U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2015, 04:32 PM

4,881 posts, read 2,356,780 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
So...you can't name a Republican candidate that can win 51% of the vote to be president? Got it.*

*Are you really posting for...rep points? I post in the geographical forums, i.e. Seattle and WA. Not much controversy there, but by all means carry on.

Really don't care where you post - just making an observation that you and your views are not to popular - but then if they had some substance.....

And as stated - it's too early in the race to name a candidate - I do know despite what the RNC and the DNC want - most Americans are not drinking the Kool Aid like they did with Obama and I see neither Hillary or Bernie getting 51% of the vote - do you - now be serious!

Old 10-30-2015, 04:33 PM

8,143 posts, read 9,586,147 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
The issue is WHY are any presidential debates moderated by members of the press? Why are the moderators not selected from other places or have non-partisan moderators ask the questions and then the networks just broadcast the debates. Why do you see that as problem?
Unlike the OP's response to my post (#99) at least yours can be followed, to your question. I don't have an issue with a debate being run by academics or others that can maintain a neutral posture. I do have a problem with every village idiot polling at 10 votes or more being included, I have an issue where the candidates fail to answer the question and ramble on over the allotted time to repeat their same sound bites. If the candidates want a respectful debate then they need to start acting like adults and follow the rules of the event.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:34 PM

18,175 posts, read 11,153,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xray731 View Post
This is how todays Democrats differ from the old time Democrat of which I consider myself.

What It Means to Be a Democrat:[CENTER]Support Freedom of Speech[/CENTER]
The right for people to express their beliefs and advocate their ideas is paramount in a democracy. Though as unique people, we will find some ideas repugnant, but the First Amendment is vital to the free exchange of ideas and should never be violated.

We may differ but you have the right to express your belief without being ridiculed. But in the long run - they're just making themselves look bad as they throw around terms like racist every chance they get at a Republican and yet they are the ones who are unyielding when it comes to opposing opinions.
Has the Republican party reached the point where Republicans are now pretending to be "old timey Democrats"? That's new. The GOP owns the Tea Party, it's all yours.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:35 PM

5,382 posts, read 2,198,432 times
Quote:
So...you can't name a Republican candidate that can win 51% of the vote to be president? Got it.*

*Are you really posting for...rep points? I post in the geographical forums, i.e. Seattle and WA. Not much controversy there, but by all means carry on.

Not addressed to me, but I have no problem stating my opinion. In my opinion, Ted Cruz, Marco Rubio and possibly Ben Carson (although I doubt he will make it to the nomination) can win the required number of electoral votes necessary to win the presidency.

Just an FYI - the office of presidency is not won by 50% of the vote, it is won by earning 270 electoral votes.

Just ask: John Quincy Adams, Abraham Lincoln, Woodrow Wilson, Bill Clinton, Richard Nixon, James Buchanan, Grover Cleveland,Zachary Taylor, Benjamin Harrison and GW Bush.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Has the Republican party reached the point where Republicans are now pretending to be "old timey Democrats"? That's new. The GOP owns the Tea Party, it's all yours.
The tea party is made up of tons of people who identify as "Reagan Democrats." Sorry to burst your MSM created bubble, but the GOP establishment can only dream that they "own" anything but how they have trashed this country because of their cronyism and need to stay in power by caving to the democrats at every possible turn.

Survey: Four in 10 Tea Party members are Democrats or independents | TheHill

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...dzH_story.html

Old 10-30-2015, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VA Yankee View Post
Unlike the OP's response to my post (#99) at least yours can be followed, to your question. I don't have an issue with a debate being run by academics or others that can maintain a neutral posture. I do have a problem with every village idiot polling at 10 votes or more being included, I have an issue where the candidates fail to answer the question and ramble on over the allotted time to repeat their same sound bites. If the candidates want a respectful debate then they need to start acting like adults and follow the rules of the event.
I agree with you. I find all debates, regardless of party affiliation or office being sought, to generally be nothing more than rehearsed sound bites that are molded (artfully or otherwise) to fit whatever question is being asked. Sadly, the public mentality of today is not geared to handle a Lincoln-Douglas debate format where we could actually get some insight into the candidate.

As far as the slate of candidates, I am not in a position to judge who should or should not be allowed to run for an office.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:51 PM

18,175 posts, read 11,153,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
The tea party is made up of tons of people who identify as "Reagan Democrats." Sorry to burst your MSM created bubble, but the GOP establishment can only dream that they "own" anything but how they have trashed this country because of their cronyism and need to stay in power by caving to the democrats at every possible turn.

Survey: Four in 10 Tea Party members are Democrats or independents | TheHill

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...dzH_story.html

Your links are from six years ago. The Tea Party now is nothing more than the most extreme portion of the GOP base. I read the Tea Party blogs every day. They are pure GOP and the GOP owns them.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:54 PM

19,899 posts, read 15,907,895 times
Gosh damn for once good for them. If I were a politician I would do the same. Not because they are patsy's or anything like that. get real please.

I would want to be treated fairly, as the other side. Face it, the other side, they give baby questions and you all know it. Ask Killary about her problems, no they stay away from that.

There is a bias, and anyone who says know are fooling not one single person. For gosh sakes the night of the debate, I had democrat friends who called, and said they were appalled by the actions of the moderators and they thought it unfair. I thanked them for not being democrat jerks, who only see things one way, thru their own color glasses.

About dang sweet time they do something right like this. Next dem debate lets have some of Fox News Moderators and see how the dems like it. Think they would stand for that crap, in one word hell no.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:56 PM

10,839 posts, read 14,875,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
38. Bush: should government treat fantasy sports as gambling?
39. Christie: climate change, why should we do about it
40. Paul: Should we oppose Medicare?
41. Trump: Growing the economy without cutting Medicare and Social Security
42. Carson replacing Medicare
CLOSING STATEMENTS
Asking about fantasy sports was a very bad question with the debate winding down. No one knew what questions CNBC would ask and we thought it would be a good debate after the FOX and CNN debacles.
We won't watch any more debates until Hillary faces off with the GOP nominee. If that is Cruz or Rubio or Carson or Trump it does not matter.

The Rubio Super Pac suggested that the likely nominee will come from the aforementioned 4 names. I guess the Rubio camp assumes Carson and Trump will fall in the polls and get out leaving Rubio and Cruz.

Rand Paul even said Trump should drop out now having fallen to second place in some polls. Paul needs to evaluate his own standing in the polls.

Old 10-30-2015, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Your links are from six years ago. The Tea Party now is nothing more than the most extreme portion of the GOP base. I read the Tea Party blogs every day. They are pure GOP and the GOP owns them.
Just because the articles are dated doesn't diminish the fact that self identified democrats are members of various tea parties across the country.

The fact that you ready "Tea Party blogs" every day doesn't change that. I find it fascinating that you read those blogs...does it feed some desire within you, since it is obvious you are not reading them for any real purpose other than to mock and malign them or confirm your predetermined viewpoint.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or