Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2015, 12:14 PM

39,228 posts, read 27,603,964 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikMal View Post
I've been saying for years that the media controls the elections. There is no appearance of bias-free news. They give air time to their favorite(s) and ignore others or exaggerate non-stories. One of the earliest example I can think of was the sinking of Michael Dukakis' campaign after they repeatedly beat upon the episode where he was riding in a U.S. Army tank wearing the tanker's helmet. Another is the infamous Howard Dean yell; they showed it over and over and over until the country was convinced he was a fool. Whether you liked either of those two candidates or not, those were not reasons worthy of sinking their candidacies.

After the last GOP debate Carly Fiorina shot up in the poll numbers. Outside of the run-in with Planned Parenthood at an event, the media has been silent on her. Do they see her, as another women, as a threat to Hillary's election?, Is it their way of killing off a viable opponent by simply making her go away by means of no exposure? It seems people across the political spectrum are disgusted with the Supreme Court decision on Citizens United. It looks like the uber-rich and the media elites (who themselves are uber-rich) have too much control of the exposure and content of candidates. Are everyday, plain folks just as well disgusted by the medias' promotion or lack of equal reporting on all candidates or has everyone just given up on the who process ever being fair? I know I am (disgusted); I just don't know what can be done about it.
Not sure. I think the media is silent on Fiorina because let's face it, she is no longer newsworthy. She's republican party's flavor of the month, and now she is not making any progress.

Hillary, like her or hate her, she is a valuable asset for the donkeys. I doubt Fiorina is a real threat to Hillary. Neither is president material to me. But Hillary is a lot more newsworthy.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2015, 12:21 PM

24,407 posts, read 26,956,157 times
Anyone who think Fiorina has a chance or is a threat is so out of touch with the average American. There is no way a person like Fiorina has any chance on winning a general election.

Old 10-26-2015, 12:54 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,749,968 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
I agree. It was perfectly delivered, and I pictured millions of American women across the country standing up and cheering in that moment. On that one point, I gave Fiorina props.

And that's where it ended.
Yup, we've all been there. Repeatedly.

Doesn't matter what our politics are.

Old 10-26-2015, 01:33 PM

1,290 posts, read 2,040,652 times
Her being so fired up about the fake PPH video did her in. Not to mention her terrible corporate business records.

Old 10-27-2015, 07:12 PM

37,803 posts, read 41,013,481 times
Quote:
I've been saying for years that the media controls the elections. There is no appearance of bias-free news. They give air time to their favorite(s) and ignore others or exaggerate non-stories. One of the earliest example I can think of was the sinking of Michael Dukakis' campaign after they repeatedly beat upon the episode where he was riding in a U.S. Army tank wearing the tanker's helmet. Another is the infamous Howard Dean yell; they showed it over and over and over until the country was convinced he was a fool. Whether you liked either of those two candidates or not, those were not reasons worthy of sinking their candidacies.
I thought the Dean scream was very Tarzan right before he swings on a vine. Unfortunately for Dean, a lot of the young wussy whippersnappers didn't know and love Tarzan like us oldies, so they saw it as a psycho outburst rather than the King of The Jungle yell Dean was obviously going for. Dukakis violated the political candidate unwritten hat rule and I suppose that showed he would probably show just as much disregard for the US Constitution.

Old 10-27-2015, 08:41 PM

2,540 posts, read 3,734,968 times
Quote:
True. But the plain folks can't afford to take out ads like the uber-rich can by the creation of PACs.
Trump spent the least amount of money in ads compared to the others yet received the most media coverage. He didn't need to spend much money on ads because he's very good at manipulating media and TV ratings. The media cover him because he brings ratings, not because they love him or want him to win.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:25 AM

29,218 posts, read 22,365,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
You sure about that? Hillary, Bernie and all the rest of the career politicians have never done anything productive in their lives. She may be a mediocre CEO, but that still is a lot more than can be said about the rest.
Firing 30,000 employees and nearly driving Hewlett-Packard, one of the world's largest tech innovators and a huge American company, close to bankruptcy in less than 2 years can hardly be called "productive". The vast majority of those jobs left the United States and never came back.

She was not a mediocre CEO. She was a disastrously unfit CEO who was hired over the objections of the Hewlett family. If H-P had lacked such knowing family leadership, it would now be called Ching Lee Electronics or something similar.

It was only when the Hewletts seized control back and promptly fired Fiorina that H-P began to rebound. She was so bad corporate history has few other examples who were not criminals.That is the best that can be said about her.

Old 10-28-2015, 06:34 AM

23,559 posts, read 17,227,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ringo1 View Post
Right now her poll numbers are non-existent which is why the media is no longer talking about her.

There is no shortage of press on Trump or Cason though.
the media controls elections and politics. the media is this administrations propaganda machine.

Used to be a time when journalists dove into the candidates platforms and compared them independantly. Now the media thinks its entertainment tonight and keeps telling the Jeb guy, hey did you hear what donny said about you ...are you going to take that? the media is providing the entertainment, not donny. Jeb is so easily distracted.

they joust with repubs highlighting the non issues and let HRC coast.

Carly is a victim of the dems/media war on women. Can't have carly on the same stage as HRC because she would eviscerate HRC.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:24 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,527,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kracer View Post
the media controls elections and politics. the media is this administrations propaganda machine.

Used to be a time when journalists dove into the candidates platforms and compared them independantly. Now the media thinks its entertainment tonight and keeps telling the Jeb guy, hey did you hear what donny said about you ...are you going to take that? the media is providing the entertainment, not donny. Jeb is so easily distracted.

they joust with repubs highlighting the non issues and let HRC coast.

Carly is a victim of the dems/media war on women. Can't have carly on the same stage as HRC because she would eviscerate HRC.
Hardly.

You know, no matter how many times you say the 'Dems war on women' ~ no one but you believes it.

Bottom line, that 'liberal' media is busy promoting TRUMP and CARSON.

Old 10-28-2015, 07:35 AM

28,670 posts, read 18,788,917 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
You sure about that? Hillary, Bernie and all the rest of the career politicians have never done anything productive in their lives. She may be a mediocre CEO, but that still is a lot more than can be said about the rest.
That's the problem with having a record. A record of mediocrity is worse than no record at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections