37 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Quote:
Pairing is a crummy process. The attending member of the 'pair" does not vote anything except "present". So by the absence of the other paired member, both votes are not counted. The absent member actually takes the opportunity to vote away from the attending member by not showing up. How is this a harmless or positive action??

This is an informal voluntary agreement NOT specifically authorized or recognized by House or Senate rules. In other words, collusion and insider shenanigans that others turn a blind eye to. And they wonder why congress has such a low approval rating!
I have no dog in the Rubio fight so I really don't give a damn about what he does, but

If I'm gonna vote yea, and you are gonna vote no and we are both in our districts when the vote takes place, the outcome is the same. Trouble is, we both need to make the effort to let the whips know, so the result is not changed by our absence. There is no collusion or insider shenanigans. But, for this to work, everyone has to be nice and civil. Just because people have a different take on an issue does not make the other one stupid, evil or an enemy.

One need not be on the Senate floor 24/7 to be considered at work.

Old 10-06-2015, 09:45 PM

609 posts, read 505,553 times
Republicans have so many candidates ... I'm still surprised, they can't find one to unite around. I thought Rubio had the least baggage (because, that's really what matters)... Trump is still DA MAN ...

Old 10-06-2015, 09:57 PM
Status: "everybody getting reported now.." (set 17 days ago)

29,546 posts, read 16,528,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bentlebee View Post
It seems Marco Rubio has a 29% attendance record when it came to voting as a Senator which sounds similar to Obama but of course Rubio has better ideas than Obama but
the average Attendance rate in the Senate is 1.6(using Gov Track)

Every presidential candidate is above that.

Cruz is 11.4 (missing 106 votes out of 931)
Rubio is 11.3 (missing 160 of 1,417)
Rand Paul is 3.2 ( missing 45 of 1,417)

Attendance is the amount of votes missed, not the amount of votes attended.

Not sure where the 29% is from unless that is just for 2015 or days he actually went to his office while congress is debating a bill, to which I would argue that the number skews the results.

Old 10-07-2015, 01:06 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
The next debate should be interesting. Something tells me Rubio doesn't handle confrontation very well.

Yep, though I don't think it's so much his temper that might be a problem; I feel like he gets moody, glum, and withdrawn if he's in an emotionally charged environment. He seems to try too hard to accommodate everyone, and I think he takes personal attacks very personally.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:05 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:

Hello!!! I am very much aware of what it is.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:10 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
If you can’t deport illegals now, you can’t deport them anytime in the future either because the concerns you raise will always be there. Reminds of parents who can’t say no to their kids. It is always if-yo-do-this-one-more-time thing. Of course they know it is just talk and will keep doing it.
OMG, there is no similarity to saying or not saying No, to your child and deporting somewhere around 12 million if not more people. I am having trouble understanding how anyone thinks this can be done? It is wonderful to want to do it, but it is totally unreasonable to think it can be done. Should and can some be deported? Of course. Should a fence or wall be built? Maybe, and should those who stay be given any government help? No, not until the fulfill the requirements to receive a green card, but I still do not believe there is any way to send them all back. Are you going to pay for the deportation? Remember they are not all Mexicans and from central America. They are from all over the world.

Old 10-07-2015, 10:18 AM

4,081 posts, read 3,603,261 times
Believe me, this is Marco's plan. He wants to fly under the radar until the field thins out a bit, then he's become a stronger and more vocal figure. In this election cycle, there is no way to out-Trump Trump. Rubio's strategy is a good one IMO.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections