U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-09-2015, 06:44 AM

3,481 posts, read 5,110,412 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
You don't even know what C.U. was about, like most you are just repeating what others erroneously have said. Attacks on the first amendment are not going to be popular.
C.U. was a case against the F.E.C. about Individual political expenditures from non-profits. They wanted to air a hit peace film on Hillary Clinton financed by the old good old boys with deep. When they couldn't do this because of election laws they cried foul and sued. With 3 good old boys on the supreme court they got their wish and won screwing 99% of the population in the process.

What resulted from the supreme court decision has almost destroyed our democracy turning into a 3rd world county.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-09-2015, 07:24 AM

79,240 posts, read 33,616,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
C.U. was a case against the F.E.C. about Individual political expenditures from non-profits. They wanted to air a hit peace film on Hillary Clinton financed by the old good old boys with deep. When they couldn't do this because of election laws they cried foul and sued. With 3 good old boys on the supreme court they got their wish and won screwing 99% of the population in the process.

What resulted from the supreme court decision has almost destroyed our democracy turning into a 3rd world county.
So tell me, why did N.A.R.A.L. become a major player in the lawsuit along with the ACLU?

Candidate A is on the campaign trail stating that Planned Parenthood is profiting off fetus parts and that he should be elected to stop that.

Why is it that P.P. and NARAL shouldn't be able to pool their money to counter that argument?

Old 11-09-2015, 08:09 AM

Quote:
So tell me, why did N.A.R.A.L. become a major player in the lawsuit along with the ACLU?

Candidate A is on the campaign trail stating that Planned Parenthood is profiting off fetus parts and that he should be elected to stop that.

Why is it that P.P. and NARAL shouldn't be able to pool their money to counter that argument?
That isn't what the decision opened the door to. What happened is we now have billionaires who are bankrolling races with their hand picked candidates who are at their beck and call. Tell me if this is good democracy?

Old 11-09-2015, 09:46 AM

Quote:
That isn't what the decision opened the door to. What happened is we now have billionaires who are bankrolling races with their hand picked candidates who are at their beck and call. Tell me if this is good democracy?
No one can give a candidate more than $2500. It has to be fully divulged who gives what also.

You didn't answer my question either......why did NARAL get involved with the lawsuit?

Old 11-09-2015, 11:46 AM

46,053 posts, read 29,533,646 times
Quote:
No one can give a candidate more than $2500. It has to be fully divulged who gives what also.

You didn't answer my question either......why did NARAL get involved with the lawsuit?
That is why we have things like Citizens United and Super PACs, it solves that pesky donation limit problem.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
That is why we have things like Citizens United and Super PACs, it solves that pesky donation limit problem.
The 2014 NC race shows how broken the system is.

Now back to my ? on day 5, how do republicans win?

Old 11-09-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife78 View Post
Other than C.U. having absolutely nothing to do with campaign donations.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
The 2014 NC race shows how broken the system is.

Now back to my ? on day 5, how do republicans win?
You don't answer my questions, why do you expect others to answer yours?

Old 11-09-2015, 12:14 PM

9,876 posts, read 6,620,476 times
Quote:
If you're talking about direct money into campaigns, you may have a point. However, Citizens United has however unleashed the rise of organizations like SuperPACS and other groups that aren't directly connected with a candidate's campaign, but can pour a lot of resources on that candidates' behalf.

Old 11-09-2015, 12:22 PM

46,053 posts, read 29,533,646 times
Quote:
One no longer needs to directly donate to a campaign to donate to a campaign.

This site gives a good breakdown on how campaign donations work, I suggest reading over it to better understand campaigning in today's politics.

https://www.opensecrets.org/resource...rocracy/04.php
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or