Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2008, 12:59 PM

3,127 posts, read 7,629,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by big daryle View Post
Unfortunately, I have to agree with JVTX2, there are still too many racists in the US for Obama to have a shot!!!!
Congradulations my friend, you saw right through what I was trying to say without actually saying it, for fear of being labeled .

At this time our country is not ready for a black president. It is ready for a woman president. Our nations attitudes towards minorities is still too shaky. Maybe in 20 years, but not now.

Just being honest!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2008, 01:01 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
What does it mean for Hillary and Obama. Which one will he endorse, implicitly or explicitly?
Whichever offers him the best deal for his delegates. He controls them, right? (not sure how it works)

Old 01-30-2008, 01:03 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post
Congradulations my friend, you saw right through what I was trying to say without actually saying it, for fear of being labeled .

At this time our country is not ready for a black president. It is ready for a woman president. Our nations attitudes towards minorities is still too shaky. Maybe in 20 years, but not now.

Just being honest!!

Again, it's about culture, not his race. Obama has some weird racial baggage that MAY be insurmountable. And yes folks, that baggage WILL be aired.

Colin Powell had, at one point, the highest approval and affinity ratings of all Washington Politicians. Conservatives - the ones we all say are against the notions of blacks in charge, speak highly of Condi Rice. BUT, these individuals don't make "being black" their selling point.

Again, I could be wrong. I used to say the first woman and first black president would be conservative. We'll see.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:26 PM

14,317 posts, read 22,385,663 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cricketfan View Post
What does it mean for Hillary and Obama. Which one will he endorse, implicitly or explicitly?
It means that Edwards was not the candidate of choice and his message did not resonate with the portions of the voters that were exposed to his message. Frankly, I wish Edwards well and I especially hope that his wife overcomes her health concerns. But Edwards was never really a serious candidate and should not have been taken seriously. He realized such and wisely saved himself and his lovely wife further disappointment and hardship. Edwards was practically cancelled out by Kerry's endorsement of Obama. Pretty big blow when the man who chose you as his running mate in the last election indicates that he doesn't believe in you by endorsing someone else. Not sure how this will play out with Edwards. Perhaps he will throw his support for Hillary in response.

Hillary would welcome this endorsement too. She needs all the help she can get. She has an undignified, WalMart-style of presentation. Incredibly phony for her to seek out Ted Kennedy at the state-of-the-union speech, wearing that fake smile while seeking to show the cameras that she implicitly is on great terms with Kennedy. What a farce she is. She tried to score points her with perception rather than substance. Maybe her advisors told her to see if she can get a picture shaking Kennedy's hand in front of Obama as a show of 1) implied disrepect for Obama by invading his personal space (put him in his place) and 2) minimize the effect of Kennedy's endorsement of Obama by showing that this endorsement wasn't a rejection of her as a person or candidate. Hillary's candidacy is all about perception, smoke, and mirrors. Listening to her, I hear nothing substantive. As I heard on the BBC, Hillary Clinton will "say anything and change nothing." She hopes to win the presidency by 1) relying on anti-Bush, anti-conservative backlash, 2) relying on the Clinton name and the popularity that her husband had as president, 3) relying on the fact that her opponent is black. If this hollow, farcical person can exploit any of these three factors to boost her chances, she will wholeheartedly take advantage.

Barack doesn't need Edwards' endorsement. Edwards was not much of a factor and pales in comparison to Barack as a candidate for this office. Barack will not be boosted by an Edwards endorsement and the endorsement doesn't add or detract from Barack's message. Unfortunately, there exists a segment of this country that bases its entire evaluation of a candidate on racial grounds. Vote for the candidate who takes the most anti-black stance. Vote for the candidate who is not black. Vote for the candidate who is most likely to beat the black candidate. Ignore the brilliance of the candidate because he is black. Support the woman because she isn't black. Vote for the white candidate despite his being inferior to the black candidate. Change party affiliations to make sure the black candidate doesn't win. Vote against the black candidate because he doesn't have enough experience, is not old enough, doesn't state all of his positions, doesn't support the correct position on Iraq, doesn't wear his suit correctly, didn't stand in the right position when talking to a reporter, wasn't smiling when greeted, might only support black causes, didn't go to Yale, didn't go to Yale and Harvard at the same time, doesn't tap dance, doesn't do any shucking and jiving, is not black enough, is not white enough, and so forth. Incredible lunacy among the voters as evidenced by the 61 million who voted for Bush in the last election. I applaud Obama for setting his course, sticking to it, and staying strong no matter what the outcome. He's not out to be anything different than what he is: a brilliant, versatile, substantive man of immense character who happens to be black and is bordering on being so overqualified that his suitability and superiority are unrecognizable by the general masses.

Finally, I think it's too early to be comparing McCain with any Dem candidate. He is floating on air absent the dark cloud that is the Bush presidency that he supported. Easy to fool yourself into thinking that the republicans actually have a chance to win given the disastrous two terms that this republican village idiot has put this country and the world through. McCain in particular, has the most to lose once his positions and support of these policies are brought to the forefront in the proper format. Currently this is not the focus. So, republicans, continue dreaming and acting as if the Bush presidency never happened. Your party is in trouble.

Last edited by LexusNexus; 01-30-2008 at 01:42 PM..

Old 01-30-2008, 01:27 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVTX72 View Post

Just being honest!!
That's true with some people, but perhaps not true enough.

With statements such as
Quote:
Obama has some weird racial baggage that MAY be insurmountable. And yes folks, that baggage WILL be aired.
floating around, there are folks who will try their level best to prove you right, JVTX72. But be encouraged; I'm a Black man born in the '60s; perservered through school integration, riots and discrimination of all sorts, and can attest that more people are 'ready' than ever before.

Obama is someone who gives people that chance, not just to demonstrate that they're beyond bias or petty prejudices, but he gives people a chance to be heard on issues that matter most to them.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:32 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,413 times
Well said, Alexus. Very well said.

Old 01-30-2008, 01:37 PM

17,291 posts, read 29,402,468 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
With statements such as floating around, there are folks who will try their level best to prove you right, JVTX72. But be encouraged; I'm a Black man born in the '60s; perservered through school integration, riots and discrimination of all sorts, and can attest that more people are 'ready' than ever before.
No JVTX72, some of us are realists who realize this aint the 60s.

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist
Obama is someone who gives people that chance, not just to demonstrate that they're beyond bias or petty prejudices, but he gives people a chance to be heard on issues that matter most to them.
Oh? Is THAT what he does? "Gives people a chance to be heard on issues that matter most to them?" Cause all I hear is "change," and very little substantive anything.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:21 PM

8,814 posts, read 21,280,851 times
Remember 1972 when the extremely courtly and intelligent George McGovern won (I think) two states ??? Well, welcome back if either Hillary or Obama gets the democratic nod.

Old 01-30-2008, 04:58 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
I doubt Edwards is going to endorse either Obama or Clinton at this point. He may have VP aspirations (he'd make a great VP) so it may be to his benefit to wait until after Super Tuesday to decide who he is going to endorse.

I like Edwards but he didn't win any states. He did bring sanity to the debates.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:23 AM

2,356 posts, read 3,476,830 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexus View Post
Vote against the black candidate because he doesn't have enough experience, is not old enough, doesn't state all of his positions, doesn't support the correct position on Iraq, doesn't wear his suit correctly, might only support black causes
HUH? Am I reading this right?

Those all seem like prime reasons not to vote for a candidate:
-Candidate is inexperienced
-Candidate has vague, incomplete and misleading statements
-Candidate has bad policies
-Candidate has bad appearance
-Candidate is racist

I'm not saying that Obama is those things, but if he were, those all seem like a perfectly good reasons to not vote for him.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections