Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-06-2015, 09:13 PM

16,550 posts, read 8,584,349 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WeHa View Post
I don't understand how the Republicans can claim to be having a fair or balanced primary election when not all candidates are allowed to debate.

Whatever.

So you'd rather have a bunch of candidates answering only a few questions each vs. a smaller number being vetted better?

At least the (R) debates thus far have been real, not a sham like the (D) debate where they are on stage just trying to make Hillary look good.

`
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-07-2015, 12:31 AM

7,578 posts, read 5,321,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I am not sure I have a solution but this is the first time the media are deciding who is “worthy” of being heard. Does it also mean they won’t be polled again?
The Republican Party (Democrats as well) could join the 21st century and build an interactive online series of debates.

Old 11-07-2015, 04:05 AM

2,334 posts, read 2,646,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
He didn't just serve, he retired as an officer - Colonel.

"In 2015, Graham retired from the Air Force with over 33 total years of service, after reaching the statutory retirement age of 60 for his rank." Wikipedia

He was a lawyer/JAG
I know everyone will say, "God, here she comes again, dragging in Lindsey Graham," but look at this guy's experience; he's also been a senator for 12 years. He's been on all these committees in the House, and he's been to war zones in the Middle East 30+ times. If you hate Hillary or Obama, this is the man. He knows exactly how things work, and that means he knows how to change them.

Committee on Appropriations
Subcommittee on Commerce, Justice, Science, and Related Agencies
Subcommittee on Defense
Subcommittee on Energy and Water Development
Subcommittee on Labor, Health and Human Services, Education, and Related Agencies
Subcommittee on the Department of State, Foreign Operations, and Related Programs (Chairman)
Subcommittee on Transportation, Housing and Urban Development, and Related Agencies

Committee on Armed Services
Subcommittee on Emerging Threats and Capabilities
Subcommittee on Personnel (Chairman)
Subcommittee on Seapower

Committee on the Budget
Committee on the Judiciary
Subcommittee on Antitrust, Competition Policy and Consumer Rights
Subcommittee on the Constitution, Civil Rights and Human Rights
Subcommittee on Crime and Terrorism (Chairman)
Subcommittee on Privacy, Technology and the Law

Previous Assignments
Committee on Health, Education, Labor and Pensions (2003–2005)
Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition and Forestry (2007–2009)
Select Committee on Intelligence (2007–2009)
Committee on Veterans' Affairs (2007–2011)
Committee on Homeland Security and Governmental Affairs (2009–2011)
Special Committee on Aging (2009–2013)

Caucus Memberships
International Conservation Caucus
Senate National Guard Caucus (Co-Chair)
Sportsmen's Caucus
Senate Oceans Caucus

He's not afraid of anyone, and he's excellent orator: Please consider watching this. He's not just a funny guy; he's angry as hell at Democrats, and he has a fierce passion.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jDpNKHvVAms

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyRider View Post
I am not sure I have a solution but this is the first time the media are deciding who is “worthy” of being heard. Does it also mean they won’t be polled again?
I guess not, which is lousy, ridiculous, makes no sense, and is insulting to me as a US citizen. I don't believe "polls" are correct. There's too much margin for error.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheWiseWino View Post
The Republican Party (Democrats as well) could join the 21st century and build an interactive online series of debates.
No kidding! Now THAT is a brilliant, easy-to-control, and mistake-free idea, but here we are on a message board thinking up these things while Reince Priebus and those guys run around trying to protect and promote the ones they think will do well and the ones who have been paid by the Super PACs. Why are we being left behind? Why are we being controlled? Aren't "we" The People?

Makes me furious. And I want Chris Christie's numbers to rise as well, because he's the only other one who shows real passion, knowledge of what's going on, and knows how to change it.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:32 AM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Graham doesn't qualify to be a door stop.

Old 11-07-2015, 05:40 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,672,365 times
I know there are a handful of you who are really disappointed and I do like some of what Graham has to say, but it is obvious he isn't going to excite enough people to support a decent campaign. We have to get the field down somehow. Heck I was disappointed 8 years ago when Thompson dropped out, but I got over it. Being qualified for an office takes more than just experience.

Old 11-07-2015, 06:21 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
I don't understand why. He seems to have nothing special to offer. Probably bought his way in like Bush.
Kasich, who used to have a Fox News show, may win the Fox Business News debate which is maybe why they did cartwheels to get the establishment guy on the main debate stage. He'll do very well on budget talk. He was Chairman of the House Budget Committee when he was in Congress. And as Governor of Ohio, he eliminated a six billion dollar shortfall and wound up with a $2 billion rainy day fund.

You will know if Fox Business Channel is trying to downgrade Trump if Trade is not an issue topic in a business themed debate.

Old 11-07-2015, 08:35 AM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
He didn't just serve, he retired as an officer - Colonel.

"In 2015, Graham retired from the Air Force with over 33 total years of service, after reaching the statutory retirement age of 60 for his rank." Wikipedia

He was a lawyer/JAG
Good for him. My Dad was a Lt Colonel and I have great respect for those that can hang in that long and make it that far. It wasn't easy.

Now. I like Lindsay but wouldn't vote for him because I think he's too prone to want to bomb everything.

But I DO think he deserves to be one that stage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections