U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 10:03 AM

2,937 posts, read 1,774,215 times

Advertisements

I might not agree with most of his political beliefs but I have to applaud him big time for being the first candidate (unless I missed something or the news didn't cover it) I've not only talk about addiction, but to actually have experienced it and to speak as a testament to how horrible addiction and that ANYONE can become an addict.

As he says at the end "There but for the grace of G-D go I"

Chris Christie Makes Emotional Plea To Rethink Drug Addiction Treatment
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-04-2015, 10:19 AM

19,187 posts, read 14,950,488 times
I don't believe that anyone can become an addict. I watched the video clip and he brings up being pro-life and per the issues, he isn't that pro-life since it appears to him a baby can be aborted up to 20 weeks and after that "exceptions" can be made. I have a son with Down syndrome and, yes, that does make a difference.

As far as I know, drug addicts can get treatment. I believe there are certain personalities that are prone to addictions of all types. I also believe in personal responsibility.

Christie doesn't cut it for me. Cigarettes and alcohol versus heroin and cocaine, ah, I don't see a great correlation between the two sets of addictions.

Old 11-04-2015, 10:33 AM

104 posts, read 73,149 times
"Christie doesn't cut it," for me either but, he is pretty much on point in his description of the addictive process. Unless you have worked with that population (I have) or is an addict, you probably wouldn't understand. I'm encoraged about the increased attention given to this topic but frown when I think about the national demonization of blacks as regard rock cocaine addiction. Better late than never I guess......

Old 11-04-2015, 11:06 AM

2,937 posts, read 1,774,215 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I don't believe that anyone can become an addict. I watched the video clip and he brings up being pro-life and per the issues, he isn't that pro-life since it appears to him a baby can be aborted up to 20 weeks and after that "exceptions" can be made. I have a son with Down syndrome and, yes, that does make a difference.

As far as I know, drug addicts can get treatment. I believe there are certain personalities that are prone to addictions of all types. I also believe in personal responsibility.

Christie doesn't cut it for me. Cigarettes and alcohol versus heroin and cocaine, ah, I don't see a great correlation between the two sets of addictions.
Personally I didn't focus on the bookend comments about prolife since this is for me about addiction.

I can only wonder if you have anyone in your life who have an addiction. Or if you've ever heard the stories about how people become addicted.

I did a rotation at drug treatment center and in the last like 5 years, we've seen a DRAMATIC increase increase of opioid and heroin abuse.

It's a DIRECT result of the lackadaisical attitude many doctors have about prescribing pain killers too often and more importantly not following up with and reevaluating the patient before giving a refill.

It's becoming an epidemic, not just amongst adults but also teens who steal their parents medication. Then when they can't afford or get more pills they turn to cheaper and easier to get heroin.

This can happen to ANYONE! Addiction doesn't discriminate.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:12 AM

3,954 posts, read 1,702,346 times
Christie is the most qualified to be president. Trump is up there too. It's a damn shame the darn voters will definitely choose Rubio.

Old 11-04-2015, 11:34 AM

1,705 posts, read 826,650 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elle2015 View Post
"Christie doesn't cut it," for me either but, he is pretty much on point in his description of the addictive process. Unless you have worked with that population (I have) or is an addict, you probably wouldn't understand. I'm encoraged about the increased attention given to this topic but frown when I think about the national demonization of blacks as regard rock cocaine addiction. Better late than never I guess......
I wish I could rep you more! ^^^^^^ this! I am glad the powers to be are finally figuring out that treatment not incarceration is the answer. But it seems that it only happened when whites started being hooked on heroin, until that point, they could give two sh$%ts about drug treatment as an option

Also doctors are over prescribing. When my kids had their wisdom teeth removed, the doctor prescribed 800 ibuprofen, and hydrocodone! I was like WTF?!?! Why on earth would they need that for wisdom teeth? Needless to say, they didnt get any of those pills.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:29 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,076,078 times
maybe he's so on point because he's addicted to food?....just wonderin'

Old 11-05-2015, 05:12 PM

20,062 posts, read 12,038,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post

yea got money--? and one hit sometimes hooks some- depending on the drug-and sometimes people get duped why--cause many are kids-- who know nada--

as far as personal responsibility-- that is a scapegoat comment-- for everything!

Old 11-05-2015, 05:18 PM

32,707 posts, read 13,820,479 times
Very effective example by Christie, not a fan of his but he has been front and center on the issue. We have seen the example he mentioned played out over and over, someone get's injured and pain killers are the immediate solution and then....

Anyone can become an addict, poor, rich, middle class, ignorant, educated it does not matter.

Old 11-05-2015, 05:20 PM

3,253 posts, read 1,714,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
ANYONE can become an addict.
No.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections