U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Is Criticism of Ben Carson Spurred by Racism?
Yes, racism is a part of it. 24 27.27%
No, racism is NOT a part of it. 64 72.73%
Voters: 88. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 11-06-2015, 10:32 AM
 
4,044 posts, read 2,673,964 times
Reputation: 1197

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
The "Safe Negro" comment was in response to a Republican Strategist whom claimed that conservatives are attracted to Dr. Carson because he is a Black Man who would attack a Black President. Carson was not the target of the "Safe Negro" comment. The target was conservatives who think of him as a "Safe Negro".

A sample of which can be seen in this thread.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/41830008-post6.html

"But I think a larger reason is that with a man blacker than Obama as a GOP lead, Dems can no longer logically continue the false narrative "GOP is racist" they've been peddling as one of their most prominent claims for years. They look ridiculous doing so now."
You're saying that you would call Carson a "Safe Negro"? After all, you claim it's not racist. What would prevent you from doing so?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 11-06-2015, 10:33 AM
 
4,044 posts, read 2,673,964 times
Reputation: 1197
Democrats, would you call this racism, or simply dismiss it?


Professor Calls Ben Carson 'Coon of the Year' on Twitter | Mediaite

Last edited by Ibginnie; 11-06-2015 at 02:16 PM.. Reason: hotlinking/copyright
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 10:40 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
9,873 posts, read 6,569,832 times
Reputation: 6251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Ben Carson has two black parents, Obama had one. It doesn't take a brain surgeon to figure that one out.
And again, who appointed you the arbiter of "blackness"?

Many Republicans love to try to squelch arguments by telling their opponents they're playing the race card - until they do that themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 10:42 AM
 
Location: Alameda, CA
7,465 posts, read 3,945,113 times
Reputation: 1369
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
You're saying that you would call Carson a "Safe Negro"? After all, you claim it's not racist. What would prevent you from doing so?
"Safe Negro" in and of its self is not racist. Depends on how its used. In this case the racism was from the Republican Strategist, who frankly was claiming (or admitting) conservatives are attracted to Dr. Carson because he is Black.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 10:52 AM
 
4,044 posts, read 2,673,964 times
Reputation: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
"Safe Negro" in and of its self is not racist. Depends on how its used. In this case the racism was from the Republican Strategist, who frankly was claiming (or admitting) conservatives are attracted to Dr. Carson because he is Black.
You would seriously go out on the street and call someone a "Safe Negro"?

I think that says more about you and your political ideology than anything.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 10:54 AM
 
4,044 posts, read 2,673,964 times
Reputation: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
And again, who appointed you the arbiter of "blackness"?

Many Republicans love to try to squelch arguments by telling their opponents they're playing the race card - until they do that themselves.
Did you ever make it to 5th grade? Since you apparently didn't, I'll teach you some fractions:

Obama: 1/2 White + 1/2 Black = 50% White; 50% Black

Carson: 1/2 Black + 1/2 Black = 100% Black


You're simply being dense.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 10:57 AM
 
1,721 posts, read 1,002,270 times
Reputation: 1117
Quote:
Originally Posted by sandsthetime View Post
No. Its because he is politically ignorant.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Why are the people in this thread who are trying to claim Carson is the victim of racism trying so hard to ignore the fact that the man is ignorant of some pretty basic stuff and THAT is why he's getting panned? You can't claim the Founding Fathers had no political experience in elected offices and not expect to be called out for it. That's not racism! If you're a front runner you're going to get nitpicked on everything you say. It's part of the vetting process.
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
Benjamin Solomon Carson, M.D., could be green, for all I care, but I would not vote for any person that believes the Earth is 6,000 years old, or that prison proves that being Gay is a 'choice', or that the pyramids of Egypt were built to store grain, etc.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floorist View Post
I am sure that some people don't like him because he is black and that is not right. Many didn't like Obama because he is black. But Carson just says so many stupid things that he scares me. How can you vote for a creationist? Do you really want a president who is anti-science? He reminds me too much of Sam Brownback.
This.

Most of us don't support Carson for the same reason we don't support Trump: They're both politically ignorant, inexperienced, and grossly unqualified.

Racism is still prevalent, and I'm sure there are some who don't like Carson for being AA, in much the same way sexism is still prevalent, and some don't like Hilary for this reason. But regardless of his ethnicity, Carson is simply ridiculously unqualified to be POTUS. Period. Really, that's it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 10:57 AM
 
Location: Silicon Valley, CA
9,873 posts, read 6,569,832 times
Reputation: 6251
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
Did you ever make it to 5th grade? Since you apparently didn't, I'll teach you some fractions:

Obama: 1/2 White + 1/2 Black = 50% White; 50% Black

Carson: 1/2 Black + 1/2 Black = 100% Black


You're simply being dense.

Why don't you let black people self-identify for themselves? Again, you don't get to decide that. So what?

Historically, African Americans have always had mixed parentage. Malcolm X, Ben Jealous, Lena Horne, etc.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 11:02 AM
 
4,044 posts, read 2,673,964 times
Reputation: 1197
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
Why don't you let black people self-identify for themselves? Again, you don't get to decide that. So what?

Historically, African Americans have always had mixed parentage. Malcolm X, Ben Jealous, Lena Horne, etc.
Do you, on the same token, criticize Republicans for not adhering to scientific principles? Facts are facts. Carson has a higher percentage, a much higher percentage actually, of African ancestry. Why are you denying scientific and genealogical principles?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 11-06-2015, 11:04 AM
 
5,382 posts, read 2,185,560 times
Reputation: 1468
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dequindre View Post
I guess Republicans making history in Kentucky with the first black lieutenant governor is just a "counter", right?

Republicans make history in Kentucky election | Fox News
Nah, they will chalk it up to tokenism or demean this woman as not really being black. The fact that Republican elected the first black man to the US senate in 1870 and is responsible for the historic election of the only black person to be elected to both houses of Congress, just means that we use black people, merely for tokenism.

Why? Because democrats don't believe in equality of the races, they believe in equality for people that remain a loyal voting block to the party.

Why haven't the democrats commented about the fact that there are so many young rising stars in the GOP that are a variety of ethnic backgrounds? None of them are part of the political machine either. People like Mia Love or Janean Hampton, TEA PARTY Candidates, are winning elections all over the country and proving that the democrat's characterization of the "racist tea party" are blatantly false!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Similar Threads
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top