U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2015, 12:26 PM

124 posts, read 108,503 times

Advertisements

The media is already telling people running for President to drop out, and not one person has voted. They don't even give the candidates a chance to campaign for office. Maybe they are telling us an upspoken truth: That big donors, special interests and the media really elect the President and the voters have little impact especially in the Primary Season.

Maybe a billion will be spent by various candidates in the primary election period on television, print and online ads before it is all done. Shouldn't we wait on telling candidates what to do until they have had a chance to present their messages to the people via advertising?

Or maybe, all the ads will make no difference in anyone's vote anyway. What do you think?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2015, 12:47 PM

9,715 posts, read 13,290,266 times
Usually it's the negative ads that make the most difference.

Candidates are pretty quiet about other candidates shortcomings right now -- but when it gets to the general election, the floodgates open. We know Hillary's shortcomings because we've been hearing about them for over 20 years but we have yet to hear about the other candidates. All their dirty laundry will be spread out....

Old 11-03-2015, 01:40 PM

19,187 posts, read 14,947,409 times
Honestly, do you really listen to the ads? I don't. I get so tired of them. I even bypass the ones in the newspaper and get irritated with that. "Nothing to see here." goes through my head. I especially don't like negative ads.

Old 11-03-2015, 02:43 PM

2,803 posts, read 1,224,976 times
I don't really pay much attention to the ads, particularly the ones that attack another candidate since negativity is a turn-off. I get most of my information from listening to the debates, reading candidates' positions, and watching interviews with the candidates. I don't really care about who is or is not popular with the media, my friends, etc.

In a fair world, all the candidates would have equal chance to run ads but some have more high-dollar donors than others. Money really does matter when it comes to who ends up making it to the finals in an election year.

Less focus on the ads and more focus on actually hearing what the candidates stand for and believe in would be ideal in my viewpoint.

Old 11-03-2015, 04:08 PM

124 posts, read 108,503 times
If ads are worthless then why will they spend billions attacking each other?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehorn_II View Post
Generally, this is the case.

Plenty of academic study has been done on the effectiveness of political advertising (and conversely the advantages of being "well funded"), and the general consensus is that it is of minimal effectiveness - low bang for the buck.

Yes, you need a baseline of funding and "outreach" to run any significant campaign, but at the end of the day, a candidate is either a good one or a bad one. Curiously, outside funding generally finds the right candidate over time (an efficient market at work, no doubt).

Old 11-04-2015, 07:08 PM

5,541 posts, read 7,468,893 times
I think things are entirely different this time around, and people not only won't go along with the smear ads which will be ever present, but will be focused on the issues facing this nation.
They will decide who among the candidates best fits their idea of a President who will address the real issues, and not be tied too negative ads.

Negative ads once served a purpose, but with the important issues of today, they won't amount to a hill of beans.

Bob.

Old 11-04-2015, 07:21 PM

4,044 posts, read 2,674,645 times
Negative ads will play a big role in the general election. Hillary has a lot of baggage, a lot of which people either forgot and don't know about. TV ads will very strongly bring them back to the forefront.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:55 PM

5,541 posts, read 7,468,893 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Negative ads will play a big role in the general election. Hillary has a lot of baggage, a lot of which people either forgot and don't know about. TV ads will very strongly bring them back to the forefront.
There are hundreds of campaign workers digging up dirt on all the candidates, and their progress WILL raise it's ugly head later on in the campaigns , but for me, they are a complete waste of time.
I see them for exactly what they are, and that is to smear.
I don't vote on smear, I vote for the candidate that I feel can best represent my interest , and to hell with what some fool in a campaign backroom is putting forth.

Bob.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:50 PM

2,320 posts, read 2,083,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curious Discussion View Post
Or maybe, all the ads will make no difference in anyone's vote anyway. What do you think?
Makes no difference to me whatsoever. I think it's a colossal waste of money.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or