Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-31-2008, 08:53 AM

6,884 posts, read 20,398,571 times

Advertisements

This is a question for Republicans disenchanted with the GOP candidates:

I've read in at least three different threads where members who claim to be Republicans insist they will vote for Barack Obama before they will vote for any Republican candidate.

Help me understand this, because it makes absolutely no sense. Are you all not reading this man's voting record (or, excuse me, lack thereof)? What is your motivation in making such a statement? Hate the candidates all you want, but claiming to be a Republican, and going all the way left--and I mean ALL THE WAY left...just leaves me shaking my head in confusion. The simple answer would be you can't possibly be an actual Republican, but hey, I don't know.

It is baffling. Do you just not know anything about him at all? What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 09:00 AM

2,141 posts, read 6,904,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mom2Feebs View Post
This is a question for Republicans disenchanted with the GOP candidates:

I've read in at least three different threads where members who claim to be Republicans insist they will vote for Barack Obama before they will vote for any Republican candidate.

Help me understand this, because it makes absolutely no sense. Are you all not reading this man's voting record (or, excuse me, lack thereof)? What is your motivation in making such a statement? Hate the candidates all you want, but claiming to be a Republican, and going all the way left--and I mean ALL THE WAY left...just leaves me shaking my head in confusion. The simple answer would be you can't possibly be an actual Republican, but hey, I don't know.

It is baffling. Do you just not know anything about him at all? What am I missing here?

Thanks in advance.
In five years you will still be shaking your head in confusion. Its sad but Nothing will change !

Last edited by firemed; 01-31-2008 at 09:28 AM..

Old 01-31-2008, 09:15 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,433,497 times
Quote:
The simple answer would be you can't possibly be an actual Republican, but hey, I don't know.
I think you do - Mom always knows

Old 01-31-2008, 09:20 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Can someone explain to an independent what actually constitutes being a Republican these days?

Seems to me GWB was nominated twice by the Republican Party and elected as a Republican yet I see in many threads people denying that he is a Republican. So if the Republican Party doesn't run a Republican for POTUS ???

Old 01-31-2008, 09:24 AM

266 posts, read 1,333,267 times
Quite strange, I agree. And THANK YOU! for posting a link; I'm getting fairly wary of people posting questionable facts without citations, which technically amounts to plagiarism (not saying your post is questionable in the least, but the same can't be said for most of the people posting on this section of CD).

Old 01-31-2008, 09:34 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,151,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Can someone explain to an independent what actually constitutes being a Republican these days?

Seems to me GWB was nominated twice by the Republican Party and elected as a Republican yet I see in many threads people denying that he is a Republican. So if the Republican Party doesn't run a Republican for POTUS ???
My take:

In 2000, Bush ran on an humble foreign policy that included no nationbuilding. He ran on a platform of lower taxes and decreased spending. He even talked about smaller government at the federal level. His administration has done the exact opposite all based on fear created by 19 hijackers and a weak stateside national defense.

The answer to the terrorism problem was more government, more violation of the constitution, and more spending in the name of security. We haven't been attacked at home since 2001, but I can't say I believe that the Dept of Homeland security is the reason. Osama has said several times in his writings and his video/audio releases that his goal is to bankrupt the USA much the way we, with Reagan's help, bankrupted the USSR.

I see that's where we are heading as a nation. Almost all of the GOP candidates have a little conservatism left. McCain on social issues, Romney on spending issues, Huckabee on moral/ethical issues, and Paul on national defense issues.

The GOP has no true leader in this race and will most likely lose by a wide margin in the general election. It's like 1976 all over again this year. The Democrats will take the White House, they'll spend us into oblivion continuing Bush's war and creating more spending programs since FDR. In 2012, a true conservative may have an opportunity to stop the growth of government, but I often feel that it's too late.

That's my take on it. Some may disagree, especially McCain and Romney supporters.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:37 AM

17,291 posts, read 29,389,796 times
Fake Republicans.

Obama is now the furthest left candidate (besides Kucinich) in the field. No candidate who is for traditional Republican values would dare vote for Obama for any rational (read: policy based reasons).

Moderate Republicans? Maaaaybe. If they were the type of kids easily moved by pep rallies in High School.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:37 AM

1,833 posts, read 6,424,688 times
Why anyone can claim this guy has experience is beyond me, he doesn't even have a stance so how can they say he has good judgment when he rarely votes. He is all talk and no action, no judgment, no experience and few votes. It's comical.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:42 AM

68,326 posts, read 54,344,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
My take:

In 2000, Bush ran on an humble foreign policy that included no nationbuilding. He ran on a platform of lower taxes and decreased spending. He even talked about smaller government at the federal level. His administration has done the exact opposite all based on fear created by 19 hijackers and a weak stateside national defense.

The lower taxes platform from any politician from any party is something I have a difficult time swallowing.

Great idea but..................government's composed of people, these people work and like most they expect to get paid and receive raises, the population expects a certain level of services from the government, the cost of those services is sure to rise, the cost of technology(as in defense) rises, it's necessary. I just don't understand why I should believe my cost is going to be less for more services?

Taxes don't bother me as much as the return on that investment, that's what I consider a major issue.

Old 01-31-2008, 09:45 AM

7,730 posts, read 14,151,834 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
The lower taxes platform from any politician from any party is something I have a difficult time swallowing.

Great idea but..................government's composed of people, these people work and like most they expect to get paid and receive raises, the population expects a certain level of services from the government, the cost of those services is sure to rise, the cost of technology(as in defense) rises, it's necessary. I just don't understand why I should believe my cost is going to be less for more services?

Taxes don't bother as much as the return on that investment, that's what I consider a major issue.
The population has decided that the government should give them more at the federal level. That's not what was intended by the founding fathers. We should have strong state governments that do the will of the people with a weaker federal government that provides security and deals with international issues. The Federal government, based on the 10th amendment, should have very little power over our daily lives.

But I understand where you're coming from. Benjamin Franklin did too. He told us (paraphrased) that once the people realize they can vote themselves the treasury, the Republic will be lost. And so it goes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections