Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 07:09 PM

29,374 posts, read 16,286,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by eye state your name View Post
Diversity from Latin diversitatem (nominative diversitas) "contrariety, contradiction, disagreement;"

How is it being divisive to state the truth. The fact that it upsets people doesn't make it divisive.

This has been an underlying strategy of the left since the 1960's.

The Weight of the Poor: A Strategy to End Poverty | Common Dreams | Breaking News & Views for the Progressive Community

This is the playbook of the left and exactly what Democrat politicians still think today:

Second, there are discontinuities in the relationship between the urban party apparatus and its ghetto constituents which have so far remained unexposed but which a welfare crisis would force into view. The ghetto vote has been growing rapidly and has so far returned overwhelming Democratic majorities. Nevertheless, this voting bloc is not fully integrated in the party apparatus, either through the representation of its leaders or the accommodation of its interests.

Recent federal reforms have been impelled in part by widespread unrest in the ghetto, and instances of more aggressive Negro demands. But despite these signs that the ghetto vote may become less reliable in the future, there has been as yet no serious threat of massive defection. The national party has therefore not put much pressure on its urban branches to accommodate the minority poor. The resulting reforms have consequently been quite modest (e.g., the war against poverty, with its emphasis on the "involvement of the poor," is an effort to make the urban party apparatus somewhat more accommodating).

By contrast, legislative measures to provide direct income to the poor would permit national Democratic leaden to cultivate ghetto constituencies without unduly antagonizing other urban groups, as is the case when the battle lines are drawn over schools, housing or jobs.

And those seeking new ways to engage the Negro politically should remember that public resources have always been the fuel for low-income urban political organization. If organizers can deliver millions of dollars in cash benefits to the ghetto masses, it seems reasonable to expect that the masses will deliver their loyalties to their benefactors. At least, they have always done so in the past.

Democrat POLITICIANS DO manipulate black people, and for the very reasons listed about.

Perhaps you should read Thomas Sowell.

as previously stated, those on the left would say what you claim is completely untrue and that you are simply trying to call racial issues divisive(and there for are calling the truth divisive); And in so, what you are saying are simply lies meant to divide people based on color and ideology.

Pot meet kettle in a sense.

An

Old 11-04-2015, 07:48 PM

41,111 posts, read 25,561,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
So you don't consider Food Stamps and Public Housing to be "government support?"

If you think I'm getting this from some left-wing site, read his book. He talks about when he was very poor living in Detroit and Boston in subsidized public housing and how ashamed his mother was when they needed Food Stamps to buy groceries.

So he took advantage of government programs and is now saying "but we were ashamed." He reminds me of that clerk in Kentucky who was married 4 or 5 times and even had a baby by a man who was not her husband (which means she cheated on him) and then talks about the sanctity of marriage.

They're all hypocrites.
But what you are missing and exactly what I posted is that he pulled out of poverty. He didn't say anything about generational welfare. The first step would be to learn how to read.

Old 11-04-2015, 08:48 PM

25,040 posts, read 27,794,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monello View Post
What have the democrats done for minorities, other than treat them like people that are incapable of taking care of themselves? Take voter ID laws. Dems claim they are discriminatory, trying to prevent them from voting. What I hear them say is that a certain segment of society is incapable of securing and ID card. You can't do most things without and ID. Voting should also be 1 of those things.

Look at who runs most urban cities. Democrats. Tell me again how much those elected officials are helping their citizens.
Helping people is not the same as holding their head down under the water and then forcing them back up every so often. That's something YOU made up (well not you, that's a talk radio meme), that is not how reality works. False equivalency

Chicken and egg. Which party runs cities has nothing to do with how successful a city is. You have cities that are dumps that are run by Republicans and successful cities run by Democrats. Correlation does not equal causation.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LS Jaun View Post
"To even think that parading The Help around"

So Carson who is a Neuro Surgeon is a "Tom" and the "Help" in your mind. This is the kind of talk you hear on Lib stick Alley
Well, naturally, my choice of words, which have a point to them, flew over your head. Not surprised in the least bit. Unlike you, I'm not so easily swayed by cultural populism, a term which I really advise you look up. Carson is THE definitive cultural populist, as well as Rubio and Rafael (why ID himself as Ted if the GOP electorate is so tolerant and welcoming?) Cruz. I'm Latino, and I sure as hell ain't voting for Rubio or Rafael.

Quote:
Actually, I'm a Democrat and was offended by that statement. I remember when Michael Steele was the Chairman for the RNC and people called him an Uncle Tom. It's an insult to both Blacks and Whites to use stereotypes like this.

Ben Carson is well liked because of his gentle demeanor, but he is using this campaign to promote another agenda IMHO. Nobody knew him a year ago. The same happened to Sarah Palin, although she didn't choose to be on the Republican ticket. However, nobody outside of Alaska ever heard of her either. She was already financially comfortable, but she became a multi-millionaire after selling books, hosting her own reality show, appearing on Fox as a political commentator, and getting paid $100,000 or more to speak at events. Dr. Carson is a con artist, and a lot sharper than he comes across on the TV screen. He's an accomplished neurosurgeon who is using the political stage to sell his books. It doesn't matter if he wins the nomination, because he wins either way.
I have nothing to say except that parading minorities around and using them as cultural populists in a vain attempt to recruit minority voters to the GOP on a superficial level deserves to be called The Help, especially since minorities are such a dreadfully low number on the GOP side. I pick and choose my words for a reason.

It's obvious the establishment wants to push Bush onto the ticket. Trump is gonna fizzle out soon, sucking in all the energy from the GOP voters until they are exhausted so Bush gets nominated. It's gonna be Bush v Clinton for sure. Carson is about as serious as Herman Cain. Carson has a personality that's as fired up as a wet rag. He's treated like a novelty, just like Trump. I think both are in for their own personal gain. The only people I see actually getting nominated by the GOP are Bush are President, Rubio for VP, unless Bush pulls a McCain and nominates somebody from the bleachers

Old 11-04-2015, 09:10 PM

20,524 posts, read 15,815,259 times
Quote:
Many people who didn't live through the 50s and 60s, aren't aware of these things.

When I was growing up in a suburb of Boston, I never saw many Black people. My neighbor, who was White and a member of the NAACP, hosted exchange students, which was one way I met people from different races.

I've talked about this before. It's just an image from childhood that stuck in my head. I visited a friend who lived in an upscale neighborhood after her mother died, when the family was in mourning. I think I was 11 or 12, but I honestly don't remember details from over 50 years ago. Next door to her lived a Black couple, both doctors, who dropped by to pay their respects. As is customary, they arrived with some food. I remember one person asking her for a piece. She walked over and he took some food off of the plate. Then 2 or 3 other people began asking and she politely served them. They assumed she was the maid!

My point is that, in order for a Black family to live in a home in an upscale neighborhood, they had to be better educated and have more money than their White neighbors and, when they finally made it, people automatically assumed they were the hired help. By the way, that was not my neighborhood. We couldn't afford to live there! It was a very progressive, liberal city too, but that's just the way things were in the 60s.
Not just Black people were looked down on; us "Irish" and many other "minorities" ranked lower that "WASPs" 100 years back. It is what it is. The "oppressed group" many times start bettering themselves, then they earn respect and become equal.

Old 11-05-2015, 12:27 AM

8,070 posts, read 6,915,446 times
Quote:
Actually, I'm a Democrat and was offended by that statement. I remember when Michael Steele was the Chairman for the RNC and people called him an Uncle Tom. It's an insult to both Blacks and Whites to use stereotypes like this.

Ben Carson is well liked because of his gentle demeanor, but he is using this campaign to promote another agenda IMHO. Nobody knew him a year ago. The same happened to Sarah Palin, although she didn't choose to be on the Republican ticket. However, nobody outside of Alaska ever heard of her either. She was already financially comfortable, but she became a multi-millionaire after selling books, hosting her own reality show, appearing on Fox as a political commentator, and getting paid $100,000 or more to speak at events. Dr. Carson is a con artist, and a lot sharper than he comes across on the TV screen. He's an accomplished neurosurgeon who is using the political stage to sell his books. It doesn't matter if he wins the nomination, because he wins either way.
You are right about Carson.

Old 11-05-2015, 02:41 AM

13,933 posts, read 12,836,727 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
You have a right to add what ever qualifier you want onto your
argument, but saying that I cant post a link to "we dont advocate violence"
negates the entire point of the discussion since not advocating violence is
exactly what we are basing this on.
"We don't advocate violence" is a throw away generality. I want a statement from a founding member of Black Lives Matter where they went and specifically called out those protesters who called for dead cops and shouted they wanted to fry them like bacon. I don't believe any of the founding members ever made any kind of statement like that.
Quote:
The bold goes both ways. You have clearly acknowledged that Black people by
atleast a 70% margin have voted for white Democrats just as they have black
ones. So bringing up the fact that a couple only voted for Barack Obama because
of the color of his skin is irrelevant. Just as the few racist who voted for
McCain because he wasnt black is.
We know that a great many blacks who'd never voted before, not even for white Democrats, showed up in droves to vote for President Obama. Why do you think that is? Do you think they just all of a sudden felt an urge to perform their civic duty? I don't think so.

Don't get me wrong, I'm certain many whites turned out to vote for him for the same reason.
Quote:
but to put the race portion of your argument to bed. if every new black voter
stayed home in 2008, Barack Obama would have still won the popular vote by 7.
That doesn't really put my argument to bed, because I'm not arguing that he got elected strictly on racial lines. I'm saying it was a factor, and an undeniable one.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:21 AM

2,798 posts, read 2,972,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WhipperSnapper 88 View Post
I want a statement from a founding member of Black Lives Matter where they went and specifically called out those protesters who called for dead cops and shouted they wanted to fry them like bacon.
Who cares what you want? Who are you to demand anything from them? The statements of BLM speak for themselves. They're not responsible for explicitly disavowing every crackpot who shows up at one of their events.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:22 AM

5,381 posts, read 2,812,167 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Natural510 View Post
No different from Republican politicians who reward lobbyists and rich political donors with deregulation and tax breaks worth millions (billions). What most black people know is there is a party who believes in social reform and fighting for the working man, and one which looks to take away personal freedoms, while simultaneously destroying social programs and increasing prison sentences which usually affect either them or someone in their family. Republicans talk about "pulling yourself up by the bootstraps" but remove the means to do so. Working class black & brown people have it figured out, but many working class whites still don't...mainly due to fear-mongering (manipulation) by the right.
Actually, slavery was ended by a Republican President, the KKK was created by the Democrat party, the Civil Rights act was pushed through by Republicans. Black conservatives such as Justice Clarence Thomas, Jenean Hampton (just elected Lt Gov. in KY), Herman Cain, Allen West, etc., are amazing people who succeeded despite adversity and racism and are proof and role models of just how capable anyone is of reaching success by hard work and tenacity, yet those are the people that are demeaned and despised by the left because they don't fit the narrative that the left has used since the '60's to keep the black community dependent on the government and therefore have made them "slaves" to the democrat party.

Democrats have done NOTHING to help working families! Just look at places like Detroit or Chicago. Those cities have been run by Democrats since the dawn of time and how well is the black working class doing?

Democrats are the ones that take away education vouchers that Republicans support. Vouchers which in some cases, have provided inner city students with the opportunity to attend much more competitive schools where they obtain a superior education, but the UNION rewards the democrats with campaign funds and paid for workers so that anything that would benefit working families is denied by the democrat party.

The democrat party is the one always demanding higher taxation. Of course, they claim that it will come from "the top 1%," but the reality is that higher taxes has the most negative effect on the working/middle class.

Every plan the democrats create is designed to make the poor folks poorer and the rich folks richer, and ultimately, diminishes the working class' ability to improve their economic standing.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
as previously stated, those on the left would say what you claim is completely untrue and that you are simply trying to call racial issues divisive(and there for are calling the truth divisive); And in so, what you are saying are simply lies meant to divide people based on color and ideology.

Pot meet kettle in a sense.

An

I am not stating lies. I just posted their own words. I voted for Clinton twice, so I know personally the truth about how democrats see the black community. Having grown up in the South, it was not until I moved to the east coast and was surrounded by liberals that I experience such a covert and arrogant racism towards black people and people of other races.

In the south, racism is a result of ignorance, in the NE and NW, it is a result of arrogance. People can be educated to overcome racist ideology. You can't fix arrogance.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by theunbrainwashed View Post
Carson is THE definitive cultural populist, as well as Rubio and Rafael (why ID himself as Ted if the GOP electorate is so tolerant and welcoming?) Cruz. I'm Latino, and I sure as hell ain't voting for Rubio or Rafael.
Ted Cruz' FATHER is named Rafael. Ted has used that name since childhood (it is a nickname derived from his middle name Edward).

There is nothing nefarious about his name. The fact that you have an issue with it is interesting though. The fact that you feel compelled to demean a fellow Latino does prove some intellectual dishonesty in you.

As far as you being Latino and not voting for either Cruz or Rubio means about as much as me saying, "I'm female and I sure as hell ain't voting for Hillary!"

In the words of Joe Biden, "BFD"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections