Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-17-2015, 10:55 AM

8,081 posts, read 6,959,794 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MMM05 View Post
That is Bogus BS re: "Separation of Church and State" was not, is not in the U.S. Constitution. Fact is the constitution protects the Rights of Religion.

This incorrect malicious propaganda was started by Anti-Religion types in the early 1950's.

It's a Lie from the Left.
The Free Exercise Clause allows you as a religious person to exercise your religion as you wish. This one protects your right to practice.

Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof...
https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/free_exercise_clause

The Free Establishment Clause prevents the state or state entities from establishing a religion as a part of the State. This one protects your right from a single endorsed religion as well as removing the state from religion.

Quote:
The First Amendment's Establishment Clause prohibits the government from making any law “respecting an establishment of religion.” This clause not only forbids the government from establishing an official religion, but also prohibits government actions that unduly favor one religion over another. It also prohibits the government from unduly preferring religion over non-religion, or non-religion over religion
https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/establishment_clause

Both of these clauses are contained in First Amendment you are also referencing.

The founding fathers weren't 50s era (although I think you mean 60s) liberals with an anti American agenda.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-17-2015, 11:04 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Even with that, hard core religious nuts tend to be a minority. Yes, a lot of people go to church on Sunday, but most don't seem to care how others live their lives. Still far superior to the bigotry and intolerance of so many leftist cities.
No. Sorry. Bigotry and tolerance were a big part of where I lived. HUGE. Most of the parents in my very nice, middle-class neighborhood ~ had never gone beyond third or fourth grade but the Dad's had good factory jobs. They disliked my parents because they might have a beer after yardwork. I was there when some of the last schools were integrated. It was truly ugly.

At the age of 13, I realized I would never fit in there. We were a miltary family that had lived all over the world and I was unprepared for the rigid-mindedness that prevailed (again in the RURAL south). I visted big southern cities but did not have an opportunity to live there.

That said, I would never want to live there again, though I wouldn't mind to visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Indeed. People who say this are weak minded and thus succumb to every stereotype out there. Any simple label that attempts to characterize a such a huge region, where 1/3 of the nation lives, only speaks to this.
Toyman needs to read this.

Old 10-17-2015, 11:18 AM

17,440 posts, read 28,602,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
I am a registered R and support them on the bulk of issues, but oppose them on others. Today's clown car of Dems make it impossible for me to take any of them seriously, except Jim Webb. Are there any of the R candidates that aren't overly superstitious, support abortion rights and support the separation of church and state?
Trump, Pataki, Fiorina, maybe Rand Paul (although he is a believing Christian)

Old 10-17-2015, 11:28 AM

609 posts, read 505,940 times
Maybe you do not. But watching Fox News (which is the Republican propaganda machine) consistently portraying the president as the anti-christ.
Tell me the last time a non-Christian was elected to office in the South. Non only do you have to be christian, but you almost certainly have to be some form of evangelical to win.
I like Republicans come out today and tell how religion doesn't matter to them ... but at the Republican Debate, all the candidates told us how their faith was so important to them. How the evils of the country are blamed on the non religiousness of the people involved. Just listen to Bobby Jindal and Mike Huckarbee speak ... Again, if religion wasn't so unimportant Mitt Romney wouldn't be associating with Evangelicals to try and beat Obama.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
What difference does it make? I'm agnostic, but I don't even think about what a candidates position is on religion. Didn't even care if Obama was "Muslim" or "catholic" as he tells people..
We don't elect a king.. Their religious beliefs hold absolutely no relevance to me.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:04 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,108,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
Read it again. Read it over and over until it sinks in.

The theocracy the right wing dreams of will not be coming to America short of a constitutional amendment, which isn't going to happen.
When the Constitution was written, there were NUMEROUS state sponsored churches..

What part of the Constitution should we be reading "over and over" ?

Old 10-17-2015, 12:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
The Free Exercise Clause allows you as a religious person to exercise your religion as you wish. This one protects your right to practice.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/free_exercise_clause

The Free Establishment Clause prevents the state or state entities from establishing a religion as a part of the State. This one protects your right from a single endorsed religion as well as removing the state from religion.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/establishment_clause

Both of these clauses are contained in First Amendment you are also referencing.

The founding fathers weren't 50s era (although I think you mean 60s) liberals with an anti American agenda.
The first amendment says CONGRESS, it says nothing about the states, which again, is why the states had sponsored churches at the time.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by henriInCary View Post
Maybe you do not. But watching Fox News (which is the Republican propaganda machine) consistently portraying the president as the anti-christ.
Tell me the last time a non-Christian was elected to office in the South. Non only do you have to be christian, but you almost certainly have to be some form of evangelical to win.
I like Republicans come out today and tell how religion doesn't matter to them ... but at the Republican Debate, all the candidates told us how their faith was so important to them. How the evils of the country are blamed on the non religiousness of the people involved. Just listen to Bobby Jindal and Mike Huckarbee speak ... Again, if religion wasn't so unimportant Mitt Romney wouldn't be associating with Evangelicals to try and beat Obama.
Well you are pointing out the demands of the voters to elect someone whos happens to be religious, not the candidates. There are lots of candidates not "overly" religious, and the lack of these individuals being elected, dont mean they dont exist.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
The first amendment says CONGRESS, it says nothing about the states, which again, is why the states had sponsored churches at the time.
State is a descriptive phrase for government. When the Constitution says the "State" they are referring to the federal government.

Your thinking of the states. There is a distinction.

Old 10-17-2015, 12:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
State is a descriptive phrase for government. When the Constitution says the "State" they are referring to the federal government.

Your thinking of the states. There is a distinction.
It doesnt say STATE, it says CONGRESS...

Again, the STATES DID sponsor churches at the time.. NUMEROUS of them..

Old 10-17-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
It doesnt say STATE, it says CONGRESS...

Again, the STATES DID sponsor churches at the time.. NUMEROUS of them..
But I wasn't talking about States. I was talking about The State.

Your point is correct but irrelevant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections