Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2015, 12:28 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonF View Post
This is nothing more than a repeat of the last election when we had nutters and unqualified hacks like Bachmann and Cain leading in the polls.

This is the new normal for the GOP - the insane base comes along and backs the nut of the week, then the adults swoop in and stop the party from choosing someone who will lose every state outside the deep south.
you'd think the righties would learn......

they always find a way to lose the independent voter like myself by supporting the whack jobs......

better candidates like Christie, Bush, Kasich are there with executive experience......

Last edited by BucFan; 10-27-2015 at 01:07 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2015, 12:34 PM

13,684 posts, read 9,007,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There have been a few polls out the last couple days showing Carson edging out Trump in Iowa, but this is the first I have seen of him doing it on a national scale. It looks like the Republican love affair with the TV star turned candidate could be coming to an end. I admit to being shocked that the new leader is someone even less qualified than Trump, but this is the Republican primary where these sort of things do happen historically. This will be a good test of Trump's commitment. How will he react to being second? Will he is part with his money to put ads out there?

Election 2016: CBS/NYT Poll: Ben Carson edges out Donald Trump - CBS News

Polls are funny things:

Poll: Trump leads Carson by 14 points nationwide | TheHill

Old 10-27-2015, 12:45 PM

366 posts, read 1,016,936 times
I think Carson will stick around for a while but will begin to fade once the field narrows to about 5 people. I think it'll narrow to these 5: Trump, Carson, Rubio, Bush, Cruz. Cruz only sticks around to the final 3 or 4 if his plan to not attack Trump and wait till he crashes and burns works (I don't think it will). So this leaves Trump, Carson, Bush and Rubio. Once we are down to 4 candidates with the debates being more substantive and less about soundbites, Carson's lack of knowledge in both economic and foreign policy arenas will be a problem (he clearly does not understand the debt ceiling). If by some chance Carson becomes the nominee for Republicans, he will have a tough time debating Hillary who is far more skilled in this arena. Evangelical social conservatives will stick with him, but he loses solidly to Clinton. Trump is the only candidate who I believe can get away with being weak on policy knowledge (his supporters just don't care) and win the nomination. The question for Trump is will his supporters (many of which do not regularly vote) actually turn out on election day? Bush is still fighting Rubio for the establishment lane and I think even though he has more money than Rubio at this point, he's going to lose that battle. I think it'll come down to Rubio and Trump. If Republicans want to win they should nominate Rubio and possibly put Kasich on the ticket as VP. Coming from the other side of the aisle I don't want to see that happen, but that would be a difficult match up for Clinton.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:49 PM

4,231 posts, read 3,557,851 times
Polls right now are totally bogus.

I'd like to see them after herd is thinned.

In the end i think Donald will manage to wrap this up

Old 10-27-2015, 12:58 PM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
There have been a few polls out the last couple days showing Carson edging out Trump in Iowa, but this is the first I have seen of him doing it on a national scale. It looks like the Republican love affair with the TV star turned candidate could be coming to an end. I admit to being shocked that the new leader is someone even less qualified than Trump, but this is the Republican primary where these sort of things do happen historically. This will be a good test of Trump's commitment. How will he react to being second? Will he is part with his money to put ads out there?

Election 2016: CBS/NYT Poll: Ben Carson edges out Donald Trump - CBS News
Well if he goes all the way down to the third paragraph from the end he will see an almost unheard of high +/- 7% margin of error for Registered Republican Voters and a high +/- 6% margin of error for voters that self identify as likely primary voters so he should keep his cool about this poll and spend time preparing for the debate.

Old 10-27-2015, 12:58 PM

6,230 posts, read 3,608,104 times
Carson will lose ground with more debates and more media exposure as he mutters about stabbing people as a teenager, wanting to abolish entitlements that the majority of Americans are in favor of, and just bumbling through foreign policy.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:09 PM

4,814 posts, read 3,843,937 times
How can this poll have a MOE of:

4% +/-
6% +/-
7% +/-

and come across as credible?

The last ABC poll was pretty bogus:
Donald Trump Leads in Expectations, Shows Strength on Attributes (POLL) - ABC News

Breaking it down:

It is heavily weighted towards the Democrats, although this is a Republican Primary.
  1. The poll is showing 1001 adults
  2. We don't know the ages
  3. Using landlines and cellular
  4. 423 "Lean" Republican.

What does "Lean" Republican mean? It means they are not "registered" Republicans!

So the poll is bogus:

30% Democrats
24% "LEAN" Republicans
39% Independents

69% WERE NOT Republicans!!

Also notice the margin of error increases when "Lean" Republicans are included - 3.5 for full and 5.5 on "leaned" Republicans. If they wanted an HONEST poll, they would be calling REGISTERED REPUBLICANS.

Last edited by Pressing-On; 10-27-2015 at 02:22 PM..

Old 10-27-2015, 01:10 PM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,324 times
Rand Paul soon enough will be top 3. :-) I have faith they can see substance and reality for just another Rich person looking to tell you how you bought and paid for the government votes.

Old 10-27-2015, 01:11 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,431,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaphawoman View Post
Carson will lose ground with more debates and more media exposure as he mutters about stabbing people as a teenager, wanting to abolish entitlements that the majority of Americans are in favor of, and just bumbling through foreign policy.
Good points. He really has been botching the health care policy that he's been proposing.......doesn't even sound like he understands it himself. Keep hearing that he's a brilliant surgeon so he of all people should understand how a national health care program should work. But he doesn't.

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/28/up...sing.html?_r=0

Old 10-27-2015, 01:20 PM

13,898 posts, read 6,443,819 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
What has happened to the party of Lincoln where the two top candidates are completely unsuited for the presidency?
Surely you jest. Look at Hillary, a liar and criminal and she is the front runner of the DNC, next up is an old Red Commie. What happened to the party of JFK?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections