Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 05:48 PM

3,062 posts, read 7,033,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
I also had a friend who I later found out he was working as hitman and that he hit his mother regularly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 05:55 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,350,315 times
And to think some people think Bruce Jenner is a woman, amazing how people think differently isn't it.
I have friends who have a completely different memory about our childhood than myself.

Old 11-05-2015, 06:15 PM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthlyfather View Post
Amazing what is dredged up when King H> is threatened
Nothing was dredged up except that he was a good kid according to the people that knew him. That's what was so weird. They are trying to call Carson a liar because he really was a good kid and not the bad kid he said he was in his book. That's like Bizarro World.

Old 11-05-2015, 08:40 PM

11,755 posts, read 7,116,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Nothing was dredged up except that he was a good kid according to the people that knew him. That's what was so weird. They are trying to call Carson a liar because he really was a good kid and not the bad kid he said he was in his book. That's like Bizarro World.
Don't you think it would be relevant to his character IF he did lie (or embellish or fib) about his tough childhood? Based on what's presented so far, I can't say he has lied but if there is proof that none of the supposed events ever occurred, that should damage his veracity, no?

Mick

Old 11-05-2015, 09:59 PM

37,802 posts, read 41,008,695 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Don't you think it would be relevant to his character IF he did lie (or embellish or fib) about his tough childhood? Based on what's presented so far, I can't say he has lied but if there is proof that none of the supposed events ever occurred, that should damage his veracity, no?

Mick
If he did embellish it was over 20 years ago, not when he was running for President. Most people would lie in the other direction, right?

I'm the same age as Ben Carson. I think I would remember if a kid in my class stabbed someone...and one actually did. He also had a fight with a teacher and was expelled and he also died in his early 20s but I do not know how he died. He was in the Honors class. I remember his common name. I remember his face. He was not a neighbor. He was also in my catechism class. He was nice to me. One classmate was also killed on the railroad tracks before we graduated from high school. I remember his name and face, too. He was in my third grade class. He also had a very common name. There were 850 kids in my HS graduating class of 1969. One later died of a drug overdose in her 20s and one guy died from AIDS. I remember their names and faces.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:08 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Well, this is a switcheroo. The candidate admits a bad temper and violence as a student in his book and the news media (CNN) investigates and can't find any evidence of it and finds all these people who say he was a good obedient well-liked child in a good neighborhood.

Plus, his book was out in 1990, long before he was running for President.

"...nine friends, classmates and neighbors who grew up with Carson told CNN they have no memory of the anger or violence the candidate has described. That person is unrecognizable to those whom CNN interviewed, who knew him during those formative years. All of the people interviewed expressed surprise about the incidents Carson has described. No one challenged the stories directly. Some of those interviewed expressed skepticism, but noted that they could not know what had happened behind closed doors."

A tale of two Ben Carsons - CNNPolitics.com

I know, I know. The guy was anointed a conservative republican saint at 13.
Bunch of democrat media just taking a dump on him.

Clue. Democrats could care less about Carson. It's conservative republicans who fear him most. He's stealing their thunder with a velvet glove and a smooth delivery of bovine produce.

Plus he's a black republican. As rare as the legendary Green Costa Rican tree frog.

Old 11-05-2015, 10:37 PM

42,850 posts, read 26,268,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbrown View Post
Carson was 14 during the alleged stabbing incident. Can anyone here in their 60s chime in on how well you remember your classmates in 8th or 9th grade? Also, even violent people are not violent most of the time so it's no surprise no one remembers Carson as a violent guy.
I remember quite a bit about my classmates from junior high and I certainly would remember if one stabbed someone, or even if they had bragged about doing so.

Old 11-06-2015, 04:25 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,170,027 times
Carson is now calling this investigation a "smear campaign." CNN considers the "facts" written in his books as being part of his biography are important, and they need to be verified.

First he told CNN that the names (of the classmates he stabbed/beat) were fiction, then he said that the names belong to close relatives.

Carson needs to realize that he is going to get vetted by the media, whether he likes it or not.

http://www.cnn.com/2015/11/05/politi...-violent-past/

Old 11-06-2015, 05:02 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,853,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I'm pretty sure his "violent" childhood was fabricated to sell books.
Yep .... "Gangsta" sells.... even when pretending.

Old 11-06-2015, 05:59 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,007,828 times
I admit, I am ambivalent about this subject. On the one hand, it would make some sense to not put 'real names' in an autobiography concerning someone you say you stabbed. The stabbee would probably not like to be mentioned.

On the other hand, Dr. Carson, as reported by CNN, said that he used made-up names because "I know how you guys (media) operate" (or close to it, from memory). I doubt that Dr. Carson had any thought of running for President in 1990 (the year the book was published; meaning he probably wrote it in 1989), which would start the 'vetting' process.

Then again, if one desires to write an autobiography showing how one overcame adversity to achieve success, one must come up with some adversity to overcome. Simply writing "I was born to a poor single mother, who worked three jobs to put me through school, college and medical school", indicates that it was the mother whom overcame adversity, while the son coasted.

Most autobiographies that I have read over the years, concerning people who became devout Christians, usually has some type of 'sin' they had to overcome before seeing the light, whether it be athletes, public figures, or whomever. Ii think one exception was Billy Graham: I read his book years ago, and I don't recall him engaging in criminal conduct or such before he became 'saved' at a revival in the 1940s (of course, in his mind, he was still a desperate sinner before being saved).

In the Autobiography of Malcolm X, it is detailed how he (I forget his real name) was a criminal in youth, which I tended to believe due the fact that he was in prison for a crime, and was called "Satan" to boot by his friends (of course, he may have made up the nickname).

On the whole, I tend to believe Dr. Carson about his youth. While I have no interest in voting for him, I do admire his achievements.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections