Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will you vote for Ben Carson?
Yes - he's awesome! 28 32.94%
No - he'd be the worst President ever! 57 67.06%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 02:08 PM

18,983 posts, read 9,075,608 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
It's impossible to argue rationally from a place of downright hypocrisy.

Will you vote for Ben Carson?
Yes - he's awesome!
No - he'd be the worst President ever!

The fact that these are the only two choices in this so-called "poll" is laughable.
As opposed to the Hillary Clinton poll a few threads down?

Will you vote for Hillary Clinton?
Yes, she is completely and totally amazing!
No, she would be an absolute and total failure!

Hmm, were you whining about there being only two choices there? Why no, you were not. Here's what you had to say there:

Quote:
OKay... here's a plain HELL NO
Oops!

Old 10-30-2015, 02:12 PM

366 posts, read 1,017,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
I didn't vote in the poll even though I don't want Carson as President, because I don't believe he'd be the worst one ever, not with ones like LBJ, Carter, Bush 41, Clinton, Bush 43, and now with the worst of them all Obama in the WH - and those are just the bad ones we've had during my lifetime.

Ben Carson brings a lot of good to the table, but he makes the same mistakes other Republicans make, demonizing Social Security, Medicare, food assistance, etc., while at the same time rambling on about how our corporate taxes are the highest among the industrialized world, while skipping over the fact tax credits and deductions mean most large companies and corporations pay very low taxes and sometimes pay nothing or have a negative tax obligation (meaning they actually receive money from the government). Until they stop trying to please their big money donors and doing their bidding at the expense of the rest of us, I wont vote for them anymore. I'm an independent voter who almost always votes Republican, but they've lost me. A good test is to ask them if they'd be ok with a reduction in business taxes down to 25% if all credits and deductions were taken away. Guarantee you they'd say no, that you can't get rid of all credits and deductions. The businesses that end up paying the price for that are the small and mid sized companies that might not be able to take advantage of many credits or deductions.

Unfortunately, while Carson can play the outsider he talks too much like an insider.

While I don't necessarily agree with your views on who is the worst president (I'd have to think about it but might choose someone much further back in our history), I'm in agreement with your comments about the business tax rate.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:16 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioJB View Post
I didn't vote in the poll even though I don't want Carson as President, because I don't believe he'd be the worst one ever, not with ones like LBJ, Carter, Bush 41, Clinton, Bush 43, and now with the worst of them all Obama in the WH - and those are just the bad ones we've had during my lifetime.

Ben Carson brings a lot of good to the table, but he makes the same mistakes other Republicans make, demonizing Social Security, Medicare, food assistance, etc., while at the same time rambling on about how our corporate taxes are the highest among the industrialized world, while skipping over the fact tax credits and deductions mean most large companies and corporations pay very low taxes and sometimes pay nothing or have a negative tax obligation (meaning they actually receive money from the government). Until they stop trying to please their big money donors and doing their bidding at the expense of the rest of us, I wont vote for them anymore. I'm an independent voter who almost always votes Republican, but they've lost me. A good test is to ask them if they'd be ok with a reduction in business taxes down to 25% if all credits and deductions were taken away. Guarantee you they'd say no, that you can't get rid of all credits and deductions. The businesses that end up paying the price for that are the small and mid sized companies that might not be able to take advantage of many credits or deductions.

Unfortunately, while Carson can play the outsider he talks too much like an insider.
In actuality, he must talk like an insider. He's damned if he doesn't, and damned if he does.

We'd be far better off with Paul, but I'd settle for Rubio. Whoever the right choose to go up against Hillary MUST be a strong Constitutionalist and defend states rights. I don't see anyone else promoting these things like those two.

Trump - talk about putting the fox in charge of the hens

Christie - is just plain scary, in a McCarhty'esque way.

Bush - He is nothing like his family when it comes to campaigning. Who told him to say "I have better things to do"? OMG!

Fiorina - She would be a hell of a lot better than Clinton in every way. She is probably the best versed and smartest candidate on either side.

...the rest just need to fall off the clown cart and let the adults take over.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:25 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,788,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
As opposed to the Hillary Clinton poll a few threads down?

Will you vote for Hillary Clinton?
Yes, she is completely and totally amazing!
No, she would be an absolute and total failure!

Hmm, were you whining about there being only two choices there? Why no, you were not. Here's what you had to say there:

Oops!
Oops?

Originally Posted by ProudVietnamVeteran
A plain 'No' is a good enough answer

Typical... what you didn't include was who I was responding to. As soon as someone TELLS ME how to answer, I make it a point to not follow the command.

Tell me, do you think Clinton is completely and totally amazing? You would be part of a minority of zealous nuts if you do. I doubt there are many on the right who would claim that Carson is either "awesome!" or that "he'd be the worst President ever!" So, in reality, both of these polls are just as silly and meaningless as the other.

How is it that you miss points so relentlessly?

Last edited by steven_h; 10-30-2015 at 02:33 PM..

Old 10-30-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Oops?

Originally Posted by ProudVietnamVeteran
A plain 'No' is a good enough answer

Typical... what you didn't include was who I was responding to. As soon as someone TELLS ME how to answer, I make it a point to not follow the command.

That poll is just as silly and meaningless as this one. How is that you miss the points so relentlessly?
LOL. I didn't miss the point. Who you were responding to has no bearing on anything. You're whining about how unfair it is that this poll only has two choices, but you happily jumped into that other thread and forcefully expressed your opinion, never complaining about the fact that it also only had two choices.

You can equivocate all you like, but your words belie your whining here.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:33 PM

2,920 posts, read 1,985,284 times
Quote:
In actuality, he must talk like an insider. He's damned if he doesn't, and damned if he does.

We'd be far better off with Paul, but I'd settle for Rubio. Whoever the right choose to go up against Hillary MUST be a strong Constitutionalist and defend states rights. I don't see anyone else promoting these things like those two.

Bush - He is nothing like his family when it comes to campaigning. Who told him to say "I have better things to do"? OMG!

Fiorina - She would be a hell of a lot better than Clinton in every way. She is probably the best versed and smartest candidate on either side.

Rubio I imagine will be towards the top of the list of potential VP possibilities, but I don't see him winning the nomination to run for president. His views on illegal immigration hurt him too much. Plus, I honestly believe some will think he looks way too young to vote for, even though he's a little older than he looks.

Trump I don't trust but he knows what to talk about to attract voters' attention. Just don't believe he means what he says.

Paul I'm sure you realize is unlikely to get the nomination. I understand his appeal to some people, but don't believe he has a snowball's chance in h***.

Would be interesting to see who Carson would pick as his VP running mate if he won the nomination. Wont happen, but would be interesting to see how it played out.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:39 PM

2,920 posts, read 1,985,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zooropa View Post
While I don't necessarily agree with your views on who is the worst president (I'd have to think about it but might choose someone much further back in our history), I'm in agreement with your comments about the business tax rate.
I may have gone a little overboard with those I named as potential worst presidents, if I thought more thoroughly about it I'd probably say it was between LBJ and Obama as far as during my lifetime, and possibly of all time. I'm far from a presidential historian, but off the top of my head I don't know of any worse I've read about or watched documentaries of.

Old 10-30-2015, 02:42 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,897,671 times
Nope, the guy is a mouth breathing conservative.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:37 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times
Quote:

All you really have to do is take all of these candidates and plop them down in Hillary's seat in the Benghazi hearing -- and then figure out which of them would do as well or better than Hillary under 11 hours of hostile questioning.

Frankly, I don't think most of them would hold up at all. I don't even think they could handle a couple of hours of that.

Old 10-30-2015, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
All you really have to do is take all of these candidates and plop them down in Hillary's seat in the Benghazi hearing -- and then figure out which of them would do as well or better than Hillary under 11 hours of hostile questioning.

Frankly, I don't think most of them would hold up at all. I don't even think they could handle a couple of hours of that.
Which is what makes all this right wing whining about how mean the CNBC moderators were to the GOP candidates even more pathetic. I don't think a single one of them could have lasted one hour, let alone 11.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections