U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-05-2015, 02:54 PM

34,708 posts, read 33,734,897 times

Advertisements

Well, this is a switcheroo. The candidate admits a bad temper and violence as a student in his book and the news media (CNN) investigates and can't find any evidence of it and finds all these people who say he was a good obedient well-liked child in a good neighborhood.

Plus, his book was out in 1990, long before he was running for President.

"...nine friends, classmates and neighbors who grew up with Carson told CNN they have no memory of the anger or violence the candidate has described. That person is unrecognizable to those whom CNN interviewed, who knew him during those formative years. All of the people interviewed expressed surprise about the incidents Carson has described. No one challenged the stories directly. Some of those interviewed expressed skepticism, but noted that they could not know what had happened behind closed doors."

A tale of two Ben Carsons - CNNPolitics.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-05-2015, 02:57 PM

5,382 posts, read 2,200,327 times
I'm sure any juvi records have been expunged or are confidential.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:02 PM

3,114 posts, read 2,529,613 times
Did anybody remember if he tried to store grain in a pyramid?

Old 11-05-2015, 03:03 PM

9,715 posts, read 13,331,208 times
I'm pretty sure his "violent" childhood was fabricated to sell books.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:12 PM

34,708 posts, read 33,734,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I think that's what CNN is trying to get at. It just seems funny that they are trying to disprove that he was bad.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:27 PM

12,058 posts, read 16,795,827 times
While I'm skeptical of pretty much everything Ben Carson says, this line of thought really burns me. Similarly to how some news reports claimed no one knew Obama when he was at Harvard, this sort of thing is just plain silly. People's memories fade or might not have known what was going on.

For example, a friend of mine who was a senior when I was a freshman in high school went on 3 years later to murder several people in a horrific drug induced massacre with several friends (including a fireman). It was horrendous and came as a total shock to me who had known him as a well behaved, smart guy. That was only the side I saw of him and it later came out that he had a pattern of violence at home and in his neighborhood. Had you asked any of his friends from school, however, no one would have known. Similarly, I recently had an article published in a magazine about growing up Jewish in my rural Georgia community. I had several childhood friends get very upset by what I said, claiming they don't remember it happening. I'm sure if I ever reach any level of fame in my life, that article will be scrutinized and those childhood friends will come out of the woodwork claiming it was all made up.

There are enough real things Ben Carson says or believes to criticize without going into the muck.

Old 11-05-2015, 03:31 PM

9,715 posts, read 13,331,208 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
I think that's what CNN is trying to get at. It just seems funny that they are trying to disprove that he was bad.
Well, it's all part of vetting a President. Remember when they went to Indonesia to vet Obama's childhood?

Old 11-05-2015, 03:38 PM

371 posts, read 306,276 times
Carson was 14 during the alleged stabbing incident. Can anyone here in their 60s chime in on how well you remember your classmates in 8th or 9th grade? Also, even violent people are not violent most of the time so it's no surprise no one remembers Carson as a violent guy.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:01 PM

12,358 posts, read 7,760,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
I read where he needed to have a good back story to explain how Jesus saved him from his past---which is a big deal in his church---and that's when he invented the thug story.

Old 11-05-2015, 04:11 PM

14,756 posts, read 10,655,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hashbrown View Post
Carson was 14 during the alleged stabbing incident. Can anyone here in their 60s chime in on how well you remember your classmates in 8th or 9th grade? Also, even violent people are not violent most of the time so it's no surprise no one remembers Carson as a violent guy.
I was getting ready to make that point. Except someone waaay to the extreme, I don't even remember faces from that time other than very close friends, let alone any tidbits about them. I do remember we had a pregnant girl, but I can't remember her name. I remember a girl got hit by a car, but I can't remember her name. Now, if you want to know something about my best buddy Becky, I might be able to conger up SOME memories.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections