U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 08:28 AM

34,586 posts, read 33,570,813 times

Advertisements

I have a question for parents since I'm guessing they know the most about it. If we wanted to protest the CNBC Republican debate, can we block their channel?

I don't know if all channels have the potential for blocking or just some of them since I don't have kids and never used the feature.

And if the channel is blocked, does anyone know if feedback is sent by the cable company to the network in the form of statistics (Example: 10 people have the channel, 7 of those people block the channel)because I have to figure advertisers would want to know how many subscribers (meaning you have the potential to see the channel) are not seeing their ads? It would only be worth doing it if the advertisers find out. It has to be easier to do than getting people to write letters/e-mails to the advertisers.

Old 10-30-2015, 08:39 AM

11,758 posts, read 5,521,988 times
Typically, you can block any channel through the parental control feature of the cable box. But that often means that you cannot watch the blocked channels without a code. I am sure no feedback would be sent to the cable company as a result of blocking, because the channel is still accessible with the code. But I could be wrong.

To be fair, wouldn't you also have to block Fox News Channel and CNN, which were just as bad as, if not worse than, CNBC?

Mick

Old 10-30-2015, 09:00 AM

13,825 posts, read 12,575,052 times
Send a letter to each advertiser telling them that you will no longer be buying their products. Television stations don't care about viewers, they care about advertisers.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:13 AM

998 posts, read 544,875 times
CNBC hardly has any viewers to begin with. That's just how they operate, so I don't think they're going to care. I mean, I get how you feel. The moderators were awful, and they totally deserve all the vitriol. But you need to understand, it's all about ratings. CNBC and other networks realize that conservatives will watch no matter what, and they also need to have the DB liberal announcers to satisfy liberal viewers. It's all theater, and it generates viewers, which translates to ad revenue. Is it so hard to understand?

The left, on the other hand, realizes that the right isn't going to watch their debates, because it makes them physically ill to watch a bunch of commie pinkos talk about increasing their taxes to give out more free "goodies". Maybe they're missing an opportunity though. I would like to see a liberal debate moderated by Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter and Bill O'Reilly. Maybe some day.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:19 AM

39,109 posts, read 20,243,833 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PuddingPops View Post
CNBC hardly has any viewers to begin with. That's just how they operate, so I don't think they're going to care. I mean, I get how you feel. The moderators were awful, and they totally deserve all the vitriol. But you need to understand, it's all about ratings. CNBC and other networks realize that conservatives will watch no matter what, and they also need to have the DB liberal announcers to satisfy liberal viewers. It's all theater, and it generates viewers, which translates to ad revenue. Is it so hard to understand?

The left, on the other hand, realizes that the right isn't going to watch their debates, because it makes them physically ill to watch a bunch of commie pinkos talk about increasing their taxes to give out more free "goodies". Maybe they're missing an opportunity though. I would like to see a liberal debate moderated by Rush Limbaugh, Ann Coulter and Bill O'Reilly. Maybe some day.
To be fair, I watched the Democrat debate. It should have been called the Hillary Fawning Show. It gave me the feeling that the others were "warned" not to challenge Hillary. I've learned that yes in fact Hillary is a woman and she thinks we should vote for her based on that and some will and yes, they talked about how they would give free stuff.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:19 AM

8,071 posts, read 5,368,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
why block a channel that you previously admitted you never watched before? Guess you can protest by canceling your cable altogether......doubt if it would do much good because CNBC is a staple of business news coverage - has been for a long, long time.

Do You Even Know Where CNBC Is On Your TV Channels?
Exactly.

Disingenuous much? Now she wants to pretend she watched the channel before and wants to put pressure on a channel that she has never watched and that is NEVER gonna watch anyway?

Maybe I should start contacting all the advertisers in all the channels I don't watch, I'll tell the Home Shopping Network that unless the sell Pataki's products I am not watching their channel. I'll also contact the History Channel's advertisers and tell them that unless they force the History channel to make a documentary about Chafee's great political career I will stop buying their products.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:35 AM

15,299 posts, read 17,492,672 times
During weekdays when the stock market is open, CNBC is the best channel to watch if you want to keep up with the stock market and wall street updates.

Evenings their big show is Mad Money which is focused on the stock market.

Their stars are Maria Bartiromo and the Mad Money guy - Jim Cramer. Their focus is Wall Street and not politics. Although Maria is a righty and doesn't hide it.

I guess you don't trade stocks or invest much if you don't know anything about CNBC. It's sometimes like watching the Wall Street Journal on TV as far as the types of interviews with CEOs and such and discussions about companies and business/stock market. Pretty interesting stuff about corporations, sectors and the global economy too. The only time they talk about politics or government, usually, is when the feds are planning to meet to discuss interest rates, or when something in politics is expected to have an impact on the start market or a sector which might cause the market to make a large swing up or down (e.g defense contracts due to war or troop increases could cause upswing in defense sector).

Old 10-30-2015, 09:41 AM

1,316 posts, read 1,177,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
During weekdays when the stock market is open, CNBC is the best channel to watch if you want to keep up with the stock market and wall street updates.

Evenings their big show is Mad Money which is focused on the stock market.

Their stars are Maria Bartiromo and the Mad Money guy - Jim Cramer. Their focus is Wall Street and not politics. Although Maria is a righty and doesn't hide it.

I guess you don't trade stocks or invest much if you don't know anything about CNBC. It's sometimes like watching the Wall Street Journal on TV as far as the types of interviews with CEOs and such and discussions about companies and business/stock market. Pretty interesting stuff about corporations, sectors and the global economy too. The only time they talk about politics or government, usually, is when the feds are planning to meet to discuss interest rates, or when something in politics is expected to have an impact on the start market or a sector which might cause the market to make a large swing up or down (e.g defense contracts due to war or troop increases could cause upswing in defense sector).
I think Maria Bartiromo is at Fox business now....

Old 10-30-2015, 09:44 AM

34,586 posts, read 33,570,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Typically, you can block any channel through the parental control feature of the cable box. But that often means that you cannot watch the blocked channels without a code. I am sure no feedback would be sent to the cable company as a result of blocking, because the channel is still accessible with the code. But I could be wrong.

To be fair, wouldn't you also have to block Fox News Channel and CNN, which were just as bad as, if not worse than, CNBC?

Mick
I watch Greta's show, Harris Faulkner's 7PM weekend show (love her panel) and Howard Kurtz's Media Buzz Sunday show, regularly on Fox. I watch Hannity during the Election cycle. I watch O'Reilly at 11PM. I occasionally watch Bret Baier's show while I eat dinner. I dip into Anderson Cooper and Don Lemon's CNN show while I'm watching regular TV in primetime because CNN is good with covering Trump even if I don't like what they say. I also like CNN's and Fox News' specials/documentaries. I watch CNN on Election Night because their graphics are better and it's easier for me to read their screen as the votes are reported. So, I wouldn't block CNN or Fox News.

Old 10-30-2015, 09:47 AM

7,465 posts, read 3,944,469 times
So I haven't watched any of the debates, so I really can't compare the performance of the moderators. I do tend to watch CNBC, at least when the markers are open.

On the whole CNBC is pretty much apolitical. If anything they lean right. They do air pretty much daily rants from Rick Santelli.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEZB4taSEoA
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or