Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-06-2015, 08:46 PM

15,292 posts, read 7,758,205 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You're missing the point. He was never offered admission or a scholarship. He never went through the process that everyone must go through to get admitted. He colored and stretched the truth, just like he did with his so-call thug background.
Not much of a point really. He says people from West Point recruited him and told him he was qualified and should apply, not technically the same as being "offered admission" I suppose but the discrepancy there is no big deal.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-06-2015, 08:47 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Maybe Carson is good friends with Brian Williams.
Funny, but Brian Williams isn't running for President of the United States so I fail to see the relevance.

Old 11-06-2015, 08:59 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jjrose View Post
I posted what he wrote.

"Later I was offered a full scholarship to West Point"

No one is offered a scholarship to West point without first applying to west point. So he is in fact he did lie about being offered a scholarship.
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
Go read post 193......then get back with us....

Old 11-06-2015, 09:00 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Watched Carson on CNN just now. I thought he was a mild mannered intellectual. This guy has serious anger issues. He went off on everyone - jabbing his finger, insulting the press corps. I think he was telling the truth. I can see him attacking his mother with a hammer now.
No kidding, that was quite the display. And immediately trying to shift the subject to why didn't the press treat Obama like this (if I remember correctly they did). While we were watching it my husband said "Ok, I'm sure of it now, he self medicates and he forgot to take his meds before the press conference"

Old 11-06-2015, 09:00 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,931,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
I would bet money that General Westmoreland COULD do exactly that - call the Superintendent OR the Secretary of the Army (both of which have Nomination power) and get a Nomination for the top Black ROTC candidate from Detroit who also had excellent Academic credentials.
My dear departed mother used to say to me "Cudda, wudda, shudda." It probably didn't happen, since that isn't the process.

Still, I personally don't care, since he wrote a book and exaggerated in it. I do care, however, that the same people who laughed and scowled at Obama for not having enough political experience are saying they want a candidate who has no political experience at all. Since I do not suffer from Republican Amnesia, I clearly remember all the jabs at his background in 2008.

So I guess a Democrat who was the first Black to be Head Harvard's Law Review, worked as a Community Organizer in Chicago, served in the Illinois Senate and then served as a U.S. Senator wasn't qualified, but a retired neurosurgeon is? I mean, first it's "we need someone with a lot more experience in office" and then it's "we don't want someone with any political experience." Ouch, my head hurts!

Old 11-06-2015, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Dark Enlightenment View Post
Not much of a point really. He says people from West Point recruited him and told him he was qualified and should apply, not technically the same as being "offered admission" I suppose but the discrepancy there is no big deal.
No that's not what he said, read the earlier posts, someone actually posted a screenshot of his exact words.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:02 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
But Carson was never offered anything since he never applied.

West point doesn't just send out scholarships to those that don't even apply. If you are going by the ad, then I too was offered a full scholarship to west point.

Old 11-06-2015, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spartacus713 View Post
No, at is point it is you that is blatantly lying.
Here you go, there is a screenshot from the passage in his book as well as his facebook post where he claims he was offered a scholarship.Ben Carson?s West Point Claims Raise Eyebrows | Vanity Fair

Old 11-06-2015, 09:07 PM

46,281 posts, read 27,093,964 times
Quote:
But Carson was never offered anything since he never applied.
Yes, exactly....he never APPLIED.......

Quote:
West point doesn't just send out scholarships to those that don't even apply. If you are going by the ad, then I too was offered a full scholarship to west point.

He never applied, where did he ever say he did?

Old 11-06-2015, 09:12 PM

24,260 posts, read 14,205,611 times
Quote:
Yes, exactly....he never APPLIED.......

He never applied, where did he ever say he did?
He said that he was OFFERED a full scholarship. No one who has not APPLIED and been accepted to West point is offered a scholarship. He lied about being OFFERED a scholarship, not about applying to WP

How was he OFFERED one when he never applied to West Point?

Based on that ad, I was also OFFERED a scholarship to west point. Harvard has scholarships too, so I guess that means I was offered a full scholarship to Harvard too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections