U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 11-06-2015, 12:21 PM
 
Location: University City, Philadelphia
22,592 posts, read 12,346,799 times
Reputation: 15498

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
It may not make it a red state, but it shows that the state is turning more red than it is blue. Like I said, Republicans haven't hold majorities that large in the Commonwealth since the 1950's.
I disagree.

Admittedly I live in Philly but have seen the populous important wealthy suburbs of Philadelphia ... Montgomery County, Chester County, Bucks County, etc. make a dramatic shift from being Republican to Democrat. Before moving to Philly I lived in the Lehigh Valley in Northampton County - which is more Dem and Rep, and that includes Lehigh County as well. Carville's famous quote is not exactly accurate because not only Philly in the east, the 'Burgh in west ... there are Democratic pockets in the rest of "Alabama" - the aforementioned Lehigh Valley (Allentown is the 3rd most populous city in the state), Erie (#4 in population), Harrisburg (the city itself anyway), an the Wyoming Valley (Scranton, Wilkes Barre, Pittston, and Nanticote) lean more blue than red.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2015, 12:25 PM
 
45,268 posts, read 17,980,663 times
Reputation: 18959
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbohm View Post
.....
in the end we do not know, a year out, how the general election will play out until it does. and we dont even have the nominees from each party yet, so how can anyone say which party will win the white house in 2016? too much can happen between now and then.
DNC has already nominated King Hillary. It's just a matter of the coronation now.

She is the defacto establishment candidate in a party that has alienated large portions of the electorate. (namely those who work and pay taxes) How it will end because of it depends upon the idiots in the GOP and if they nominate someone who can beat her, or force through an unelectable establishment candidate like they did in '12 with Romney.

If they nominate Trump, then King Hillary will be back in the Hamptons socializing with her very rich hedge fund friends in the Hamptons come a year from now. And there is thinking that Hillary might not even hold California.


Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 12:30 PM
 
32,479 posts, read 26,364,993 times
Reputation: 19123
Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
DNC has already nominated King Hillary. It's just a matter of the coronation now.

She is the defacto establishment candidate in a party that has alienated large portions of the electorate. (namely those who work and pay taxes) How it will end because of it depends upon the idiots in the GOP and if they nominate someone who can beat her, or force through an unelectable establishment candidate like they did in '12 with Romney.

If they nominate Trump, then King Hillary will be back in the Hamptons socializing with her very rich hedge fund friends in the Hamptons come a year from now. And there is thinking that Hillary might not even hold California.

the DNC did that in 2007 also, remember how that worked out for her?

and i agree with the republican side of things also. the republicans must let things play out without interfering in the process, otherwise it will be a long time before they win the white house again.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 12:31 PM
 
Location: Pine Grove,AL
23,304 posts, read 11,549,845 times
Reputation: 4317
Quote:
Originally Posted by shooting4life View Post
Except that didn't happen. No one even knew the video existed until after the attack. The video was a complete ruse to divert attention away from Obama and his re election where he was telling Americans that he had kept us safe for the last 4 years and prevented attacks. Remember binladen is dead and gm is alive nonsense he was spouting over and over on the campaign trail, couldn't let anything derail that fine slogan. So Hillary and others from his administration went out to tell America that the protest on 9/11 was because of some video on YouTube that was seen like 90 times up to that point was the sole cause and terrorists were not involved.
You are completely wrong. the Ciaro attack even happened before Benghazi did, the mastermind said he used it for recruitment.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 12:36 PM
 
Location: The Republic of Texas
66,552 posts, read 33,830,937 times
Reputation: 14261
The Likely D's and the Lean D's have elected more lean R's in the last 4 years though, like a trend is being exposed.

It is like the D's pulled their masks off too early and scared a lot of people they baited, before it was a done deal.
Truth came to light. Exposing both parties.... The reason 3 people that have never seriously run for office in politics, leading in public opinion.


People in 20 states, wish to tell people in 30 states, what is best for them.....
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 12:47 PM
 
18,158 posts, read 11,145,668 times
Reputation: 9486
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
The Likely D's and the Lean D's have elected more lean R's in the last 4 years though, like a trend is being exposed.

It is like the D's pulled their masks off too early and scared a lot of people they baited, before it was a done deal.
Truth came to light. Exposing both parties.... The reason 3 people that have never seriously run for office in politics, leading in public opinion.


People in 20 states, wish to tell people in 30 states, what is best for them.....
If there is a political injustice, it's in the House of Representatives. Because urban centers are concentrated in their population, the majority is deeply deeply underrepresented in the House. You have gerrymandered and rural districts that are a minority - controlling the majority population.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 12:54 PM
 
9,344 posts, read 4,291,161 times
Reputation: 11046
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
So what?

Even if the GOP candidates weren't outspent, they would have lost.

There are more registered Democrats in Pennsylvania than Republicans.

This year was an important mayoral race in Philadelphia and the Democrats turned out. In Philly, registered Republicans make up only 17% of the voters.
Philly has changed so much that many of it's born and bred residents would not recognize their old neighborhoods.
It has become a very different city with urban decay, immoral, crime ridden, etc.
Even the churches who try to help the poor are going under because there is no community support.

By and large the urban population centers will continue to want more government intervention in their lives to try and control the mayhem that will ensue. So while PA might very well vote (D) more than (R) because of that, I'd bet it looks like most other states that are predominately red, except in small blue pockets of the urban jungles.
Even FL is mostly red, but the tri-county are of S FL along with a couple of other areas is enough to turn the tide. That is evident not only by the colors on the map, but most of the state legislature and governor has been (R) for a very long time.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 12:57 PM
 
5,937 posts, read 5,439,380 times
Reputation: 10587
I agree that Hillary is quite vulnerable and that no one can count on certain states voting a particular way. The right person can swing some of these states in their direction. Hillary absolutely, positively can be beat.

What I'm not sure of is that Republicans are going to put up a candidate with that kind of mainstream appeal. Right now there is tremendous pressure for all the candidates to swing hard to the right in order to win primaries, and they might not be able to pull off a swing back to the middle when the time comes. Someone with enough charisma and talent can pull that off.

In the end though, a year is a LONG time in politics. A turn in the economy or a terrorist attack or a major scandal or an ill timed goof can change everything drastically. There is jut no way to predict at this stage of the game.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 01:05 PM
 
Location: SF Bay Area
12,289 posts, read 7,968,361 times
Reputation: 6464
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
If there is a political injustice, it's in the House of Representatives. Because urban centers are concentrated in their population, the majority is deeply deeply underrepresented in the House. You have gerrymandered and rural districts that are a minority - controlling the majority population.
Push to repeal the voting rights act then as it mandates minority majority districts.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 01:05 PM
 
45,268 posts, read 17,980,663 times
Reputation: 18959
Quote:
Originally Posted by Treehorn_II View Post
.
I think Silver said it best with "... if you want to argue that Hillary Clinton’s chances of winning the popular vote next year are 50 percent but that her Electoral College chances are more like 53 percent or 55 percent instead, go ahead — that’s probably about what the “blue wall” amounts to.....
Nate Silver?

He also said Trump wouldn't last.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top