Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Hillary Clinton Pick Bill Clinton as her Running Mate
Yes 7 17.07%
No 32 78.05%
Who are these people? 2 4.88%
Voters: 41. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 11:00 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
12th Amendment:

"The Electors shall meet in their respective states, and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves"
If that were the case, Bush and Cheney, who both were residents of Texas in 2000, could not have been on the same ticket.

Actually, that ticket was challenged, which is why Cheney changed his legal residency back to Wyoming.

[URL="http://www.snopes.com/history/american/vicepresident.asp"]Source[/URL]

However, I do agree that Bill cannot be Vice President. Anyway, the controversy it would cause would be too distracting and hurt Hillary's campaign.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 11:17 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,929,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Just you wait, she will either go for the kids wanting Sanders for the youth vote or Castro for the Hispanic vote.

Sanders pretty much endorsed Clinton during the debate anyways, so I wouldn't be surprised. Notice Sanders never says anything bad about Clinton or even calls her out for anything. He wants that VP position because he knows he has no chance otherwise to make a difference.
Actually, Bernie Sanders has never run a negative campaign. However, he does attack the issues with vigor. I lean more toward Hillary, however, although they're both a little too liberal for me, but there are no Republicans I can support in good conscience.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:29 PM

2,886 posts, read 5,822,462 times
There is no federal law that prevents this country from having a President and Vice President from the same state. The electors from that state simply can't vote for both the President and Vice President. There is obviously more to it but I can't remember it all in depth. With that said, it is still possible to have a President and Vice President from the same state.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:49 PM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Actually, Bernie Sanders has never run a negative campaign. However, he does attack the issues with vigor. I lean more toward Hillary, however, although they're both a little too liberal for me, but there are no Republicans I can support in good conscience.
I support Hillary too.

I hate the lack of details by Sanders, he does attack the issues, but what good does that do without substance? He makes Trump seem like the most detailed orientated candidate in the entire election.

Sanders, "WE HAVE A PROBLEM! THE WEALTHY ARE GETTING MORE WEALTHY! WE NEED A REVOLUTION! MILLIONS OF PEOPLE IN THE STREETS! WE NEED TO DO SOMETHING!"

Old 10-22-2015, 11:50 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,615,791 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Yes, but you see, that's Waldo's plan. He knows that Republicans cannot win the White House, so this will ensure that Paul Ryan would be the next POTUS should anything happen to Hillary. Mick
There you go again. Talking about me instead of topic.

Old 10-22-2015, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
she cannot pick bill as her running mate for two reasons;

1: bill is constitutionally prevented from being president again, and since the vice president is essentially a heartbeat away from the presidency, bill is automatically out. the only way he could be vice president is if there was two years left in the presidents term of office, and he was appointed as VP for that two years.

2: federal law prevents the president and vice president from being from the same state, and since the clintons both live in new york, they again would be prevented from being running mates.
  1. Are you sure? The amendment says he can't be elected president. He won't be elected president. Nor does it prevent one from assuming the office of the president.
  2. Federal law can't trump the Constitution. That law, if it exists, would be placing an additional requirement on who can or can't be president.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
12th Amendment:

"The Electors shall meet in their respective states, and vote by ballot for President and Vice-President, one of whom, at least, shall not be an inhabitant of the same state with themselves"
In this specific case, it would only apply to the electors from NY. Not all electors.

Old 10-23-2015, 12:16 AM

13,778 posts, read 9,660,467 times
Picking VPs is all about electoral politics. What individual will bring the most electoral votes to the election. If she can find an individual who motivates the democrats and independents in Florida, a swing state, or Pennsylvania, or Ohio, she'll go there.
She doesn't need to nominate Bill, she's already married to him. He can come and go out the back door of the white house as he pleases and help her decide policy at the same time.

Old 10-23-2015, 01:13 AM

24,396 posts, read 26,946,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Picking VPs is all about electoral politics. What individual will bring the most electoral votes to the election. If she can find an individual who motivates the democrats and independents in Florida, a swing state, or Pennsylvania, or Ohio, she'll go there.
She doesn't need to nominate Bill, she's already married to him. He can come and go out the back door of the white house as he pleases and help her decide policy at the same time.
Not exactly... McCain picked Palin who was from Alaska, a state that always votes for the Conservative and is worth a few points.

Picking VPs is all about votes. McCain picked Palin because of all the upset women/Clinton supporters. My guess is Clinton will choose an Hispanic because she wants the Hispanic vote or maybe Sanders because she wants the youth vote, but more likely she would choose Castro.

Old 10-23-2015, 09:57 AM

1,720 posts, read 1,304,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw335xi View Post
Just you wait, she will either go for the kids wanting Sanders for the youth vote or Castro for the Hispanic vote.

Sanders pretty much endorsed Clinton during the debate anyways, so I wouldn't be surprised. Notice Sanders never says anything bad about Clinton or even calls her out for anything. He wants that VP position because he knows he has no chance otherwise to make a difference.
The Dems -Hilary in particular- are more about the long-game: That is, long-term electoral success. She knows one of the keys to long-term success is attracting Hispanics and younger voters. Virtually all the young Sanders supporters will vote for Hilary, albeit begrudgingly, so he would bring few political upsides.

Castro or maybe Booker (more of a long-shot I think) would do far more both in terms her chances of winning in 2016 and long-term Democratic success. Bernie wouldn't generate nearly as much enthusiasm as Castro.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections