U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 10:30 AM

4,058 posts, read 6,403,817 times

Advertisements

American voters must be so fed up with politics as usual that they are willing to have a non-politician run for president? This is like being dissatisfied with your doctor and hiring a plumber instead. If Carson is elected the sitting politicians will eat him alive.
Is there one republican politician that republicans will back?

Outside of inexperience the one thing that disturbs me most about Carson is his slow speech. I think I met people on thorazine who spoke faster that he does and made more sense. Talk about ducking questions. Then we have Carson's attack on women and his reference to abortion and slavery.

Ben Carson Says There's A War On 'What's Inside Of Women,' Leaving Out Some Crucial Context
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 11:14 AM

14,578 posts, read 9,645,740 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRR View Post
Granted. if you don't incur the debt, you don't have to raise the debt ceiling. But raising the debt ceiling is to pay for the debts that the government has already incurred. Don't you feel that we should pay for what we have already put on the credit card? It would seem the time for having the discussion on government spending is before the spending has been done.
Isnít this like balance transfer? You donít have money to make the minimum payment so you transfer the entire balance to another card. This buys you a month or so but you accrue interest from day one. You can do this until you run out of cards. Problem is the government issues its own cards. Wouldnít that be wonderful?

Old 11-03-2015, 11:40 AM

21,634 posts, read 11,087,932 times
People that have a credit card have a debt ceiling-a limit on what we can spend on that credit card.. Carson says why should we keep raising the debt ceiling higher? We should cut spending and then we don't have to raise the debt ceiling. This interviewer is brain dead to not see it is connected.

I liked Carson from the beginning . He would make a wonderful president! Many people I know like him too.

Old 11-03-2015, 11:55 AM

3,829 posts, read 2,784,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by odanny View Post
Ben Carson is so in over his head right now. He is quiet and soft spoken because if he really started speaking on his knowledge of various subjects any President needs to know about he would sound ridiculous.

I don't get where people thing Ben Carson is "smart". Having a talent does not equate intelligence. If I spent an entire life studying one subject, I may become an "expert", but that does not equate intelligence. Carson has spent his entire life in a cocoon not having to deal with world issues. He should be lobbying for Surgeon General instead. Maybe he should start as Mayor of his town and see how that works out first. We already made the mistake of electing a "community organizer" with no experience. We can't afford more on-the-job training.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YgGvd1UPZ88

Old 11-03-2015, 12:05 PM

677 posts, read 489,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
People that have a credit card have a debt ceiling-a limit on what we can spend on that credit card.. Carson says why should we keep raising the debt ceiling higher? We should cut spending and then we don't have to raise the debt ceiling. This interviewer is brain dead to not see it is connected.

I liked Carson from the beginning . He would make a wonderful president! Many people I know like him too.
The problem is that Congress already agreed to a budget and/or budget continuation to spend that money. What Carson is advocating is the equivelent of going and buying a new Lexus, signing the loan, but then when the bill comes in to pay saying "naaaah, I can't afford this I'm not going to pay." Us doing that would collapse the entire world economy and utter %&$# us as a nation ...

Old 11-03-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToddATX View Post
The problem is that Congress already agreed to a budget and/or budget continuation to spend that money. What Carson is advocating is the equivelent of going and buying a new Lexus, signing the loan, but then when the bill comes in to pay saying "naaaah, I can't afford this I'm not going to pay." Us doing that would collapse the entire world economy and utter %&$# us as a nation ...

I disagree. You are advocating giving your kid $100 to buy school supplies and instead of being happy when they only spend $60, you wonder why they want to give you $40 change.

Every dollar budgeted does not have to be spent. The budget is the MAX amount, not the MINIMUM.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:18 PM

9,715 posts, read 13,297,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post

The debt ceiling covers money that has already been spent. It has nothing to do with the current budget (except for timing). If you don't raise the debt ceiling, you default on the debt -- and that would cost us even more.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
The debt ceiling covers money that has already been spent. It has nothing to do with the current budget (except for timing). If you don't raise the debt ceiling, you default on the debt -- and that would cost us even more.
Paying on the current debt is not a default. How about just re-submitting the budget from 2004 and calling it a day?

Old 11-03-2015, 12:27 PM

3,279 posts, read 6,586,454 times
Most politicians are idiots anyway, and Carson is a genius compared to the last Republican president.

Old 11-03-2015, 12:34 PM

9,715 posts, read 13,297,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetsRock View Post
Paying on the current debt is not a default. How about just re-submitting the budget from 2004 and calling it a day?
Right, so if you are going to pay the current debt, you need to raise the debt ceiling. Not raising the debt ceiling says you aren't going to pay.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or