Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 10:40 AM
BVH

944 posts, read 605,905 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TriMT7 View Post
I guess when you're vague enough, you can get cross over support.

What happens when people start demanding specifics?
The same thing that happened at the last debate...he will stumble all over himself trying to quickly concoct some BS that sounds good, and blame his problems on Bill Clinton's "bullying" him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 10:40 AM

2,370 posts, read 7,761,075 times
While I agree wholeheartedly about the lack of specifics with Obama, he's very likely to get my crossover vote if he gets the nomination. I'm a life long Republican who has voted party line like an ignorant sheeple before. Last few years I'm really becoming much more independent. I can't stand either Romney or McCain. Neither stand for much of anything I believe in. My personal hypothesis for voting for a guy with little to no platform that he expresses is that perhaps he will be about as effective as a wet sock in Oval Office. I'd rather have 4 years of little progress towards anything, good or abd, than what the others might do to us. Maybe we'll get lucky next time around.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:52 AM
BVH

944 posts, read 605,905 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
While I agree wholeheartedly about the lack of specifics with Obama, he's very likely to get my crossover vote if he gets the nomination. I'm a life long Republican who has voted party line like an ignorant sheeple before. Last few years I'm really becoming much more independent. I can't stand either Romney or McCain. Neither stand for much of anything I believe in. My personal hypothesis for voting for a guy with little to no platform that he expresses is that perhaps he will be about as effective as a wet sock in Oval Office. I'd rather have 4 years of little progress towards anything, good or abd, than what the others might do to us. Maybe we'll get lucky next time around.
That is one thing that I really do enjoy this season: The fact that folks aren't tied down to the age-old "party line" voting. That is somewhat refreshing.

Just try and remember what happened 8 years ago when we elected somebody completely unqualified for the job and relied on a "shadow govt". It is simply not enough in this crucial day and age to vote for somebody because we like the way he looks or the way he speaks. This Country is in HUGE trouble, and we need a PROVEN leader to take the reins in January. God only knows what other messes the Moron-in-Chief will leave for President Clinton to deal with!

P.S. That is not to suggest that I believe that Obama is equally as unqualified as Bush, mind you. I have met house plants that are more qualified than Bush to be President, even AFTER he's served 7 years in the position, lol.

Old 01-31-2008, 10:55 AM

7,381 posts, read 7,693,440 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormcrow73 View Post
Not a bad analysis. However, I don't think that nothing will happen if he's elected, since he will likely have a Dem. congress that will take advantage of his naivite' and bully him into rubber-stamping their proposals, and vice-versa.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:22 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
I see. She's a bad person and unpatriotic because of her facial expressions and lack of attendance at funerals (which I can't seem to verify). Perhaps she was actually doing what she was elected to do, instead?!

http://www.senate.gov/~clinton/news/statements/record.cfm?id=235886 (broken link)

I have read countless reports of the firefighters and other first responders who have gotten the shaft, their health problems from working at the WTC not being covered. Hillary was active in trying to HELP these people. I'd rather have real support when I'm living than a bunch of sentimentality when I'm dead.

Old 01-31-2008, 11:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amaznjohn View Post
Not a bad analysis. However, I don't think that nothing will happen if he's elected, since he will likely have a Dem. congress that will take advantage of his naivite' and bully him into rubber-stamping their proposals, and vice-versa.
Very good point...

Old 01-31-2008, 01:42 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,856,573 times
I think in the end the die hard republicans and die hard democrats will vote the same old party limne . The independents will decide the election again.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:13 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
I think in the end the die hard republicans and die hard democrats will vote the same old party limne . The independents will decide the election again.
Not this gal. I'm voting for experience, after 8 years of watching a president who was not qualified for the job. If Obama's my party's (Democrat) nominee, I'll be voting for the Republican. (Or Ron Paul if he runs as an independent.)

I don't agree with any of the candidates 100 percent so there's always something I won't like that they'll support. But this is too high-stakes to give to a lightweight.

Old 01-31-2008, 02:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Not this gal. I'm voting for experience, after 8 years of watching a president who was not qualified for the job. If Obama's my party's (Democrat) nominee, I'll be voting for the Republican. (Or Ron Paul if he runs as an independent.)

I don't agree with any of the candidates 100 percent so there's always something I won't like that they'll support. But this is too high-stakes to give to a lightweight.

Experience does not equal qualified nor competent. I've worked with quite a few people with a WHOLE lot more experience who fail to provide the goods when it hits the fan and I've worked with people with less experience who can provide a whole lot more! Even if DO give Hillary some credit for her days in the White House and Governor's mansion I don't automatically see how she's more competent for the job. When she helped Bill try to reform Arkansas schools, she utterly failed to realize that things that worked in Illinois wouldn't work in Arkansas because of the distributed nature of so much of the population. She has also utterly failed at moving any of her agendas while in Congress (for which I'm thankful).

Old 01-31-2008, 03:11 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,330,946 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Yep, kinda like "Stay the Course" when nobody's actually plotted a course.

Obama's no doubt a talented orator, I wish he'd start putting a little more substance and explanation in his speeches.
I agree. Obama claims the mantle of JFK. Let's hear him challenge us as Kennedy did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections